• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Video on How to Break Social Rules Politely by Aspergers from the Inside

Excuse me while I have a meltdown. :)
Actually I used to think that you could say absolutely anything to anyone if you said it in a nice way. I'm now thinking that might not be true.

I don’t think it’s true Pats but heck if I know. It seems no matter what I do it’s wrong....with people. I’m doing ok with my new strategy here where I moved a few months ago. I keep conversations short and upbeat. That way there is less chance for miscommunication and I just want to get along with my neighbors.
I no longer care if people vote, recycle their plastic, adopt a dog from the pound instead of paying $1,000 at a pet store that uses puppy mills.
Well, I care but I keep my opinions to myself for a change!

I enjoyed the video, but did he say he tells people he injured his hand by shaking hands? If he did - that sounds a bit insulting. If not, my hearing isn't that great anymore. :)

but did he say he tells people he injured his hand by shaking hands?
He did...
Interesting and useful video but I think those techniques are quite limited in their application. Sure they will work in situations where you are not regularly meeting the same people (in the street, on a train, at a conference as mentioned) but if you tried to apply the same principles in the workplace, for example, you'd only get away with it for a short time.
You cannot permanently wear a bandage or knit at your workstation, wear headphones/dark glasses indoors, explain that you sit down all day etc...
I actually used to get up from my desk quite frequently whilst on the phone and explained it by saying (truthfully) that sitting still for too long aggravated my arthritis, whilst my real reason was more a way of coping with difficult calls. It didn't take long before I was told that "someone had complained" and I would have to stop.

It didn't take long before I was told that "someone had complained" and I would have to stop.
Someone complained? People!!!
And I agree, but still think in any case the comment would come off as a preplanned rudeness. :)

The person that complained is probably the person that heats up stinky leftovers in the office microwave, laughs too loud on personal calls, takes cig breaks every half hour and walks by wafting cig smoke....
That’s not mentioning the perfume and gossiping!
Ok, rant over!

New Threads

Top Bottom