• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your controversial opinions regarding the autism spectrum?

You could say similar lines about gamers, or people who talk politics, or anything.

Point is there is no difference between enjoyable activity as long as it doesn't harm others and everyone is having fun.

If sports is your think then it is.
If gaming or intellectual conversation then it is.
Zero difference.
Yep, sports isn't my thing, but if it is someone else's thing, good for them.

Most people can't understand complex things. It is not localized to NTs.
To me, the NT/ND concepts are pretty simple, the words themselves are what people (NT or ND alike, as you point out) get hung up on. There are many parallels in society (although not one-to-one of course). I explained it to fellow ND person as "think about the -typical part, what is conventional, what they decided is 'normal'. NT is to ND what hetero is to queer, or what gringo is to Latin American." She had a lightbulb moment, like making a breakthrough on a tricky math problem. I guess what I'm saying is: in self-advocating, or activism on behalf of our people, sometimes it might be beneficial to make our rhetoric meet the mainstream vocabulary half-way.

Eating peeps for 30 days will cure autism. I love peeps, but 30 days will make me sick. But it beats the bleach cure. Lol

The world would be a kinder, more understanding, and compassionate place if people could simply admit they don't understand more often.

Last edited:
Not sure this counts as "controversial" because I get very caught up with words and imprecise usage,
(but as much pain and sorrow and grief I see expressed here by so many particularly those of you decades younger than me breaks my heart),

My primary emotion around autism is RELIEF

Having been considered insufficient, incorrect, defective, and every other negative, derogatory, pejorative word you can think
By my own family who theoretically love me not to mention friends and strangers
For my whole 66 years of life

Think about that for a minute, youngsters - longer than twice your lifetimes ;)

Knowing that I am
Just Fine Thank You Very Much, is HUGE

and having you all here keeping me company may be even bigger <3

Hey, @ra49 I'm 83% your age, old man ;)
Yes the greatest thing is now that I know, the shame and guilt are going away. I've always been ok and now I know it.

I have aways enjoyed my autism. Did not know I had it if you have superpowers no point complaining considered it a gift.

What are you apologizing for? My comment wasn't prompted by anyone in particular
My misunderstanding: I cannot tell sometimes what is response to my post or what is reply to the overall thread, and sarcasm confuses me almost as much as humor
Sigh

Neurotypicals are too obsessed with fashion, this is true, but there are few more psychologically empowering feelings than the confidence that comes with wearing a fit you chose every piece of out somewhere you were excited to go, like a concert or celebrating a major life milestone with friends. After many years of akward social faux pas, trauma and error in "dumpy" ill-fitting or chafing clothes, and being raised by a narcissist abuser who literally laid my outfit at the foot of my bed every morning through 6th grade, I cherish any opportunity I can get to maybe clean up a lil. The issue now is just to get more threads, experiment and accessorize. Any sensory issues with the clothes themselves become less relevant when you truly rock an outfit.

Everyone resents having to jump into the monkey suit for work or when they're a kid being made to go to a wedding or funeral. Maybe I'm just neurotypical in this category, maybe it's because I'm actively questioning my gender these days aside from this, but being more intentional about my clothes means agency.

Luckily I haven't seen this viewpoint here but in other autistic communities, I've sometimes seen people talk about autism is nothing but a burden and a terrible thing and they either subtly imply or sometimes just outright state their belief that anyone who is happy about being autistic must be one of those fakers who just say they're autistic because they think it's 'quirky'.

But here's my controversial opinion in response to that: autism is neither good nor bad, it just is. The statements 'Autism is a disability that results in many struggles and difficulties in life' and 'Autism is part of what makes me me and there are many positives that come out as a result of me being autistic' can both co-exist with each other.

My brother due to his autism is gaining significant wealth, I don't think he considers it a crutch. any more than I do. What it comes down to is accepting who you are and what you do with it.

Opinion: Likely most to nearly all impactful inventions, theories, discoveries in human history were at the hands of autistic people to the degree that autistic people and their accomplishments have steered humanity from the beginning through the present and will so, in the future.

Last edited:
Opinion: Likely most of the most to nearly all impactful inventions, theories, discoveries in human history were at the hands of autistic people to the degree that autistic people and their accomplishments have steered humanity from the beginning through the present and will so, in the future.
I think there is some Truth to that. It's not arrogant, if true.

Neurotypicals are too obsessed with fashion, this is true, but there are few more psychologically empowering feelings than the confidence that comes with wearing a fit you chose every piece of out somewhere you were excited to go, like a concert or celebrating a major life milestone with friends. After many years of akward social faux pas, trauma and error in "dumpy" ill-fitting or chafing clothes, and being raised by a narcissist abuser who literally laid my outfit at the foot of my bed every morning through 6th grade, I cherish any opportunity I can get to maybe clean up a lil. The issue now is just to get more threads, experiment and accessorize. Any sensory issues with the clothes themselves become less relevant when you truly rock an outfit.

Everyone resents having to jump into the monkey suit for work or when they're a kid being made to go to a wedding or funeral. Maybe I'm just neurotypical in this category, maybe it's because I'm actively questioning my gender these days aside from this, but being more intentional about my clothes means agency.
People do judge you by your clothing. How you deal with this depends on how vital the judgment is to you. If you were going to court for something, looking neat and wearing a suit might matter. It pays to dress the part if you are interviewing for a job. Some jobs have dress codes, formal or informal. The rule I was told is that you want to dress one notch better than you would actually on the job.

If you don't care about people's first impression, wear what you want. (Or not wear. :cool: ) To me, it is a practical consideration and not a moral imperative. There are also times when dressing nice for a special occasion just feels good. How you dress (Or if. ;)) is entirely an act of autonomy and self-expression, as surely as how you write or speak.

A lot of NTs really get into "dress for success" mode or need to stay in fashion as a social statement or dress a certain way to show group solidarity. Not all but many. Don't have a lot of use for it myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom