• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What age were you when you started walking and what age for talking?

I probably could walk when I was around 1,5 but I was only allowed to walk whenever I wanted to, without any limitations when I was 3 +/-. As for talking - not sure, my parents aren't sure either. I think I could say a few words when I was 2 - 2,5 but couldn't process speech very well. I could understand everything I heard and could speak clearly by 4. Some words still seemed "scrambled" at that time, but by 7 I could separate all the words and hear them without issues... at least that's how I remember it.

I said my first word (gorgeous) at 4 months old. I took my first steps at 9 months. I never crawled before my first steps, but after eye surgery at 11 months old I crawled for a couple of months while I got used to my new visual world. I'd been seeing double all the time before the surgery, and after it I saw a much more normal single image. This changed the way I saw things enough to make me lose confidence in walking for a while. Later, I lost the sight in my left eye, but I never returned to crawling after that.

Despite doing these milestones early, I had some differences and difficulties. I was very clumsy, and fell often. I took forever to learn how to throw or catch a ball, ride a two-wheeler, skate, etc. I made up my own words and eventually my own language (spoken and written, and eventually signed), loved alliteration, was fascinated with idioms, metaphors, similes, slang, and archaic language. I loved to read, and used words I met in my reading but were not used in other peoples' conversations, so I was often called a 'walking dictionary'. I also spoke very formally compared to other kids and even adults. I was also unable to speak when I was especially stressed, scared, or overwhelmed. This led to my being unable to speak at school (the environment in which I was the most stressed and scared), and some years I spoke barely or not at all when at school. This has lasted even into adulthood.. Get me especially stressed or upset and I can't talk.. It's like something is strangling the speech from me. I can't get get the words past the constricting lump in my throat.

Just thought I'd add my two cents in here. I didn't start talking until about 4 or 5 and spent some years in speech therapy, and to this day have problems with pronunciation of certain words and a life long "mumbler". When I began talking though, my working diagnosis of autism was revoked in a sense and diagnosed with "developmental disorder". Mind you, this was the early 80s in upstate NY in a mostly rural area, Asperger's was still relatively unknown, but today that diagnosis would be Asperger's. This is how I explain my diagnosis status, kinda yeah, kinda no. Technically no, but kind of yes, because of how long ago I had my original diagnosis, I imagine there plenty others out there like me that have an old school diagnosis but not a current modern one. But that's all besides the point. I only brought that up because my talking was directly linked to my diagnosis. I actually started reading and writing and drawing rather accurately before I began speaking. And my mom says I did this strange thing as a kid where I would pull myself upright from laying down purely with my abdominal muscles, I would sit myself straight up just using my stomach. But I am a freak of nature and medical anomaly, so I don't know what that has anything to do with that, if anything at all.

Walking around 10 months, and went through normal crawling stage first.
Talking: was able to at a normal age and had good comprehension, but I didn't really start talking until I was four, and then it was in complete sentences. My parents were told it wasn't uncommon when a child had older siblings.

Not sure. My Ma said I got around by scooting on my butt - probably so I wouldn't fall on my butt. Huh, sounds like I was pretty smart back then! :p

Not sure. My Ma said I got around by scooting on my butt - probably so I wouldn't fall on my butt. Huh, sounds like I was pretty smart back then! :p
Haha, I did the scooting around on your butt thing too! It looks like a baby is doing the same thing a dog dies when they scoot along a carpet using their front legs. At least that's what it always looked like to me HAHA!

New Threads

Top Bottom