• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What age were you when you started walking and what age for talking?

Sparky77

Hi, I am getting a professional diagnosis for Aspergers next week and have read that the age you start walking and talking as something to do with it, my mother said apparently I started to talk aged 12 months and started walking at 15 months, is this normal? What age were you? Thank you

Walk: ~12 months
Talk: My mother says she didn't notice the exact time, but that I spoke in sentences when I started.

Thank you for your answer, it appears I may have reason to worried here, I have read on the net that parents of children with Aspergers say 'He talked before he walked', well according to my mother I said my first words when I was 12 months and took my first steps aged 15 months and 15 months is slightly late.

I'm diagnosed with AS and I started walking very early, about 8 months. Don't know about talking though.

I wouldn't worry too much. There could be a degree of dyspraxia involved, making it more uncomfortable for a baby to try to walk, or maybe you just didn't find walking particularly interesting. There could be other reasons I haven't the knowledge to account for. It'd be like saying I have a problem because I talked after twelve months, but really maybe I just preferred listening.

Well this is just the latest in a series, she also says that I didn't like pretend play, I hated dolls and prefered lego, I was a tom boy and had difficulties in making friends and upset other kids at times. A lot of children with it do not engage in pretend play.

Walking: don't know, don't care
Talking: at a normal age, but after six months shut up complete for two years

That's right, world, a lot of talking is optional.

That's right, world, a lot of talking is optional.

That's what I'm saying. Talking really isn't that interesting. Why do parents insist that their babies talk all the time? And why do they encourage echolalia in them if they don't want it to happen later? Is it all just so they can show dominance?

Well this is just the latest in a series, she also says that I didn't like pretend play, I hated dolls and prefered lego, I was a tom boy and had difficulties in making friends and upset other kids at times. A lot of children with it do not engage in pretend play.

Dolls are creepy. Uncanny valley if I ever saw one. And pretending things seems so… artificial. If it is about interacting with a world of one's own creation, why should other less creative kids get to come in and dictate it?

Why should anybody else get to say what a child should be?

I don't know about me, but my Aspie son started truly walking at 8 months, but wasn't really talking until maybe 16 months.

That's what I'm saying. Talking really isn't that interesting. Why do parents insist that their babies talk all the time? And why do they encourage echolalia in them if they don't want it to happen later? Is it all just so they can show dominance?

Because That's How It's Done (tm).

That's probably overparenting. My parents were underparenters. I don't know which is better.

Because That's How It's Done (tm).

That's probably overparenting. My parents were underparenters. I don't know which is better.
Mine too. The were quite useless except for piano lessons, board games, and punishment. I essentially raised myself with some help from my sister. I work very hard to find the healthy balance with my boys, but it's a challenge.

am diagnosed severe classic autism,LFA.
mum and dad arent sure of exact specifics because was so delayed in speech and language,was fifteen when first started speaking small sentances but these were purely echolalic and have never progressed any further since.
am still very non verbal;the actual speech have got is all echolalic and use makaton,some BSL,PECS and more recently AAC on an android mini tablet to back up communication with,and also very impaired in language.
am a user of two firefox addons which allow easy quick translation of each word am highlighting so am able to understand language and use different language at the same time instead of using the same words over and over but most people who know self online think am more able in that way because they see the polished version.

I have also read into this. For me I started walking really late at 18 months. I don't know about talking.. But in my moms words "once I started talking she could never shut me up". I've also read into other things that have been seen in infants with aspergers. One of them being that they have atypical development (YouTube it) and what appears to be torticollis. I have read in other forums that most when an aspie is taking a photo they will almost always turn their neck to the side and squint... I have always done this but thought it was "normal"....

Echolalia is a normal part of baby development. It happens without special encouragement.

My mother remembers understanding me clearly and being able to have conversations with me when I was 1.5 years old. (In fact, around that age I made one aunt mad at me to this day because I looked her square in the eye and said "I don't have to call you 'aunt' if I don't want to".) My crawling and walking were off, but I wasn't quite proportioned like other kids. I crawled late at 6 months and she says I walked around 9 months because it was so clumsy and awkward for me.

My mother remembers understanding me clearly and being able to have conversations with me when I was 1.5 years old. (In fact, around that age I made one aunt mad at me to this day because I looked her square in the eye and said "I don't have to call you 'aunt' if I don't want to".) My crawling and walking were off, but I wasn't quite proportioned like other kids. I crawled late at 6 months and she says I walked around 9 months because it was so clumsy and awkward for me.
That's not late for crawling and walking Walking timeline: When your child will crawl, walk, run, and jump | BabyCenter but is unusually early for talking!

New Threads

Top Bottom