• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Using the college library?

AmeliaLIS

Hello all!
We are conducting research about the experiences of college students
with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in the academic library.

Are you a college student?
Do you identify as being on the autism spectrum?
Do you use the library?

Students will be asked to complete surveys and/or interviews about their experiences in the library.
Each survey should take approximately 30 minutes to complete, and interviews will be one hour or less.

Please use the following link to view the consent form and take the initial survey:
https://fsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_e3UBaNl6Roh99yJ

I answered the survey, a bit of feedback if you're interested: some of the answers felt a bit restrictive, to me. While that's obviously inherent to multiple choice questions, I occasionally felt like there was no option applicable to me. (for instance, I already know how to do research myself, so wanting to learn it is not applicable, and I never need to ask librarians for help because I have no issues finding what I need on my own)

Other than that, I'm interested to learn what the results of this research are. Will you be posting a summary of the results on these forums as well? There are researchers on these forums regularly, but many don't follow up with the results, which I think is a bit of a shame.

I just finished my Bachelor's degree this past May. Can I participate or do you only want current students?

Several of the questions asked I responded to as undecided, as they were questions such as the research assistants were unhelpful or the people at the circulation desk were unhelpful.
Some can be quite helpful, others not as much. Depends on who is working that day.

I answered the survey, a bit of feedback if you're interested: some of the answers felt a bit restrictive, to me. While that's obviously inherent to multiple choice questions, I occasionally felt like there was no option applicable to me. (for instance, I already know how to do research myself, so wanting to learn it is not applicable, and I never need to ask librarians for help because I have no issues finding what I need on my own)
Other than that, I'm interested to learn what the results of this research are. Will you be posting a summary of the results on these forums as well? There are researchers on these forums regularly, but many don't follow up with the results, which I think is a bit of a shame.
Wow, great insight, thanks so much for your thoughtful response. Yes, I'll be happy to share the results. We are ultimately creating (free) training for academic librarians based on our findings so that librarians will be able to create better environments for students on the spectrum.
About the survey - we're using an instrument called the Library Anxiety Survey that has been used many times before (which is why we're using it - for comparison and because it's been tested and is a reliable instrument). Unfortunately, this means we cannot alter the questions if we want to be able to compare to previously collected data with NT students. If you responded that you are interested in a followup interview, that would be a great opportunity to share more in depth responses. I hope this helps to clarify and thank you so much for your participation.

Several of the questions asked I responded to as undecided, as they were questions such as the research assistants were unhelpful or the people at the circulation desk were unhelpful.
Some can be quite helpful, others not as much. Depends on who is working that day.
Thank you!

I'm no longer a student, but I have been - at very different types of universities. The libraries were either my hell or my refuge.

Refuge type:
  • Quiet - the rule was to be quiet in the library, and students actually followed the rule. If they had to meet for group work, they did not do that in the library, they found some other place.
  • Amazing, extensive selection of books on whatever special interest you might have. I spent so many hours on the floor of my special interest section - very relaxing and enlightening and comforting.
  • Loads of privacy. It was very easy to find a private carrel to study at on the highest floor where nobody else liked to go - it was easy to find a corner that was totally isolated, and yet still near a bathroom (and the bathrooms up there were single person - awesome!). I know some other students found those isolated parts of the library creepy, but they were a lifesaver for me.
Hellish type:
  • So crowded you can't find a place to sit in the first place - there is always the uncertainty of whether it was even worth the walk to come to the library, as you might have to turn around and leave - those were the worst campuses, nowhere to go and sit to study or to just have some quiet time, if you didn't live on campus.
  • So LOUD. The whole library was a talking area, there were only certain designated quiet areas - that is so freaking ridiculous. Not all of those talkers are doing group work, they are just chatting - and if those chatty people were told they had to be quiet, then they'd leave - which would then give the quiet studying students spaces to sit and study without distraction. Group work can always be done somewhere else.
  • The only places to sit, if you could find anywhere, was at a table with other people - or next to crowded tables full of sorority girls gossiping about who got drunk when.
  • Basically, impossible to effectively study. A place that should allow for peace and quiet and concentration instead becomes loud, distracting, overstimulating, and anxiety producing.

Hello all! This is the second, and last time I'm posting this request (I promise!). I'm hopeful that your responses can help us improve libraries for everyone.

We are conducting research about the experiences of college students
with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in the academic library.

Are you a college student?
Do you identify as being on the autism spectrum?
Do you use the library?

Students will be asked to complete surveys and/or interviews about their experiences in the library.
Each survey should take approximately 30 minutes to complete, and interviews will be one hour or less.

Please use the following link to view the consent form and take the initial survey:
https://fsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_e3UBaNl6Roh99yJ

New Threads

Top Bottom