• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are they looking for?

Weezer

I had six hours of what they referred to as psychometric testing a few weeks back. I will soon be receiving the results. Some of this testing was a typical questionnaire, 580 questions to be exact. This was the portion of which I understand the purpose. A large portion of the test however was mathematics, memory and pattern recognition. I realize that this portion is testing cognition but I am at a loss as to why they are testing my cognition. I mentioned nothing in regard to a problem with my brain as to it's ability to get the job done. Does anyone know why they would test cognitive function, especially after they had already interviewed me? My wife was present for some of these interviews and I had asked her if I had behaved in a way that would provoke them to see the need. She said I looked at the psychologist why my typical "thousand yard stare". Her words, not mine. I guess I am unaware that I do this.... By the way, this test was supervised throughout and I was not allowed a calculator or scratch paper for the mathematics portion.

I titled this post incorrectly. I know what they are looking for. The question is, why are they looking for it?

The question is, why are they looking for it?
Simplified answer:
The 580 question test is the MMPI (or something similar). Psychologically healthy people answer it very similarly to each other (even autistics without co-morbid conditions). People with particular mental illnesses also tend to match each other in their odd responses.

Also, people with higher IQs tend to appear odd on the MMPI, so they test IQ, too, to see if it would account for such differences (instead of a mental illness). IQ tests also isolate functional areas of the brain.

Last edited:
Simplified answer:
The 580 question test is the MMPI (or something similar). Psychologically healthy people answer it very similarly to each other (even autistics without co-morbid conditions). People with particular mental illnesses also tend to match each other in their odd responses.

Also, people with higher IQs tend to appear odd on the MMPI, so they test IQ, too, to see if it would account for such differences (instead of a mental illness). IQ tests also isolate functional areas of the brain.
Makes sense. A few more days and I'll find out. I was curious as to why cognition would be tested but if it can shed light on "odd" answers, I understand. Thank you.

I've seen the rotating mask question before, but, not the population and friends questions.

I've taken the 580 MMPI test also. It was the first test my psychologist gave me when I started ASD testing.
It showed a Schizoid personality even though at age of 61, having lived a life of psych tests
and therapy for anxiety disorder and depression, it is well established I don't have Schizophrenia.
Some tests resulted in a diagnosis of Borderline Personality.

IQ testing for University showed genius - 160.
So this makes sense. If genius has both switches.

Here is a video showing a similar idea.
Genius or Schizophrenia?

This seems like a very strange pair of questions to go along with the idea. I looked at it, saw the first one, and thought "Of course it's only on one side". I mean... isnt that going to be super obvious to anyone? The "illusion" doesnt even work for that. It outright looks like it's a normal bloody mask.

Not to mention it's basically a true/false sort of thing. 50% and all...

Really these videos always seem a little silly to me. "Only a TOTAL GENIUS can grasp this super simple thing!!! OMG CLICK OUR VIDEO BECAUSE OF THAT BAIT LINE" basically.

Here is a video showing a similar idea.
Genius or Schizophrenia?

This video is bogus. Diagnosing mental illness and/or genius takes more than watching a 6 minute video, and I'm positive a lot of otherwise "normal and healthy" people out there can distinguish whether or not the mask is concave and which direction it's rotating.

On the bright side though (no pun intended), the channel pumping out bait like this just got a few cents richer. Talk about genius here: produce content with misleading information masquerading as truth on the surface, get a little cash on the side from Google Adsense, rinse, lather and repeat.

I can see some relevance as to the idea of this video. What I am starting to question is this 580 question test and it's accuracy. If a particular person happens to be "smart", this test points to schizophrenia? Maybe this test is due for an upgrade. If I was performing a test at work, I decide which test based on the symptoms. In the same respect, shouldn't a psychologist interview people before administering a test? I am beginning to distrust this whole system. How does one know if a diagnosis is correct or just a canned opinion based on where the numbers happen to fall. There is little precision in this......
Those with any form of autism are almost certainly going to have skewed results simply because each of these 580 questions are going to be viewed in a literal sense.
How many schizophrenics out there aren't schizophrenic. This is terrible.

Last edited:
It’s not like they feed your test to a computer and it speaks out a diagnosis based on how you did. The test results combined with the interview lead to a diagnosis. A professional needs to interpret both and often discusses this with a team before coming to a conclusion.

"Only a TOTAL GENIUS can grasp this super simple thing!!!"
ASDs & giftedness are related conditions. The former and, frequently, the latter are characterized by asynchronous development.
This video is bogus. Diagnosing mental illness and/or genius takes more than watching a 6 minute video, and I'm positive a lot of otherwise "normal and healthy" people out there can distinguish whether or not the mask is concave and which direction it's rotating.
The video doesn't replace formal testing. It is just a simple demonstration of the phenomenon.
What I am starting to question is this 580 question test and it's accuracy. If a particular person happens to be "smart", this test points to schizophrenia?
Using the video as an example, an analyst would not be able to tell the difference between [schizophrenia] & [genius] without a follow-up IQ test.

It’s not like they feed your test to a computer and it speaks out a diagnosis based on how you did. The test results combined with the interview lead to a diagnosis. A professional needs to interpret both and often discusses this with a team before coming to a conclusion.
The interview seems to be the part they keep missing. They seem almost disinterested in what I have to say. I am able to speak well given the opportunity. Hopefully this week they will take some time to listen to me.

Those with any form of autism are almost certainly going to have skewed results simply because each of these 580 questions are going to be viewed in a literal sense.
Without co-morbid conditions, my MMPI was fine, even though the tester did not want to believe it. She considered me on the lower side of intelligence (without testing it*) and, at the same time, claimed that I had, somehow, gamed the MMPI, which is difficult for even intelligent people to do. (It has very sophisticated lie detection built into it.)
How many schizophrenics out there aren't schizophrenic. This is terrible.
It turns out that Twice-Exceptionals** are frequently misdiagnosed because the giftedness masks the autism and the autism masks the giftedness.

(Wait and see before you get worried about it in your situation.)

*Refuted elsewhere.
**Giftedness + another condition; in my case, Aspergers ASD1. It is often abbreviated 2E.

Last edited:
ASDs & giftedness are related conditions. The former and, frequently, the latter are characterized by asynchronous development.
True. And the MMPI doesn't point to IQ score meaning schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia is an illness that manifests between ages 18 to 30 and is often genetic.
Personality traits pointing to Schizoid personality is what mine showed.
The interview was conducted first and more interviewing after the test.
Some previous testing from different psychiatrists were resulting in Borderline Personality.

As far as IQ, the WAIS test was administered for MENSA and obtaining a grant for University.
The bell curve cut off of 130 is for practicality purposes as the percentages of anything above that is
small and really isn't of that much import.
Some say University is a waste at that point on the IQ scale as I always ran so far ahead of my
grade level it is possible to complete college many years earlier.
But, that was a long time ago and health, co-morbid psych issues and undiagnosed ASD
created delays.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to go to University as I was able to participate in many different
fields of interest.

I don't want to portray the wrong idea here. I fix things for a living and have a ninth grade education. Beyond that, just some vocational training. They're not going to find much outside the norm in the cognition test results. I was just curious as to why they poke around in there. Hopefully when I see my doc again, I'll have a chance to speak a little. I really don't want the schizo or schizoaffective diagnosis based on some questions I answered "weird".

I fix things for a living and have a ninth grade education. Beyond that, just some vocational training. They're not going to find much outside the norm in the cognition test results.
That has no bearing on your IQ. It could still be higher than you think. It is an inborn quality. That is why they test you instead of just look at your academic history.

Had my consult this morning to go over my test results. Seven and a half minutes is the amount of time I was in the psychologist's office. Anxiety is the cause of every single problem and explains every behavior of mankind. They diag HFA and then undiag it because I can speak well and maintain eye contact. What am I supposed to do with that? Live on anti anxiety meds forever with a "possible schizoaffective" on a piece of paper? Possible seriously? I literally got nowhere with over $3,500. At least I did find out the ol' brain works okay. She said.....and I quote, "you're a thinker". What the heck does that mean? Come on!

They diag HFA and then undiag it because I can speak well and maintain eye contact.
My eye contact is better with some people than others.
I literally got nowhere with over $3,500.
You paid for this out-of-pocket?
At least I did find out the ol' brain works okay. She said.....and I quote, "you're a thinker". What the heck does that mean?
Did she tell you your IQ score? (You can PM it to me, if you prefer. That may have further implications.)

Also, have you taken any of the free/unofficial, on-line autism tests?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom