• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ways Humans Can Help Other Animals

"Do you want to attract butterflies or birds? Consider what canopy layers you have in your yard— groundcover, small shrubs, large shrubs, small trees, large trees, recommends Susie Peterson, backyard habitat certification program manager for Columbia Land Trust and the Portland Audubon Society. 'Different birds, different bees, different kinds of wildlife, live at different levels. '”

"Instead of raking the leaves to the curb, spread them under your trees and shrubs. Tiny insects will make their homes there, feeding birds. Plus: free mulch! Provide containers of water at different depths, at different heights. One inch for pollinators. Three inches for small birds, placed higher up since they're vulnerable to predators. Change the water once a week."

Give Your Yard Back to Nature

During the heat wave, it was recommended to leave water out for animals.
"Do you want to attract butterflies or birds? Consider what canopy layers you have in your yard— groundcover, small shrubs, large shrubs, small trees, large trees, recommends Susie Peterson, backyard habitat certification program manager for Columbia Land Trust and the Portland Audubon Society. 'Different birds, different bees, different kinds of wildlife, live at different levels. '”

"Instead of raking the leaves to the curb, spread them under your trees and shrubs. Tiny insects will make their homes there, feeding birds. Plus: free mulch! Provide containers of water at different depths, at different heights. One inch for pollinators. Three inches for small birds, placed higher up since they're vulnerable to predators. Change the water once a week."

Give Your Yard Back to Nature
Not to mention that hedgehogs start to hibernate soon and will sleep in the leaves.

Working to save birds seems guaranteed to be
both rewarding and heartbreaking. Depending
on the circumstance.

Animals' Angels
This group focuses on improving farm animal welfare. They work in the field, investigating animal cruelty on farms, transport and at auctions and slaughterhouses. They could use donations and volunteers as well as the sharing of their investigations.

Work to undo the damage done by selective breeding.....

"There is hope...for the future of pugs. The recently established International Retro Pug Club is a project between breeders in Sweden and Germany to restore them to their original form. It is already achieving impressive results by breeding pugs subjected to scrupulous health checks – including X-rays of the spine – with Parson Russell terriers. One of the project’s co-founders, 51-year-old Swedish academic Therese Rodin, says already new litters are demonstrating longer legs and noses and better breathing. "

Vegan Kit
A starter kit for going vegan! You can save 265 animal lives a year by going vegan <3 It's the easiest and best way to help animals and the environment, if it's accessible to you.

Leaping Bunny
Shop cruelty-free and help stop animal testing! About half a million animals are used for cosmetics testing around the world each year, though some countries don't report the numbers used. You can help stop this by using consumer activism and voting with your dollar. Leaping Bunny is a cruelty free certification for non-animal tested products. Check them out!

Animal Information​

Does that baby animal really need help?​

Each spring our rehabilitators are inundated with young animals who are in desperate need of help after being abandoned or orphaned.

The sad fact is that many of those babies weren't orphaned or abandoned. By taking in a wild animal you could be depriving that baby his mother and a much better chance for survival.

What to do and when to leave them alone.​

If you uncertain of what to do in any wildlife situation, please contact FOW and we will help guide you.

If you have a problem with an animal making her home somewhere you don't appreciate, please contact us for important advice on how to best handle the situation and how to move the animal humanely.

Following is background information on common native Michigan wildlife and what to look for when determining if that baby truly needs our help.

Additional Resource​

http://wildlifehelp.info is a resource for Michigan rehabilitators that do not have the capabilities or funds to have a personal web site. It is very comprehensive and could answer any questions our site does not cover.

My gut reaction is that people who kill animals due to gross recklessness (or worse) live's should be forfeit. But then used as compost or mulch so as not to be a complete waste.

But I realize this is a little extreme and comes from some primal area of my brain that needs to be blocked off.
What this spiritual teacher Amanda Ellis terms "holy anger". In this video she also shows holy anger towards someone's lower-consciousness behaviour (chopping a tree for no good reason), and then like you tries to soften/elevate it.

How humans can help animals:

I've been looking at the World Wildlife Photographer of the Year awards and I just noticed something.

Polar Bears aren't at all threatened by melting ice caps, they just need to change their diet. :)

PolarBears.jpg

"Temperatures are soaring, your dog is panting, and there’s dog hair all over the house. You might be thinking that a good, close shave down could help cool your dog off while eliminating some of that furry mess.

Well, think again. Many dogs should not be shaved at all, depending on their coat type. Shaving can actually have the opposite effect of what you intend and make your dog even hotter."

Article goes on to offer some insights on shaving your dog, and some steps you can take instead to keep your dog healthy in hot weather.

We have signs up all spring and summer: Geese Crossing.

The chicks are so cute!

It's not so cute when you actually have to get somewhere on a time limit, though, when mommy and daddy goose--and all their nearest relatives--along with 50 chicks a piece (hey, it's hyperbole) decide to cross the street and take a gander at all the onlookers.

There's not much you can do but sit there in traffic while this flock of fifty or so birds decides to take their sweet time in crossing the road.

But, as I said, the chicks are so cute!!!

We also have Turtle Crossing signs, too.

But I've never seen a turtle crossing at a turtle crossing sign.

Animal Information​

Does that baby animal really need help?​

The sad fact is that many of those babies weren't orphaned or abandoned. By taking in a wild animal you could be depriving that baby his mother and a much better chance for survival.

What to do and when to leave them alone.​

Watched a hawk one day flying low over the garden at my husband's workplace. It kept swooping, like 10 feet or less, like a fighter plane looking to strafe the ground. The next morning, I found fur and parts of a rabbit everywhere. Curious, I went back to the garden and found where the rabbit's nest had been torn open. Three baby bunnies survived. The next day, the hawk had returned, tore up more of the garden, and now only 1 baby bunny survived. He was about seven days old. So I did some research online and, you know what? Even a seven-day-old bunny can survive without his mother.

Earlier this past spring, I was dropping my husband off at work and noticed a rabbit where I used to see one a year ago, grazing in the clover. It was a young rabbit, and when he saw the car approach he bolted for the hedge. I'm pretty sure it's the same baby, all grown up. It was neat seeing him.

Even a seven-day-old bunny can survive without his mother.
(?)

"The babies’ eyes open at about seven days old, and by three weeks of age the baby bunnies—now about four inches long—are weaned and on their own."

Even a seven-day-old bunny can survive without his mother.
(?)

"The babies’ eyes open at about seven days old, and by three weeks of age the baby bunnies—now about four inches long—are weaned and on their own."

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I couldn't find a wildlife rehabber nearby so I researched rehabbers online. Turns out that baby bunnies are known for dying when given anything but their mother's milk. It's so highly concentrated and has elements in it from her grazing on her own pellets at night that no commercial milk can provide a suitable substitute. Bottle-fed baby bunnies literally die of starvation if not rehabbed correctly. Since his eyes were just open, it was the wisest option to leave him where he was, as he was. And I believe the grown-up rabbit I later saw was him.

I get really frustrated when I hear about huge efforts put out to relocate animals encroaching on a city. They don't move there for the shopping, they just can't find a territory free in the wilderness. Sending them back is like returning refugees to deadly situations. To really help animals, we would have to improve habitat, or recover it from farmers.

Feeder style attracts species

"As is true at any point in the year, different feeders attract different species. This is true due to varied body size and food content in different feeders. Tube and sock feeders are great for smaller birds like finches, chickadees, and titmice. Platform or hopper feeders might be a better option for jays, cardinals, and doves. Suet feeders are great for nuthatches and woodpeckers. However, depending on the types of woodpeckers you have, you may want to consider mounting suet feeders to trees to provide better support for larger birds."

New Threads

Top Bottom