• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Want to be a Chaplain, but not a Christian one!

Ronin82

Dog Trainer Extraordinaire
V.I.P Member
I've been researching options for me to become a certified chaplain, and since I have a B.S., its doable, although difficult. Thing is, I have to be part of a "denominational faith community", and I'm more of a Humanist, personally. I've been pursuing conversion to Judaism for personal reasons but have no interest in adhering to rituals of faith when, quite frankly, I no longer HAVE a faith in a universal deity. I prefer hanging out with Jews, Buddhists, Humanists, ANYONE but Christians (PTSD reasons, nothing personal!). I still love theological and philosophical discussions and really enjoy exploring and teaching metaphysical approaches to spirituality.

My question is, do y'all think there's a place for a non-Christain chaplain in the world of healthcare? Should I spend the money pursuing yet another certification that, while I love the work, certain aspects of it (such as having to run Christian services and rituals) might be.....difficult for me. This is something I'd love to spend my life doing, and really feel that having a Humanist on the ministerial staff could benefit anyone of that same ilk, but I just don't know if the world of healthcare is ready for that kind of out-of-the-box thinking. Opinions???

Actually, I love hanging out with Modern Orthodox, and my conversion will be through Conservative Jews since I can't cognitively do the Orthodox requirements (and other reasons, its complicated.) I'm already half blood-line Jewish, on my dad's side, hence the need to convert, but I've never been more sure of needing to do something in my life. Tired of being outside The Community when I belong with my blood family. That's not what this thread is about though....

Should I pursue chaplaincy certs if I don't want to do the Christian thing anymore? Is there space for Humanist Jewish/Buddhist chaplains in the religious world?

Hope you don't mind me asking. But, why PTSD with Christian's? If it's personal I will understand if you don't answer the question.

Not feeling able to talk with Christians could make it uncomfortable for you trying to be a chaplain? You probably would have to work with Christians in various ways as clients and colleagues. If you are thinking of working in an organisational setting like healthcare or anything. Although as a freelance doing weddings and funerals etc, might be different? Do you have a specific career path in mind? I wouldn't bother getting qualified in this without that, unless you have loads of money and it just seems interesting.

Take up counseling, and work in the service of the science of psychology!

Lot of other fields, too, outside of hospitals to work in.

I can talk with Christians just fine, and am well-versed in the theology. The issue is being involved in Christian services and rituals cause ALL KINDS of issues for me like nightmares, flashbacks, anger, etc. Still working on that, but my best defense right now is pure avoidance. I love the idea of being an interfaith chaplain, and helping those of less-well-known or obscure religions!

My background is in psychology, but I can't be a therapist. Tried that, won't be a thing full-time for MANY reasons. I know my limits.

I noticed that the University of Edinburgh has a chaplain team from all sorts of backgrounds if you want a look at what they offer.

Other universities may have similar services that you can research.

Chaplaincy Staff

I'm in America, specifically Texas. Totally different set of regulations

uh... what kind of christian 'rituals' and 'services' did you participate? and it was because someone did something bad to you or...? sorry if i'm too intrusive if you don't want to answer thats ok.

New Threads

Top Bottom