• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Were you toilet trained late?

Granta_Omega

It's pretty common knowledge that children with ASDs on the lower functioning scale are often in diapers for a long time, sometimes up to 7 years of age or older.

However, those with A.S. I've noticed from the people I've talked to had some issues with toilet training as well. I am not diagnosed yet, but I was in diapers until I was five. It wasn't because I couldn't use the toilet, but it was because I wanted to follow a rigid routine and told myself when I was four I was still too little to try and I needed to wait until I was five years old. A few days after my fifth birthday I started going.

My youngest brother who is adopted I think might have A.S. as well. He also was in diapers until five years old. I know someone else who was in them until four. In general, boys toilet train later, but not usually that much later, it is sometimes maybe until they are almost three or three and a half.

Actually I was slow at developing all around in some areas. However, this is unlike most aspies. I really have no memory of early infancy except I used to cry a lot and my mother let it slip some weeks ago she had to give up her job as I wouldn't settle at a nursery. Also there had to be issues around autism as my parents always used to go on and on about how I learned to ride a bike quickly which would indicate they must have been worried about something to make a big deal about it in the first place.
There is little doubt I showed signs of actual autism during childhood. This is why I concluded I actually have HFA and and not aspergers as usually aspies are not slow to learn to read.
I'm afraid your search for one single cause isn't a straightforward path. To this day, nobody knows for sure what aspergers is caused by. The sure bet has been on genetics although my own view is aspergers can be triggered by childhood experience in some cases. Note I say some case and clearly not the majority and even that is just my own opinion unproven.

It's pretty common knowledge that children with ASDs on the lower functioning scale are often in diapers for a long time, sometimes up to 7 years of age or older.

However, those with A.S. I've noticed from the people I've talked to had some issues with toilet training as well. I am not diagnosed yet, but I was in diapers until I was five. It wasn't because I couldn't use the toilet, but it was because I wanted to follow a rigid routine and told myself when I was four I was still too little to try and I needed to wait until I was five years old. A few days after my fifth birthday I started going.

My youngest brother who is adopted I think might have A.S. as well. He also was in diapers until five years old. I know someone else who was in them until four. In general, boys toilet train later, but not usually that much later, it is sometimes maybe until they are almost three or three and a half.

Probably 5-ish. I had problems with Knives and Forks.. Not until I got shamed in Elementary School...

My first memory is realising that I no longer had my diapers on. I could still feel the pressure. Unfortunately this did not mean that I was able to ask to go to the toilet. I had many, many accidents both at home and nursery and a bit later. I was simply unable to say that I needed to. I remember thinking that I knew it was ok to ask, just couldn't somehow.

New Threads

Top Bottom