• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Weathered by Weather?

janie

V.I.P Member
Hello again. I have missed your voices, friends. Hurricane Irma shook the snook out of my snow globe. Through the relentless cycle of prep, hunkering down in dark, mandatory evacuation, return to home, clean, haul debris, tote barge, clean, exertion injuries, rest a beat, wait for power to be restored...and then repeat... like Dorathey, not in Kansas anymore. Recent weather weathered me and peeled my bark bare to core with new insights about how disorder in my environment makes static hive noise jack hammer my head on full volume. I pray for those in Puerto Rico; I am crushed to consider their plight so much larger than my own that continues to spin my gyroscope wacky.

Does weather or disorder buzz your metacognitive feed?

This year has been quite dynamic when it comes to weather in general. However yes, seeing the plight of others certainly humbles me relative to tragic circumstances on such a broad scale that I've managed to avoid this year.

Though the simplest of strong winds combined with desert brushfires always has the potential of taking my home and most of my possessions. Especially at this time of year.

It does, fifteen to twenty degree fluctuations in temperature do something to my body and mind. And extreme weather turned me into a zombie the first time. Was without power and heat for two weeks during an ice storm in quite cold conditions.

It took me days to figure out how to function, keep warm, and remember how to survive. My car was unusable, I had no cash, no heat, no electricity, and was alone in my apartment. Ran into many souls wandering in shock, in the cold that first week.

It was as if I couldn't think. Most bank machines were down, so I had no cash to buy food. I had food, but it required cooking, and I couldn't cook without electricity. Then I remembered that I had camping equipment, a stove, lanterns, sleeping bags, a tent. That changed everything, and I began to adapt.

It was a lesson in preparedness, that I haven't forgotten.

And I'm certain Janie, that when these things happen to us, they are never easily forgotten. It's 'blows' us out of our complacency, it's a shock to our systems. Making us so unsure when the one place we go to feel safe is no longer what it was.
I have no wise words, it seems that 'extreme' weather is becoming more common. The only thing I feel is sadness when I hear about marshes being filled in, and rivers diverted or dammed to make way for us. Because human occupation is part of the problem. Yet we need to learn from our mistakes, and maybe if we do, it won't happen as often.

Last edited:
It does, fifteen to twenty degree fluctuations in temperature do something to my body and mind. And extreme weather turned me into a zombie the first time. Was without power and heat for two weeks during an ice storm in quite cold conditions.

It took me days to figure out how to function, keep warm, and remember how to survive. My car was unusable, I had no cash, no heat, no electricity, and was alone in my apartment. Ran into many souls wandering in shock, in the cold that first week.

It was as if I couldn't think. Most bank machines were down, so I had no cash to buy food. I had food, but it required cooking, and I couldn't cook without electricity. Then I remembered that I had camping equipment, a stove, lanterns, sleeping bags, a tent. That changed everything, and I began to survive and adapt.

It was a lesson in preparedness, that I haven't forgotten.

i never forget hearing people returning the only food they had to a foodbank because they had no gas or electric ,this is life in the 21st century!!!!!! in the uk .
not because of an environmental disaster but plain lack of money.

Hello again. I have missed your voices, friends. Hurricane Irma shook the snook out of my snow globe. Through the relentless cycle of prep, hunkering down in dark, mandatory evacuation, return to home, clean, haul debris, tote barge, clean, exertion injuries, rest a beat, wait for power to be restored...and then repeat... like Dorathey, not in Kansas anymore. Recent weather weathered me and peeled my bark bare to core with new insights about how disorder in my environment makes static hive noise jack hammer my head on full volume. I pray for those in Puerto Rico; I am crushed to consider their plight so much larger than my own that continues to spin my gyroscope wacky.

has a fund been started in your town to help people rebuild ,chances hometown of port aransas, texas has one it was $71,000 the last time i checked

people to rebuild

I am ashamed to say, that roughly the beginning of this year, a mini hurricane hit where I live in France ( not French) and seeing how frantic the trees were and how loud in the verandah it was and then, the electricity went out, catapulted me into a panic. Just to add a little bit of justification on my side, I was never frightened of hurricane type weather, until one time in the 1080's one hit where I worked and I have no idea how I got home safe and from that point, I started a phobia with high winds.

I felt ridiculous being that scared and so, made a list out with practical elements, which got me through the day. Ironically, the sky was a beautiful blue.

I think that Hurricane Irma ( I followed in closely online) may have put me back in balance and to see people actually out in this hurricane was something else!

Now, when I hear that winds of 85mph are to hit, I think: oh is that all? And hope that it will help me to put things in prespective if it happens again where I live, which I am sure it will, because it is just not possible to escape all natural disasters and thus, I want to be ready for them.

I have permanent anxiety attacks so
environmental disasters just add to it

As ever, Community, your replies ground me and remind me I am safe here. Thank you.

my comment is embedded in side the previous comment ,life with this phone

I have never used a phone to access anything.
I don't have a fancy phone like that.

I moved your comment outside of the quotes, for you.
I do know how to do that.
I use a PC, desk top.

i
I have never used a phone to access anything.
I don't have a fancy phone like that.

I moved your comment outside of the quotes, for you.
I do know how to do that.
I use a PC, desk top.
it is near the cheapest android phone you can buy in the uk and the microphone is near useless.
thanks

New Threads

Top Bottom