• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Up your block, down the street, or around the corner

Richelle-H

Autocosmic Reality Tester
V.I.P Member
For reasons I will not go into here, I recently travelled some 730 miles by automobile. I travelled through a portion of 4 states in doing so. It has been quite some time since I have had a road trip so you notice things.

This is about unusual names of streets, lanes, avenues, roads, or what have you. THe reason I thought this might be fun is that there is a road some miles west of Baker, California, whose name always seemed to me to be trying to be the last entry in a street atlas. Those who have driven the I15 through California on its eastern edge will have seen it for sure (in either direction).

ZZYZX RD is the offramp. I always pronounce it in my head as zizzix. Anyone can have a go at how you would say it out loud.

Anyway, does anyone else have an odd name for a thoroughfare. All comments are welcome.

Sorry. I rarely remember the roads. What I like on road trips is the oddities. Like the Dickyville Grotto, in Wisconsin, to Casa Bonita in Denver.

But then I get to see the sublime at times. I was in Zuni pueblo and got to see the murals in the ancient mission. They were of Kachinas striding upon the landscape as giants, the summer Kachinas on one wall and opposite to them a wall of winter Kachinas. Stunning! It created controversy because they were painted accurately and some of the Kachinas no longer have a Kiva to keep that Kachina's tradition alive.

Last edited:
This photo/sign from Albuquerque is one of my favorites.

e15ebf0ed0b06da80736fc7dc704aa19.jpg

Dead Maids Hill and Black Dog Woods, in Wiltshire, east of Bath (England) is kind of interesting.

There's variations of the story, but the one I was told goes something like this...

Two men are at the pub, having some drinks and chatting it up. One starts speaking fondly of his girlfriend , and the other, not to be outdone, does so as well. They find that their respective girlfriend is similar to their own, and on discussing things further, come to the unfortunate realization that they're dating the same girl.

They decide to settle this the old fashioned way, with a duel. A shoots B dead. B had brought along his black dog to the duel, and his dog, upon seeing his master dead, immediately attacks and rips the face off A and then kills A. The dog is put down as a result and the nearby woods are named after him.

The girl, with both her boyfriends dead, decides that the honorable way out is to hang herself, and so brings the name of that area.

See also
BBC - Wiltshire - Moonraking - Wiltshire's Black dogs

Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons, grew up in the Portland Metro Area, and many of the characters and places from the show are named after local streets.

The locals all know that Springfield really is Portland, because many of the plot lines and landmarks are exactly the same as events or places in and around Portland.

Here is a short list:

• NE Flanders St (Just add a D to the "NE" and you get Ned Flanders)
  • Trojan Nuclear Power Plant (Springfield Nuclear Power Plant)
  • NW Quimby St (Mayor Quimby)
  • NW Lovejoy St (Reverend Lovejoy)
  • W Burnside and NW Montgomery Streets (Montgomery Burns)
  • NW Kearney St (Kearney- the tall, bald bully at Springfield Elementary)
There are many others.

I learned something new today, but having said that I believe there are lots towns and cities in the United States called Springfield :rolleyes:

I do remember going through one small town in Oregon once, streets were simply A,B,C, etc... Very little imagination by someone... :p

I haven't been there but there is this small town in Newfoundland, the image will have to suffice, apparently they have trouble keeping the sign up for very long...

world-dildo25tr1-e1405444216575.jpg

The upsetting thing to me is Minneapolis had two of everything. So it would be Sinclair blvd, and Sinclair square. It was very upsetting if you did have the second part of street.

Tasmania takes the cake for weird place names here, there's a town called Dismal Swamp. Sulphur Creek, Wandering...etc

There is a small town in upstate New York that has a road the runs along a ridge. At one end of the road the the street sign reads "Pheonix" and at the other end the street sign reads "Phoenix".
And there is a small town along I25 where the name is listed as "Airy Derry" going south but "Derry Airy" going north.

And there is a bridge in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, named "James Brown Soul Center of the Universe". :p

One day for work I had to go to a test lab and was given an address on Sam Bass road. I was profoundly confused as I was driving down Sam Bass road when I came upon a cross street named Sam Bass. I was on the corner of Sam Bass and Sam Bass. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone. Never found the address number going either way. Turns out it was Sam Bass on the far opposite side of town (same town). And, no it was not a continuation of the same street. It was totally disconnected by several miles.
There is a Yeager Lane near where I live. a few miles down the road, there is another Yeager Lane with no connection. Same with Breaker Lane.
Makes me wonder if it was unknown that those names were already taken, or if the people naming the streets really like those names or if they simply have a limited imagination.

Last edited:
One day for work I had to go to a test lab and was given an address on Sam Bass road. I was profoundly confused as I was driving down Sam Bass road when I came upon a cross street named Sam Bass. I was on the corner of Sam Bass and Sam Bass. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone. Never found the address number going either way. Turns out it was Sam Bass on the far opposite side of town (same town). And, no it was not a continuation of the same street. It was totally disconnected by several miles.
There is a Yeager Lane near where I live. a few miles down the road, there is another Yeager Lane with no connection. Same with Breaker Lane.
Makes me wonder if it was unknown that those names were already taken, or if the people naming the streets really like those names or if they simply have a limited imagination.
Sorta' like all the Peachtree streets around Atlanta.

I've only been there once, while traveling to a goat packing trip in the Escalante. I sorta' liked that wilderness better. And the goats were wonderful pack animals.

On our way to Mexico on one of our trips I fell asleep. When I woke up I asked my husband "Where are we?", but just then I spotted a goat carcas on the side of the road and said "Ah, we must be in New Mexico." A minute or so latter we passed the "Welcome to New Mexico" sign. :p

Well... there is a street in my city.... and it's Couch Street. Only... it has nothing to do with furniture. It's named after some famous ship captain. And his name was pronounced with an "OO" long U sound.

So I can't write it here, but that's how it's pronounced.

New Threads

Top Bottom