• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weighted blankets - experiences?

NothingToSeeHere

Asexuowl
V.I.P Member
I have a lot of trouble relaxing, and the only way I can sleep is under lots of blankets, even if it is boiling hot. A friend recommended a weighted blanket might help... So does anyone here have one? If so, how has it helped you (if at all)?

I have been wanting to buy one. I love the comfort of the X-ray blankets at the dentist/ doctor office and when my kids pile on top of me. I do own heavy blankets but can't stand them when it's hot. My body temperature is lower than average 96-97.1, and I have great discomfort in hot/heat/humid.
But I am curious about weighted blanket owner experiences.

My friend has an aspie grandson who wears a weighted vest that actually calms him down when he is having an event.

I got one recently. Not too helpful if I'm under severe stress, but for minor agitation, it calms me...sort of similar to the way stimming is calming, and it can replace that. Sometimes I sit with it around my shoulders, too.

I think different brands are made from different materials, and some are quite cool. The one I have can be a bit warm sometimes, but not any more than a thin blanket (I live in Hong Kong, so it is boiling hot and humid now). I think the weighted part isn't very insulating (mine uses millet), it's the fabric that makes a difference to how cool it is. But even though mine is soft and fuzzy, I still like it (actually the texture is quite comforting). With air conditioning, it is really not a problem.

I don't have a weighted blanket but I do have a blanket that has a certain texture and feel to it that calms me down. I find great calming down feeling when I can wrap up in my blanket and rock. I sometimes have a piece of fabric in my pocket to feel like my blanket when I can't be with my blanket. It is a great help if something comes up that gets me wound up and tense.

I have been wanting to buy one. I love the comfort of the X-ray blankets at the dentist/ doctor office and when my kids pile on top of me. I do own heavy blankets but can't stand them when it's hot. My body temperature is lower than average 96-97.1, and I have great discomfort in hot/heat/humid.
But I am curious about weighted blanket owner experiences.
Oh gosh, me too... I love the x-ray blanket and I have a tad of white coat syndrome. 0.0 I hadn't even thought of this honestly... I'd probably love a weighted blanket. I like quilts better than regular blankets, and I usually sleep in a heavy hoodie even if it's warm. I kind of have to freeze the room in order to sleep because I like to be covered. Are any brands/suppliers better than others, experienced members?

I don't have a weighted blanket but i would probably like one. I like the weighted vest things at the dentists' office and i nearly always have a blanket or a jacket on jsut cause i find the sensation of having that extra weight on me comforting. Even when its hot i'll simply turn on the fan and put a blanket or two on anyways. I sleep with twice as many blankets as is necessary for the same reason, the weight is comforting. I have tried sleepign with less and i simply cannot do it. Can't calm down. Its just comforting, relaxing, the weight is.

Are any brands/suppliers better than others, experienced members?
Well, the cost varies quite a bit. I ended up getting the brand I did mainly because of shipping costs to HK (many would not ship internationally or did so at a cost equal to that of the blanket!).

I don't remember everything I looked up before, but here is one list of sellers.

Mosaic was one of the more economical options with adult sizes, and Creature Comforts is soft and fuzzy if you aren't too big (largest size suitable for large child, small adult, or lap blanket) and ships through amazon (their site has slightly different options). Cheapest award I think goes to Peace or The Magic Blanket.

I can't really speak to the quality of any except my own. Mosaic does have some reviews on their site, though.

I've gone ahead and ordered a custom made one (so even if the weight doesn't help as much as I think it will, I'll still get a lovely blanket :blush:). I'm excited to see how it works out.

Someone I know sleeps with about six wool blankets and a duvet even in the summer. Assumed that they were cold all the time or that their body temperature lowered as they sleep. A weighted blanket is a great idea.

Last edited:
So, my weighted blanket arrived the day before yesterday, and I love it! I was a little doubtful that it would make any difference, but it is really calming, and I slept like the dead the last two nights. The only down side it that is apparently relaxes me so much that I ended up drooling in my sleep, ew :sweatsmile: I'm hopeful that it will help when I get particularly anxious during the day as well. Also, it is really pretty and well made, I'm glad I went for a custom made one.

I sleep under a sheet, a blanket, a quilt and, a comforter. I don't care how hot it is, I have to have my bed covers just so. I'd rather spend the money it cost's to cool my bedroom to 62 degrees at night than not be able to sleep well enough.

I also do not handle heat nor humidity well at all. Even the lights on stage were difficult if I forgot to place an ice pack under my corset.

My therapist has suggested I get one of the weighted blankets, wholly cow they are not cheap. I have noticed my sleep quality suffers during the summer months when I have less blankets on the bed, winter time we have a sheet, individual blankets for her and I and a heavy winter comforter as we keep the heat low in the house to save money. I sleep better during those months and I am less tired in the evenings after work. Gonna have to watch for one at the thrift store and garage sales as getting one that is big enough for me is gonna be over $100 everywhere I have looked. Dodger

I also sleep under multi quilts on Blankets.
If I have to sleep at my partners house half the bed is like that .
It' a nightmare because they fall off me there .
So bad I just want to go home . Trying to sleep without is so stressing.

New Threads

Top Bottom