• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your thoughts on taking prescription medication?

ftfipps

I am considering getting back on medication. I have taken most of the anti-depressants and several ADHD medications throughout the years, also several anti-psychotics as well.

I started taking anti-depressants when I was a teenager. I was prescribed Ritalin back in the late 90's as well as other adhd drugs.

My experience: As a kid I didn't really notice the effects of my paxil or my concerta. I was a clueless teenager at the time. My grades did go up after I began taking the adhd drugs. Later in life, around my early 20's I began taking Wellbutrin. I noticed increased anxiety and agitation as well as sexual dysfunction. Same with Effexor and buspar. I was prescribed risperdone a few years ago and I am not psychotic.

With anti depressants I feel happy and giddy BUT my thoughts are dulled. I'm happy for essentially no reason at all and my mind is fogged. I could be at someones funeral and I would be grinning like an idiot. I don't like being this way. Anti-depressants really do make your mind feeble. Plus they cause weight gain which is VERY DANGEROUS imo. Being overweight and having compromised thyroid function is nothing to be taken lightly.

I don't want to take anti-depressants but I'm wondering if It is worth it to feel better consistently and not be depressed and suicidal most of the time.

My stance on prescription medication: if you need it, take it as prescribed. However, if you want to go off your meds for whatever reason, your best bet is to discuss that with the person that prescribed them in the first place. That way they can guide you through the process. They can explain you about the risks of quitting, as well as the benefits. And they can advice you on the safest way to quit.

Meds I have works a bit differently to me.

I'm taking sertraline (prozac) right now. Some days I can feel fine, some days bad, some worse. More days it's this dulled kind of feeling, similar to very strong painkillers. You know when you're on a high dose of painkiller, physically you don't feel as much/any pain, yet still know that there's something wrong? This is this sense of wrongness that causes me to want to leave anti-depressants behind me. Then, after some time I get into the worse phase and start taking again, jumping in this way between numb and painful with some light-feeling rest between. And years pass.

I'd say that my meds are worth it when you need at least some respite from the worse days. Obviously without stopping whenever you feel a bit better, that would be pointless. Unexplained giddiness or full numbness are still better than this... painful numbness. At least for some time.

Depression makes me always think that I deserve it and should stay like this, without taking meds, without trying. Please remember that it's an illness talking. Think it through logically and decide.

do research - (seroxat causes suicidal ideation in teenagers and has caused suicide )find the one with the least side-effects try to stay on a low dose -keep talking on the forum ,if there's one available to talk on a mental health hotline - it's not just for being suicidal ,if there's anything you don't want to tell someone you don't trust keep a journal.
this is a suggestion !think about a gratitude journal! it's a known psychological fact if you write down what you are grateful for! it has a good effect on depression.

I would assume that doctors would, be willing to moving a patient to a different medication if patient with in reason. Is this correct?

My stance on prescription medication: if you need it, take it as prescribed. However, if you want to go off your meds for whatever reason, your best bet is to discuss that with the person that prescribed them in the first place. That way they can guide you through the process. They can explain you about the risks of quitting, as well as the benefits. And they can advice you on the safest way to quit.

Meds never worked for me; they just made things worse and trapped me in a semi-functional state of being from which there was no escape until I stopped taking them. Ultimately, I found that immersing myself in cognitive behavioral therapy for a while was much more effective over the long-term than anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds. (Not telling you what to do; just describing what did, and didn't, work for me.)

I would assume that doctors would, be willing to moving a patient to a different medication if patient with in reason. Is this correct?
It would be no more than reasonable, in my opinion. Especially if someone is supposed to take a drug for a long time, it's in everyone's best interest to make sure it's well-tolerated.

My thoughts on it... heavily, heavily opposed to prescription drugs. One of the biggest problems with healthcare today is that the General Practitioners are inadequate and so hopelessly inept. Have had friends die because docs put them on the wrong drugs. Taken as prescribed and directed.
Go in for a hip problem, couldn't walk more than block without extreme pain. she wanted to put me on some hardcore pain killers. Said she didn't know what else to do, that there was nothing else.
Saw a chiropractor problem was fixed, no issues. After months of study and research of course.

This also applies to depression, anxiety, panic, and many, many other things.
Using depression as an example. The first thing they want to put you on are SSRI's. Not to mention depression is an all encompassing diagnosis. If you go in there with less than a massive smile on your face... boom, must be depressed. Akham's razor is a lie. The simplest explanation is based on a false doctrine in this case furthermore the simplest explanation reached by some with a mediocre I.Q and no critical thought will be drastically different from one who has both high I.Q and critical thought.
Anyway not a single one that i have encountered has ever mentioned getting more sunlight. Changing diet. Getting a dog. Strengthening relationships. Exercising. Serotonin supplements. Various other supplements. Optimizing gut flora / bacteria. meditation. prayer. Seeing a psychologist and doing practical, effective proven exercises. (But they will definitely direct you to a psychiatrist who will dish out more drugs). Finding effective proven exercises online to do. (Like list 3 good things that happened today / 3 things that made you happy today and do that every day for 30 days)

Drugs are alot like metaphorically selling your soul to devil. 1 issue you have might go away but then several more pop up as "side" effects. Some of which are permanent. Get more than you bargained for.

Since you said you don't want to go back on drugs please pay attention to the following...
Options exist outside of the choices your doctor presents. We live in an age where we have access to all the same information general practitioners do. Drugs are not the only option. They should rarely ever be the first option. If you do not look after a certain aspect of your life then someone will take control of it for you (health in this case). And they may not have your well being in mind. Kickbacks and prescription quota's are real. It can be a rotten world sometimes. But if you are not suicidal then i suggest you do your own due diligence. Research and study your ailments for as long as it takes. find out what has worked for others. Consider some of the options i listed here. If you don't want to do all that then you can at least select the person that will be controlling your health. Study and research into a doc that won't just push drugs on ya. You can search for some on psychologytoday.com. or rateyourMD.com
If you do go the drug route research and study the drug before trusting the white lab coat. Know what you're getting into.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My philosophy on medications is that if the human experience can be enhanced, we have a duty to take all steps necessary and wise to do so.

ANYWHO, as for ADHD meds, I recommend Vyvanse. It's all the concentration of Adderall without the twacky-ness. The effects are more like Ritalin than Adderall, but not so up-and-down. Most prescribers would be more willing to prescribe Vyvanse anyway; it's more or less abuse-proof. Don't let them sell you on Strattera, I've been down that road more than once, it does not work: it is essentially a sexual dysfunction-causing placebo.

As for anti-psychotics: they are horrible demon drugs that serve no purpose other than to chemically restrain a person by making them so miserable they can't be willful anymore. Both typical and atypical neuroleptics accomplish this by blocking your dopamine channels, making you a miserable husk too a-motivated to grant yourself the death you wish for.

This goes for anyone, if you're having issues with awful, black depression and you're on any sort of antipsychotic, that's probably why. Throwing an antidepressant into the mix is like trying to break a cinderblock with a whiffle bat; it does NOT counteract the depression. Risperdone seems to be an essential part of this autistic breakfast (widely prescribed), but its only indication is for the treatment of irritability associated with autism. And that's how it works. By making you nice and miserable, and therefor compliant.

Remember the golden rule: nobody cares if you're happy except you; they care if you're under control.

Finally, anti-depressants: I've had a long relationship with this class of drug. What matters here is the type: for example, Wellbutrin is a NDRI, norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor. That's probably where the anxiety came from; increased levels of norepinephrine (Wellbutrin's effect on the dopamine receptors is negligible). Consider an SSRI like Prozac; failing that, a tricyclic like Amitryptiline, or if you're the luckiest person in the world, an MAOI like Selegiline.

But that aside, if it's blunted mind and happy versus sharp mind and suicidally miserable: bliss, IMO. I've just recently had to make that choice myself; go on a benzodiazapine that will blunt my thinking but take away the crippling anxiety from pushing myself through a normal life with Agoraphobia, or sit at my desk paralyzed with anxiety and getting nothing done. It wasn't a tough choice. I'm actually less happy, but less tortured; still worth it.

Of course, always consult your doctor before starting or stopping any sort of medication regimen, prescription or OTC.

Reactions to medications can be highly individual, and the cost/benefit analysis is always a personal thing.

That's about all I think.

I've also written about this on other threads, but in short they're not much better than illegal narcotics, stay away from them, you don't need addictive mind altering drugs even if they are prescribed and they're usually detrimental in the long term. Look at real ways to solve any issues, I believe clinical depression is almost non existent and is often used as an excuse to prescribe these harmful drugs as a "quick fix" and this is effective a massive scam, you feel good or bad for a reason and you are functioning normally. You normally feel bad when you are being told by your brain/mind that something needs to be done to change it and/or to avoid it again, in a similar way you feel physical pain because your body is telling you to do something to stop it and to avoid feeling the pain again in future. Even physical pain killers can be addictive and the ultimate painkiller that is used is morphine (a very addictive opiate like heroin), but unlike antidepressants they're only usually given when absolutely necessary while the cause of the pain is treated (if possible) or in severe cases to ease the pain of terminal patients as that is all that can be done. With antidepressants the cause of the non physical pain is barely ever treated which solves absolutely nothing and people end up depending on them in the long term, often with adverse effects so they can keep putting off actually dealing with the real cause, but eventually the antidepressants can become less effective and the person can't then stop taking them as they will feel much worse than when they started (they're addicted), so sometimes the dose is increased or another antidepressant is tried that can cause even more harm. If you don't know why you feel down it can be caused by past events that need addressing, this may even be effecting you subconsciously, but a good councillor may be-able to help.

Finally "corrupt" pharmaceutical companies are huge business and they will do anything to keep the flow of often harmful antidepressants that they make masses of money from, they're almost like very large scale legal drug pushers, I only quoted "corrupt" because this is in my opinion. They also have the best lawyers to defend themselves when people attempt to sue them for the adverse effects of many of their antidepressants and they will pay people off if necessary to keep themselves looking squeaky clean.

Last edited:
I was on prozac for 16 years and it was only when I took courage and went through cold turkey ( no help from dr, who just kept upping my prescription), that I realised all those years of severe headaches and depression and the need to sleep and getting up late, but feeling it was too early and lack of energy for day to day living and weight gain, was all down to that disgusting anti depressant!

It was ME, on investigating this drug, that I came to see that it should only be used for CLINICAL depression and I had social depression. The difference being that with clinical, no matter what your situation in life is, you will suffer; whereas social is changing your situation and depression lifts. But I also realised that I was never depressed to begin with, because, you see, the prozac ironically caused depression and so, I had a clear comparison to make.

I stick to natural medicine now. It is designed for anxiety and oh my, works a treat, but I also discovered that it does calm down sadness ie meloncholy.

I am expecting that my psychiatric visit next thursday, will be me coming away with a prescription for drugs. Because I feel that if I am not cooperative ( at least to their eyes and ears), then I won't get what I am seeking and that is a professional diagnosis for financial help, which I do not want to mention anyway. I feel that I have to be seen to wanting to get better ( I won't get better, unless my mind can be twisted around and not fear my fellow human being).

I actually do not need to see any therapist anyway and sorry if this sounds arrogant, but I AM my therapist, because I do not lie to myself; I seek out answers and ask my God to help me. But I do understand and appreciate that if I am seeking help from the government, it is only fair that they have a proper diagnostic, because why should tax payers pay for me, really? And especially, because I do not live in my own country?

Sorry, for completely veering away from your thread.

Last edited:
I was on prozac for 16 years and it was only when I took courage and went through cold turkey ( no help from dr, who just kept upping my prescription), that I realised all those years of severe headaches and depression and the need to sleep and getting up late, but feeling it was too early and lack of energy for day to day living and weight gain, was all down to that disgusting anti depressant!

It was ME, on investigating this drug, that I came to see that it should only be used for CLINICAL depression and I had social depression. The difference being that with clinincial, no matter what your situation in life is, you will suffer; whereas social is changing your situation and depression lifts. But I also realised that I was never depressed to begin with, because, you see, the prozac ironically caused depression and so, I had a clear comparison to make.

I stick to natural medicine now. It is designed for anxiety and oh my, works a treat, but I also discovered that it does calm down sadness ie meloncholy.

I am expecting that my psychiatric visit next thursday, will be me coming away with a prescription for drugs. Because I feel that if I am not cooperative ( at least to their eyes and ears), then I won't get what I am seeking and that is a professional diagnosis for financial help, which I do not want to mention anyway. I feel that I have to be seen to wanting to get better ( I won't get better, unless my mind can be twisted around and not fear my fellow human being).

I actually do not need to see any therapist anyway and sorry if this sounds arrogant, but I AM my therapist, because I do not like to myself; I seek out answers and ask my God to help me. But I do understand and appreciate that if I am seeking help from the government, it is only fair that they have a proper diagnostic, because why should tax payers pay for me, really? And especially, because I do not live in my own country?

Sorry, for completely veering away from your thread.
Well done for coming of Prozac, yes far too many people are given antidepressants for clinical depression that is false.

Some natural medicines are effectively food supplements that are usually safe in moderation and might help, and some maybe milder forms of antidepressant, but you still have to be careful because natural doesn't necessarily mean it's not still a harmful and/or addictive drug and some people make the mistake of believing that all herbal/natural medicines are safe, this is obviously how they're marketed. For instance opium is most certainly all natural, the milky substance that oozes out of a cut seed pod on an opium poppy is left to dry and then scraped off. I'm not saying that the herbal medicines you're taking are dangerous and they sound much better than Prozac, just that they should still be treated with caution and given the relevant respect.

All I have to say is I'd be literally lost without my Abilify. Other prescription drugs did little to nothing for me, this one does. I think its mostly trial and error unfortunately as far as they go. If you are feeling suicidal you should seek help.

Well done for coming of Prozac, yes far too many people are given antidepressants for clinical depression that is false.

Some natural medicines are effectively food supplements that are usually safe in moderation and might help, and some maybe milder forms of antidepressant, but you still have to be careful because natural doesn't necessarily mean it's not still a harmful and/or addictive drug and some people make the mistake of believing that all herbal/natural medicines are safe, this is obviously how they're marketed. For instance opium is most certainly all natural, the milky substance that oozes out of a cut seed pod on an opium poppy is left to dry and then scraped off. I'm not saying that the herbal medicines you're taking are dangerous and they sound much better than Prozac, just that they should still be treated with caution and given the relevant respect.

Thank you. I came off prozac a good 8 or so year's ago now. And yes, I know that natural is not completely safe. For example. It seemed to come out of no where, but one morning I woke with a huge streak of eczema running down from my mouth to my chin! I had discovered many year's prior to that, not to use aloe vera on a weeping wound. My poor husband had cut himself rather badly and I got the aloe vera out and liberally applied it and looked with HORROR as I saw the would weep even more! I then looked online and voila found you must not put it on an open wound and boy, did I know that lol and so, when ever I say to use aloe vera on a cut or acne, I always mention the other too, for I would not want to be guilty of something bad happening.

So, having learned that and seeing that this "wound" on my face was weeping, I used something called: germaline and one morning, my husband remarked how beautifully it was healing and what did I do? Yep, I avidly got the aloe vera out and liberally applied it and went back to my husband and his face was a picture of horror, with open mouth and utterly: what the heck have you done? I ran back into the bathroom and sure enough, my wound was WORSE than before! And so, another lesson learned: not for excema lol

The natural anti anxiety meds I take (not every day), has deadly nightshade in as well as opium etc and learned a lesson there too. DO NOT TAKE AT NIGHT. The deadly nightshade part, causes extreme panic attacks and I learned that, because it happened to me. But they are all in such a small dose that as long as I am not silly with them, than I am ok.

I take risperidone actually. I take about 1 mg a day but I'm consindering a higher dossis during exams and more stressfull periods of times. Tbh: it works.
I don't have sensory overload problems anymore and it is amazing to not have panic attacks. Also it makes me less frustrated, more focussed wich means I can be more social. I dont have moments where I am completly blocked. The only annoying things about risperidone is that I can't drive with them. Besides that if you look it up online, it sometimes said it is also used for people with autism. Just because it has a certain term on it, doesn't mean it is only for that ;).

First I was anxious about it, but after being on it for a while I love my meds.

With medicines, I would say:
Research all options, medications and their side effects.
Consult a doctor who will prescribe and advise. Then make a decision.
Try an option. If there is an improvement, and the side effects don't outweigh the syptoms of the condition, then it's good.
If the side effects outweigh the condition, then explore other options, and visit your doctor again.
If the medication is ineffective, then explore other options, and visit your doctor again.
Don't rely solely on one doctor, and don't rely solely on your own research. Consult both, gather information, then make a decision.

I was given gabapentin for nerve pain from shingles, and for about two weeks my husband said I looked less anxious. (I am struggling with fatigue and the sudden discovery I am ND and trying to keep my job and my husband has a chronic illness -- who wouldn't be anxious?) But then it stopped working and my doctor gave me an 18 month taper schedule and when I tried going off it was the blackest mood I have ever felt. But I researched and got off of it in four months because chelated magnesium would fix the block mood better than the gabapentin did :) So maybe you should try chelated magnesium? Most people are deficient in this vital mineral, anyway.

My diagnostician told me lots of people on the Spectrum do not do well with these drugs. Their brain adapts and they stop working and then the person is stuck with the side effects.

So I am not a fan of psychiatric drugs :) If you have already tried them and found them wanting, there are lots of alternatives. I do pregnenolone and niacin with great results, along with a low carb diet.

Here's a good blog with a lot of OTC suggestions for supplements and the like:

Epiphany

but I would be very very cautious about statins: they are a brain poison and can ruin your muscles and thinking. The scientific theory they are based on has been disproved as a fraud, for one thing. For another, they can trigger ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) which is fatal.

ALSO, a book called The Mood Cure is a fantastic guide to these supplements according to your needs. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
I am considering getting back on medication. I have taken most of the anti-depressants and several ADHD medications throughout the years, also several anti-psychotics as well.

I started taking anti-depressants when I was a teenager. I was prescribed Ritalin back in the late 90's as well as other adhd drugs.

My experience: As a kid I didn't really notice the effects of my paxil or my concerta. I was a clueless teenager at the time. My grades did go up after I began taking the adhd drugs. Later in life, around my early 20's I began taking Wellbutrin. I noticed increased anxiety and agitation as well as sexual dysfunction. Same with Effexor and buspar. I was prescribed risperdone a few years ago and I am not psychotic.

With anti depressants I feel happy and giddy BUT my thoughts are dulled. I'm happy for essentially no reason at all and my mind is fogged. I could be at someones funeral and I would be grinning like an idiot. I don't like being this way. Anti-depressants really do make your mind feeble. Plus they cause weight gain which is VERY DANGEROUS imo. Being overweight and having compromised thyroid function is nothing to be taken lightly.

I don't want to take anti-depressants but I'm wondering if It is worth it to feel better consistently and not be depressed and suicidal most of the time.

At least anti-depressants work for you. Nothing has worked really well for me! Remeron works well enough to keep me from being outwardly suicidal but that's it. I don't feel like being happy.

I take risperidone actually. I take about 1 mg a day but I'm consindering a higher dossis during exams and more stressfull periods of times. Tbh: it works.
I don't have sensory overload problems anymore and it is amazing to not have panic attacks. Also it makes me less frustrated, more focussed wich means I can be more social. I dont have moments where I am completly blocked. The only annoying things about risperidone is that I can't drive with them. Besides that if you look it up online, it sometimes said it is also used for people with autism. Just because it has a certain term on it, doesn't mean it is only for that ;).

First I was anxious about it, but after being on it for a while I love my meds.
I don't know too much about risperidone, but I definitely wouldn't trust it.

The problem is many people even love illegal narcotics for a while, many people take them and can have a great time and at first there often doesn't even seem to be many adverse effects, even after coming down, then some people feel that they were lied to when they were educated how bad drugs are as a child and that's why I think it's extremely important to educate children honestly about both the good and bad side of drugs (the bad side far outweighs the good), but that's another story. Many prescribed mind altering drugs are very similar, the effects might not the as blatant and as harsh as street narcotics, but the long term effects can be very similar and also detrimental. A person might find an antidepressant that appears to work well making them feel better, although it is only usually blocking a non physical pain that is there for a reason and without it the actual cause of the pain will probably never be addressed, the drug is therefore only putting off the inevitable unless it's taken until the day they die. Unfortunately however the body often gets used to the drug over time which reduces it's effect and doses have to be increased to compensate, long term use is also more likely to cause unwanted side effects, especially at higher doses and the dose can only go so high. As the body gets used to the drug it also becomes addicted and eventually people find that they're only taking the drug to feel as they did before taking it at all and it can become much worse, but if they stopped they would often suffer intolerable withdrawal symptoms which are psychological and can also be physical. Sometimes different, often stronger drugs are used which continue to make matters worse and the slippery slope is very similar to many narcotics. Also the risks of side effects are often high and some can be severe, many people on such drugs change personality, sometimes adversely and they're no longer themselves.

In fact various now illegal narcotics were once prescribed medicines, for instance the street drug named speed (amphetamine sulphate) is a very psychologically addictive stimulant and is a class B controlled substance in the UK that rightfully carries a penalty of up to a 5 year prison sentence for possession and up to 14 years for supply, but it still used to be commonly prescribed for depression and as a slimming drug. Adderall is similarly banned in the UK because it's contains amphetamine salts, it is virtually the same as speed and is just as detrimental, yet it's still legally prescribed in many countries including the USA even today, shockingly often to treat ADHD. Ritalin contains methylphenidate hydrochloride which is another very dangerous drug that is banned in the UK, again it's an addictive stimulant with similar effects to speed, but this is also prescribed in many countries such as the USA for the treatment of ADHD and I've even read that some members here are being prescribed this very dangerous and highly addictive narcotic which is in my opinion nothing short of abuse, but shockingly it's very common. Diazepam (AKA. Valium) is highly addictive and is one of a number of benzodiazepines (AKA. Benzos) that are often still prescribed today for a number of conditions including anxiety and there are many very desperate addicts, when I was younger and still a hard drug addict there was often various Benzo addicts that would wander around the city centre asking drug addicts and the homeless where they could buy them, since Benzos were also often prescribed to hard drug addicts they would commonly sell them to make more money to spend on heroin and crack instead. This is just a few examples of why many doctors and the pharmaceutical companies can't be trusted and there's masses of dangerous drugs that are used to treat various conditions including depression and anxiety that are commonly prescribed today. It's a cheap and "quick fix" for the doctors and despite knowing the harmful effects, the corrupt and very powerful pharmaceutical will do anything for this to continue since they're making mass $Millions from it and the fact that they're often addictive makes them even more money, but they certainly make sure they have a large team of very expensive and clever lawyers that will if necessary even pay people off to keep quiet.

Don't take antidepressants or other mind altering drugs and if you are already on them I recommend coming off them very gradually, I also recommend finding a good councillor if possible. You have to come off them gradually because otherwise you would most probably suffer severe adverse effects, much worse than the original condition due to their addictive nature (they are nearly always psychologically addictive and are sometimes also physically addictive).

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom