• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

what are your special gifts?

The ability to shut out the world while reading.
Holding on to useless trivia that I heard only once, but failing to remember the names and faces of my neighbours.
Total dedication to my interests, of which the downfall is that those are short-lived.

Me too ie shutting out the world whilst reading. And yep, get so absorbed in my obsession, but they do not last long; however do retain the information!

I would say my biggest skill is music! I can play the piano, drums, and I produce/DJ trance (a form of dance) music! As well as that I love programming and graphic design.

I'm good with words and with connecting two dissimilar things. One thing that I have, which is not a gift as such, but has always earned me a kind of respect, is that I am never bitchy or talk about people behind their back. I include this here because, logically, it makes no sense to me. I've also never understand how others can talk horribly about people then 5 minutes later be chatting away with them. That side of social life is absurd to me.

After a long talk with a friend he and I both have come to the conclusion I have a knack for being controversial. I've probably joked around on how I like controversy at times, but it really seems hardwired in me that whenever I see something, my brain starts coming up with all these questions that make people uneasy on a plethora of levels. As if I know what buttons to push... or perhaps, which routes most people avoid. To make matters more interesting, it's not even that it's just an act to rebel, since with many thing I have no idea what the general consensus is (and perhaps in a way, because of my AS, I happily try to avoid), thus I'm not posing questions to make it difficult and rile people up because I like it in the same way a sociopath would do; it's pretty much the first questions that come to mind when understanding certain concepts. (it's probably for that same reason I wisely refrain from offering my opinion on a few subjects, because I know it doesn't sit well with a lot of people)

As it seems I also seem to have a bit of a talent of conveying my ideas to people. I know it sounds like a given and that it can't be hard, but I've spoken to plenty of people who really struggle to translate a mental construct, a concept in words so people understand it. Perhaps more general; the ability to put abstract concepts into words people understand. This "skill" probably fits in nicely with the one I mentioned above, regardless on whether you actually provide a popular concept to someone (since that's rarely the case, lol).

I guess to a lesser extent; art in many shapes and forms. I think I can operate photoshop and similar programs properly enough to get the results I want, have the same with playing instruments and recording music, or writing for that matter.

And lastly, probably that inate ability to pick up things intuitively. If I can't mess around by trial and error, or not given the room, don't expect me to learn something. At best I use study materials as reference, not as a starting point. Is it a gift? Probably depends on perspective... sometimes I feel like a monkey, lol. In those situations you give them an object they have to figure out by themselves. They start throwing it, biting it, smelling it, but eventually they probably figure it out... seems to be more of my method as well (though perhaps more civilized and with less hurling items around).

New Threads

Top Bottom