• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Whale vertebra?

We don't have lemon sharks here, so when @Owliet mentioned it, I immediately thought of food.

Duck à l'orange:

iu

Lemon shark:

iu

I didn't eat it. My sister took it back to the place we where staying at the time and put it in the bath. My mom was not impressed. Dad found it hilarious.

Haha! :grinning: Children are such fun. Unlike a lot of adults, they're still interested in the world and haven't murdered their imaginations yet. :sunglasses:

Your anecdote reminds me of a series I read called Down to Earth, which was a 70s autobiography by Faith Addis of a family leaving their comfortable suburban existence in London to go back to the land...growing things and running side projects, like a children's holiday farm. They had space for 20 kids in the upstairs of the big barn of an old falling-apart house they bought; shared rooms with handbasins in them. And guess what the holiday children invariably kept in those? ...frog spawn, tadpoles, fish from the creek etc. And she'd be like, "Children, you need to get those animals back into the creek, the health inspector is coming!" :grin:

When I was a teenager my father killed a tiger snake because it was getting too comfortable around our house. It was a big one, about 2 metres long and the thickest bits of it the size of your wrist. I was reading a self-sufficiency book and wanted to barbecue it. My mother said, "You're not bringing that into my kitchen!" but I wouldn't have needed to, we had an outside BBQ, and I was already preparing rabbits for table that other people were shooting for pest control (European rabbits are an ecological plague in Australia and contribute to the ongoing extinction of Australian biodiversity). Waste not, want not etc, and I think it's so senseless killing things and leaving them lying around. I still don't know what snake tastes like, but it's rumoured to taste like chicken (but they always say that...).

I wonder how long it takes a whale such as your Moby Dick on the beach to be consumed by other sea creatures.

I was only kidding about the giant chicken, because as everyone knows really big bones only come from dinosaurs. So what you have there is likely the 4th or 5th vertabra spatulata of a teenaged Spinosaurus. The lack of a neural canal is easily explained by the fact the Spinosaurus's are known not to be the nervous type.

View attachment 76946

;)
Spinosaurs used to congregate in ancient estuaries in Morocco near the Algerian border. The Kem-Kem beds have a lot of Spinosaur remains along with the prey they fed upon, the Onchopristus, a 6 meter long sawfish. The area is so enriched with predators that it is described as the most dangerous place on earth for its time. Here is a 3 inch barb from an Onchopristus.
20220314_205554.jpg

I am more convinced that it is part of the skull with the nasal bone. Please let me know what it turns out to be. I enjoy some anatomy and taxonomy. I enjoy helping with insect surveys on local rivers to measure water quality. I am getting pretty good at identifying macroinvertebrates down to family level.

Well, that's my best guess as well after looking at the skeleton and reading your input. I've sent a query off to a place I used to teach undergrads but I'm afraid it was so long ago that all the staff I knew seem to have retired or moved on. But if and when I get a response, I'll post it here! :)

But isn't it fun trying to figure it out! :cool:

I have processed various animal bones before, although most of them are from cows and sheep. Have done an archaeological excavation processing on a mammoth femur once. It was very exciting as it was a sub-adult. =D

That does sound exciting! :) Where was the mammoth femur located? (geographically)

I collect skulls and occasionally other bones for general entertainment / educational value and also have passed such things on to school science collections before. Mostly cows, sheep, kangaroos from what we find on agricultural land and on bushwalks, and the occasional roadkill fox / cat. Also I have three horse skulls from having to sadly put these animals down in their old age; we do open burials in the middle of the nature reserve on our farm, and the scavengers have them down to a skeleton pretty quickly, especially during warm parts of the year when there's lots of insect activity.

So when everything is pretty clean we pick up the skull. Just sitting it in a sunny spot over summer bleaches the bone and gets rid of lurking aromas. Although I remember people at university actually boiling fresh skulls for their anatomy labs to de-flesh them easily, and one person whose favourite technique was then to put the nearly-clean skull in a plastic bag filled with detergent solution and let it sit in the sun for a few days before recommencing cleaning. Ewww, a bit smelly. Someone else had an ant farm to clean things up. They were all really happy with getting a nice end product out of their work.

How did you clean/prep bones? :)

Well, that's my best guess as well after looking at the skeleton and reading your input. I've sent a query off to a place I used to teach undergrads but I'm afraid it was so long ago that all the staff I knew seem to have retired or moved on. But if and when I get a response, I'll post it here! :)

But isn't it fun trying to figure it out! :cool:

That does sound exciting! :) Where was the mammoth femur located? (geographically)

I collect skulls and occasionally other bones for general entertainment / educational value and also have passed such things on to school science collections before. Mostly cows, sheep, kangaroos from what we find on agricultural land and on bushwalks, and the occasional roadkill fox / cat. Also I have three horse skulls from having to sadly put these animals down in their old age; we do open burials in the middle of the nature reserve on our farm, and the scavengers have them down to a skeleton pretty quickly, especially during warm parts of the year when there's lots of insect activity.

So when everything is pretty clean we pick up the skull. Just sitting it in a sunny spot over summer bleaches the bone and gets rid of lurking aromas. Although I remember people at university actually boiling fresh skulls for their anatomy labs to de-flesh them easily, and one person whose favourite technique was then to put the nearly-clean skull in a plastic bag filled with detergent solution and let it sit in the sun for a few days before recommencing cleaning. Ewww, a bit smelly. Someone else had an ant farm to clean things up. They were all really happy with getting a nice end product out of their work.

How did you clean/prep bones? :)
Assemblage was found near a location that was had been used as a hunter site, they would follow the deer and maybe they wanted to hunt a mammoth. The exact process of processing it on site is pretty much water, toothbrush and clean it. There were cut marks on the femur where it looked like the meat had been taken off from the bone. At the time, I had some experience with processing archaeological finds from sites, so you process it on site: correct labeling, spitting for where it was found. Lots of photos taken. Clean it up, make a few observations then give it to the guys who would wrap it up in like a plaster cast to protect the bones and they would be sent further to a lab.
It was more of an interesting find than cleaning pottery....

Some of the promised local geology, which I will do in dribs and drabs.

porongurup.jpg

Here's another boulder in the Porongurup Range, and my husband impersonating a famous Greek figure of legend. You can also see the boulders behind him. Because of the age and nature of our granite, the blocks weather like this from the bedrock and then either stay put for a while, or roll downhill etc.

The Porongurup Range was formed when the main West Australian craton collided with the Mawson craton approximately 1.2 billion years ago, forming magma and squeezing it into surrounding rocks to form intrusions geologists call batholiths. The granite in the photo is therefore about 1.2 billion years old. The big bits, like the "floor" Brett is standing on and the Devil's Slide in the background, are called monadnocks - large rounded hills resembling bald heads which remain behind when the softer rocks they intruded into weather away.

A bit of info from Geology & Landforms of the Southwest (Iain Copp, 2001):

Large slabs of granite are commonly scattered over the hills and around their sides. This type of "onion peeling" forms by a combination of continual heating and cooling of the rock's surface (physical weathering) and moisture in cracks (chemical weathering). Mosses and lichens also break down the surface, but at a much slower rate.

Features such as the Devil's Slide mark faults through the granite. Balancing Rock (previous post) is an example of a granite "tor". These form when joints in the granite form blocks that separate from the main rock mass. Over time, the block's corners become rounded by weathering. Sometimes the erosion of supporting material can cause the rocks to roll down the side of the range, finishing off well down in the foothills.

The big difference with West Australian geology compared to European is that it is extremely ancient and has been a comparatively stable landscape for a long time. So these tors have had the time to weather in situ, and I'll point them out in any future pictures from various places around our granite ranges and coastline. They're all over the landscape here. :)

Attachments

• porongurup.jpg
    porongurup.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hey and welcome - I'm new here too. Nice to have another person with lots of interests here! I saw your intro thread. :)

Nature is very amazing and endlessly fascinating.
To get back to the topic that we are supposed to stay on do you have a photo of the bone from another angle ?

No, @Streetwise, those are the main angles I thought were relevant.

And re on topic - this is the off topic / hobbies section, and from my prior experience of forum etiquette elsewhere, if it's cool with the thread starter for people to diverge into all sorts of interesting side alleys in an "off topic" section then that's not a problem. And it's cool with me, and I think it's fun to find out more about the participants and their interests, and to continue with related threads of conversation arising the same as you would if you were all sitting around a coffee table talking! :)

This is so cool! All I ever found on the beach was a shark tooth :p

I guess we're spoilt down here and we constantly run into interesting stuff - there's old shipwrecks and Indigenous fish traps and bits and pieces of skeleton all around this coast, which is for long stretches really pristine and all original ecosystems in a world biodiversity hotspot, with an interesting and diverse geology as well. And the rock pools - they're like little universes all of their own, with little fish and crabs and all sorts of other critters, and seaweeds etc. You could watch those for hours.

That's pretty good to find a shark tooth - and was this in the Netherlands? I'm still trying to work out what country @Owliet dug up the mammoth bone in. :sunglasses:

But it does lead to a related question - what sorts of stuff have other readers found on beaches? Before I came to Australia, I rarely got to see a beach as we lived inland. But a couple of times we went on road trips, like around the southern French and Spanish coasts once, from Italy. I would have been around 8, and on this beach in Spain which was really built-up with houses I found a little skull washed up in the surf. I thought, "My, what a big rat this must have been!" but much later on worked out it was actually a rabbit skull!

I liked having interesting things like that, as did my friends. We all collected unusual rocks, for example. And when my family were emigrating to Australia, I was told I couldn't take my skull and other animal materials because of quarantine regulations. I was supposed to get rid of the skull, and a dried pufferfish someone had brought me back from a North Sea Island. I was very sad about that.

And what I actually ended up doing, is unpicking a seam on my biggest teddy bear, packing the skull and the fish into the middle of its stuffing, and sewing the seam shut again. In Australia I was re-united with the teddy bear and its contents. I still have the skull and the pufferfish nearly 40 years later, and actually they don't pose a threat to Australia's biodiversity, kept as and where they are. But I suppose you could say that desperation to keep my precious collection turned me into a smuggler at a young age. :)

@Callistemon QUOTE "I was told I couldn't take my skull and other animal materials because of quarantine regulations".
I still sadly\fondly irritatingly remember my beloved
vegan mushroom pate brown baguette sandwich that I had to throw out before leaving Adelaide airport in 1996 as Micky Flanagan (English comedian)says about his attitude to France "I should be over this s***

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom