• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Video games you're playing?

I'm still working my way through Bloodborne. It's easily one of the best games of this generation and I wish I'd grown the balls to give it a try ages ago. I was so put off by its infamous difficulty but with perseverance, the willingness to learn from each death and take note of how enemies and bosses telegraph their attacks I've been able to get through a large chunk of the game. Beating a boss feels like a real accomplishment, too. I'm enjoying Bloodborne so much that I snapped up Dark Souls III in the 'Big in Japan' sale on PSN.

Starbound, today. It came out a long while ago but I hadnt REALLY dove into it yet. Which is odd considering my fondness for games of this type. It had a huge update recently, so it seems like a good time.

There is an amazing amount of stabbing in this game. Granted you can shoot stuff too but that's never quite as fun.

EDIT: There is a Nintendo Switch in a small case sitting in the kitchen. I'm not entirely clear on the details behind it's appearance here. Er... I guess I'll try that later today?

Last edited:
Nintendo Switch finally showed up. About bloody time. After the initial confusion of setting it up and the realization that my TV is dying (argh), I fired up ARMS.

So far: Fantastic. It's about dang time someone tried something new, as fighting games go. As much of a fan of the genre as I am, I've played too many hours of basic 2D fighters at this point (and just plain dont like Tekken-style 3D ones). Fun as they are, I'm burned out. It doesnt help that alot of the challenge has been drained out of them at this point. Very, very few opponents can put up a fight anymore and most will refuse to fight again after one go (sigh).

This though is different. I havent seen one like this since Virtual On, which had a lot of the same concepts and design principles. An extremely high emphasis on aim and dodging and positioning, rather than combos and blocking.

And I'm impressed by the depth of the combat here, when considered along with the fact that you effectively only have two possible attacks and a throw. Though with something that's similar to VO, I expected no less. VO was similar in that you had a left & right weapon, and could dash around and put slight variations on attacks, and that was it, but it was wonderfully complex. Same here. Fighting games dont do this sort of thing enough, usually relying on having to memorize a bazillion special moves.

Fun characters, too. Just as bloody weird as I'd expect from a fighting game. Which brings up a question: Why ARE characters so universally bizarre in fighting games? It seems to be a rule or something. They must be as strange as possible.

Also it's going to take me 50 kerdrillion years to unlock all of the different glove/fist/weapon/whatever types in the game.

And now I'm going to do what I originally said I wouldnt, which is give Zelda a go.

About a month ago, I bought Tekken 7 on Xbox One from a local game store, it didn't work on my console, so I took it back for a refund.

@Misery I tried out the ARMS Testpunch demo for long enough to know that it's not for me. Fighting games have rarely gelled with me, which the exception of Smash Bros., but that series' mechanics are so far removed from traditional fighting games that it's debatable that it even falls into that genre.

How are you getting on with Breath of the Wild? Also what's your Switch friend code?

@Rich Allen How could we forget?

@Misery I tried out the ARMS Testpunch demo for long enough to know that it's not for me. Fighting games have rarely gelled with me, which the exception of Smash Bros., but that series' mechanics are so far removed from traditional fighting games that it's debatable that it even falls into that genre.

How are you getting on with Breath of the Wild? Also what's your Switch friend code?

@Rich Allen How could we forget?

It's interesting that you'd say that, as from an overall standpoint Smash uses pretty much all of the most traditional concepts from fighting games; the only major thing it really does different is the whole "get back to the ledge" bit. Other than that, all of the usual concepts apply.

ARMS itself definitely takes some getting used to. I'm used to using a berserk rush-down tactic in basically everything, but it just doesnt work there. Didnt work in VO, come to think of it. I have also decided that Ninjara is extremely annoying. Him and his stupid teleporting.

As for Zelda, ehhh, it pretty much has the problems I knew it would have. Too much open space with nothing happening. Like, WAY too much. Ubisoft Syndrome, is what I've taken to calling it, because *all* of those games do the same thing. 90% of the game is just.... emptiness. Every now and then something will actually happen, and that can be interesting, but then it's back to the void. Though again, I knew this was the case going into it.

The whole weapon breaking thing that everyone complains about doesnt bug me too much. The game hands them out like candy.

The game has at least not tried to drown me in cutscenes yet. For a AAA game in this day and age, I'm surprised.

Well, more ARMS here.

First time through the game: "Okay, well that was good, finally a fighting game without an ultra-cheap boss at the end!"

Second time through: "Okay well that's another- OK WTF HE HAS 6 ARMS NOW, THAT DIDNT HAPPEN LAST TIME". So, he can attack in 6 directions at once with any timing he wants with multiple fist types and add throws to the mix WHILE attacking because of course he can and then I'm on fire for some reason and explosions and OMG METEOR. And this is while using Max Brass's basic abilities of tending to resist flinching, and staying permanently charged below 25% HP. Because apparently it wouldnt have been horrible enough otherwise.

So.... that happened. Here I used to think freaking Goro or Shang Tsung was hard, back in the day. No, they werent this guy.

So, I'd spotted that the game had already gotten a reputation for the singleplayer mode being extremely difficult even at difficulties well below max, and yeah, that turns out to be the case. Not just the boss, but the AI overall is very, very well done. Make the slightest mistake and it'll punish you really hard, among all the other troubles it'll throw.

Granted of course the real point of a fighting game is the multiplayer, but still, it's really nice to see one where the AI is actually well done. Often, it's kinda half-assed, relying on being more and more cheap on higher difficulties. I always found it really annoying, in many games. I'd still do the basic singleplayer to build up skill, but I never liked it much. Well, Smash was decent for it, to a point. Virtual On was the one big exception, so I guess it's no surprise that this is the second one.

And really, this is one of those games that makes me think: When people constantly go on about Nintendo being "kiddy", they forget where the term "Nintendo Hard" came from and just what it means. If they want to make things bloody murderous, chances are, it's going to be way harder than most other things. Watching people that say that stuff actually try games that fit this is usually really hilarious.

EDIT: I'd mentioned being irritated by Ninjara before, and seems I'm not the only one. Apparently much of the community considers him currently broken. Not surprising. I've never seen a fighting game release it's first iteration without a broken character being present. Not even once. Good thing is, Nintendo is already patching the game. They fixed Broken Tactic #1, which was "use Hydras alot" (fist type), so hoping they'll fix Jerkface.

Last edited:
I just beat Dangranronpa 1 and 2. Fun games, even though the genre (visual novel) is usually something I don't enjoy.

I freaking LOVE Danganronpa. And like you, visual novels aren't something I'm too into. The only other one that really grabbed me (to the point where I absolutely HAD to go back and get all the endings and the platinum trophy) was Steins;Gate. Steins;Gate 0 is one I still need to go back to.

Bought Isaac on the Switch.

....3 hours in and I'm freaking tired of it. It's done one thing and one thing only: Reminded me of why I downloaded a completed save file on the PC version in the first place.

If there's a way to do that with this version, I'm gonna find it. Or trade the game back in if it takes too long to find a way to do that.

The game's unlock system is.... so freaking bad. I hate dealing with game unlocks at the best of times (I dont play games for the stupid "quest to get all things" aspect, I badly miss the days when that literally wasnt even a concept yet) but this game has the worst I've ever seen. Always has. Couldnt tolerate it in Rebirth or Afterbirth either.

Also playing Isaac on the PC, which is so much better.... No stupid unlocks to do....

They do share one common theme though: Azazel is just as boring to use as ever.

More Isaac, more Switch stuff.

Really is an interesting console.

...In it's portable form, it's also the third worst controller I've ever seen. If this thing didnt have a pro controller (which actually WASNT designed by a drunken monkey with a hammer) and the TV mode, I'd never have bought it. I *really* hope someone got fired over that. That's not a joke.

Actually was considering cutting off the right analog stick to make the accursed device usable. I might still do that. Also not a joke.

I knew the portable mode was mostly going to be of no use, but.... I hadnt expected it to be THAT bad.

Hoping for third party versions later on, designed by people that actually understand controllers.

More Isaac, more Switch stuff.

Really is an interesting console.

...In it's portable form, it's also the third worst controller I've ever seen. If this thing didnt have a pro controller (which actually WASNT designed by a drunken monkey with a hammer) and the TV mode, I'd never have bought it. I *really* hope someone got fired over that. That's not a joke.

Actually was considering cutting off the right analog stick to make the accursed device usable. I might still do that. Also not a joke.

I knew the portable mode was mostly going to be of no use, but.... I hadnt expected it to be THAT bad.

Hoping for third party versions later on, designed by people that actually understand controllers.

Meh, Nintendo tend to make rubbish controllers anyway, their last good one was on the Nintendo 64 20 years ago IMHO.

On topic before I get the Mods all hot and bothered, the last video game I played was when I bought and downloaded Episode 1 of the new Telltale Batman game on Tuesday this week after watching a walk through on YouTube last week.

Meh, Nintendo tend to make rubbish controllers anyway, their last good one was on the Nintendo 64 20 years ago IMHO.

On topic before I get the Mods all hot and bothered, the last video game I played was when I bought and downloaded Episode 1 of the new Telltale Batman game on Tuesday this week after watching a walk through on YouTube last week.

Cant disagree with that one. Well, no, I liked the Wii U's controller well enough... but at the same time it's practically a tablet so not everyone is going to like that. Other than that though... yeah, saying that I dont like Nintendo's control devices is an understatement. Heck, I didnt like the 3DS all that much either. Good games, but the way the whole thing was shaped just led to hand cramps.

I'd really rather just use my PS4 controller for basically everything, which I mostly do (since the PC will accept anything plugged into it as long as I'm willing to have a screaming match with Windows for 20 minutes first), but of course that's not an option on a console that isnt made by Sony.

I will say the pro controller is decent enough though. Not perfect, and the price is a bit high, but it does the trick. "The trick" being "not wrecking my arm" specifically.

On a side note, I ALMOST bought Minecraft for the thing. I'm such a huge fan of the game, figured I may as well, right? But then I remembered: World size limit, all of the console versions have one (to someone who has played the game for freaking years on PC, that's hard to accept). So I ended up not doing that. I also found out WHY the console versions have a size limit. I was less than pleased with the reason. It's not at all about the console's power (any of the three), as many people seem to think. It explains why there is NO size limit on the iOS versions, too.

Well. No Man's Sky updated. Big one. Jumped back in today, starting from scratch.

....And I have to COMPLETELY relearn the entire game. Loads of entirely new mechanics (95% of which I havent even gotten to yet), way too many new items and gizmos that do who knows what, and much of the game's already-existing stuff got heavily overhauled (including things like ship flight... no more "totally safe from crashing always" sort of thing.... among other alterations). Difficulty skyrocketed. Someone at some point seems to have decided "We need to focus on murdering the player over and over". I lost track of just how many times I got shot at by stuff. Also involved were two panicked nose-dives into planet atmosphere after space combat went horribly wrong. They could have chased me down there, too, but got attacked by.... something. So that was lucky.

Also plants tried to eat me and I'm pretty sure I was assaulted by a robotic laser cat (???) during a particularly awful battle with Sentinels. Died there, yep...

It's going to take bloody ages for me to get a grasp on everything again. One way or another this is *not* the same game I played a year ago even if the core gameplay loop hasnt changed (it IS a survival game, after all; they all have that specific gameplay loop).

It's also reminding me of how much I enjoy survival games in a general sense. I hadnt played any in some time. Maybe there's some others I should jump into, as well.

Sonic Mania!

Finally, a Sonic the Hedgehog game worthy to be called a successor to the old Mega Drive classics. No superfluous characters, no fudged up physics - I'm looking at you, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - or stupid not-very-Sonic gimmicks like Werehogs or free-roaming Adventure stages or fishing getting in the way; just Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, old-school 2D platforming that feels spot on and levels that simultaneously pay homage to the 16-bit era and put unobtrusive little twists on them. There are also a number of extra modes - time trials and 2-player races - and bits and pieces that celebrate Sonic's early years, plus the soundtrack is boss.

If you are - or were ever - a fan of Sonic in the early 90's, I highly recommend Sonic Mania.

Isaac on PC today.

I've totally given up on the Switch version. I bought it specifically to have a portable version of Isaac that isnt awful, and got... a portable version that is awful. The controller from hell just kills it for me. I seriously find the console literally unplayable without the Pro controller, making the portable mode totally useless. I've actually considered cutting off the right analog stick on the stupid joycons to at least make it MAYBE usable. But even that probably isnt enough.

I really should have thought over that purchase of Isaac a bit harder. Arms and Splatoon 2 are pretty much all I've got for who knows how long. Well, Zelda, but that doesnt hold my attention very well. Kinda boring. I've put about 4 hours in, but I havent gone back to it since.

Definitely prefer the Wii U over that thing.

But at least Isaac on PC is still fantastic. Now if only they'd come out with the next booster pack update sometime this century.

I'm half tempted to try and get Fortnite on Xbox, it's had good reviews and I'm a fan of shooters.

I might try and rebuy Tekken 7 as well, the copy I had before didn't work.

@Misery If I were in your position, I'd trade the Switch in/sell it now while you'll still get a decent amount for it. Sounds like you're not getting on with it at all.

New Threads

Top Bottom