• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unsure how to proceed

lnr333

Hello, I've recently considered that I may have aspergers due to a few videos on the internet, as silly as that may sound. I'm thinking all of my comorbidities may be aspergers. I've taken 2 tests online that were recommended that give me a low level (aspergers) of ASD. I am still trying to find a psychologist under my new insurance. I know you cant diagnose me, but did anyone else out there feel similar before being diagnosed?

I've had OCD since junior high (pure O), tics since middle school, horrible ability to socially adapt and make or keep friends since elementary school. I'm still terribly socially awkward to the point of near physical pain due to "mishaps". Others may not notice much, but it is a constant battle. I also am terribly sensitive to loud sounds that I'm not in control of, I have mild misophonia. I jump when my husband lightly touches me and enjoy keeping to myself. I assume people view me as a kind and friendly person, I am a people pleaser. Very shy as a child but always smiled.

I'm terrified of being labeled as having ASD since people seem to make it the butt of every joke, but I think I would feel a great deal of relief and perhaps new ways of coping and being more OK with who I am. Thank you all for taking the time to read.

I have had since being born, HFA has stuck with me for a lot of my life and was aware since my childhood, also had as same as you difficulty to socialize, some autistic's have OCD like I do.

As for people having labelled you ASD, its more referring to everyone on the spectrum or where you are on it, I do not mind people who joke, but there are people out there who take the mocking seriously and go out of their way to harass those with autism though small minority of those type of people.

I do not necessarily think they are bad people, sure they might make insensitive mocking that is not intentional, but they can't really do much to you, as long as you are with those around you who accept you who you are, those other people do not really matter.

Though other than that, welcome to the forums, I am new here too, and probably youngest of most members but who knows, we might even get someone who is younger than 14, if that is the case, it would be rare or a first since we don't encounter those type of people a lot on the forums. :blush:

Hi Inr333 :)

welcome to af.png

Welkome to the forums

For me im not worried or concerned one bit of any of my multiple diagnosis its as you say better that i know and find out so i can utliest try to understand my own mind a little and get some answers of why i am as i am and why im were im at in life etc... (in my case i im ALL open to those close to me and the few reel friends i have )

Reg the being ridiculed and so on id say DONT accept it ive been bullied and treated & regarded like an idiot by most in my life from pre kindergarten to adulthood BUT when i became 18 i said NO MORE and i started to stand up and confront the bullies head on and also OPENLY and PROUDLY stood up Yes i have (all my diagnosis known then and added as they were discovered ) I would NEVER acept any jokes about any of my diagnosis and neither should you. I havent asked for any of them but im sadly born with them so i cant do anything about them other then to try to accept & understand and adapt as best i can.

...I'm terrified of being labeled as having ASD since people seem to make it the butt of every joke, but I think I would feel a great deal of relief and perhaps new ways of coping and being more OK with who I am. Thank you all for taking the time to read.

I think labels are a bad thing in general. Unless you are a bag of pretzels. (But pretzels is a bad example, because if your buying pretzels are you really concerned with the ingredients?) Lets make it cooking oil. It might inform the outsider but as you point out labels also promote negative stereotyping.

To my mind therefore whether you are formally diagnosed or only self diagnosed it is good to limit whom you inform and not make this private medical information public in any form (work, school, social, etc). Obvious exception would be a spouse. I would prefer people view me as an open question rather then attach all sorts of (likely erroneous) preconceptions.

Hi INR. It's often a relief to find out why we've had all these struggles and the diagnosis makes it real, whether it's by self or a professional. It all suddenly makes sense. You don't have to tell the world - the important thing is that it makes your life make more sense and now you can start understanding yourself and why you feel this way or that way and so on.
One of the mistakes I made when I first realized I was probably on the spectrum was sharing it with someone I thought would be supportive. I had always talked to her about my struggles and things I did that I knew was not normal - like freezing and feeling like I lived in a box. So I was excited to tell her I had finally learned what all this was. Nope, even after my official diagnosis she's the last person I confide in now.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you get your questions answered.

An interesting process that may be revelatory might be to have someone who knows you well, read the same information you are reading online and once they have completed ask them if they see these descriptions and or traits in you.

Maybe sometimes we see what we want to see but those who know us and will be frank and candid may be more impartial. This is why professional diagnosis is optimal in my opinion.

Sound like a fun process? Maybe? Am I thinking crazy?

At the end of the day you were beautifully and wonderfully created to be exactly who you are .... destined for an amazing life.

I’m convinced of it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom