• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Understanding...But Not

The only thing I had been warned about was improving inter-office relationships. But even after I sat there and explained Asperger's to my boss and what "deficiencies" it creates in the estimate of NTs, he acknowledged and said ok, only to 5 seconds later tell me I needed to be the one to change. But they also wanted me to sign something that had me agreeing to not bring any action against them. I couldn't take it to my wife and discuss it with her. I was told it went away if I left the building without signing it. I would have gotten another month of pay from them if I had signed it. But being in the middle of nowhere, my concern was unemployment because it is not easy to find a job out here unless you have some specific qualifications. And they called the lawyer and confirmed it would prevent me from filing for unemployment if I signed it.
A dirty trick....a rotten company...:confused:.....they know they are in trouble, ask for a unfair firing severance package.....they may actually give you one....they are already sweating blood.

See an attorney if possible and see about getting a copy of your file. You have rights. Have your attorney request the files. That should send a message. That bit about signing a non-litigation agreement is a red flag.

See an attorney if possible and see about getting a copy of your file. You have rights. Have your attorney request the files. That should send a message. That bit about signing a non-litigation agreement is a red flag.

Agreed. Looking at the timeline of events it appears the OP was set up to fail by his former employer. If that happened to me I'd most certainly want an attorney to oversee what happened.

Hi Evil :)

Well I'm so sorry to hear you got terminated, but glad you're in a better place than you were last time

I have a friend who is eccentric but an incredibly hard worker. She had exceptional production but the bottom line is they wanted her out, and if they want you out they find a way!! They made bogus complaints about her performance. They questioned her every move. It was absolutely disgusting and disheartening but she's much better outside of that toxic environment.

What tore me up the most was they diminished her sense of self and created such anxiety for her that she wasn't strong enough to get an attorney and fight back

At any rate, I don't mean to sound like a Pollyanna, but this issue needs to come to the forefront and if you feel up to it, maybe you can do your own small part to help others from experiencing this discrimination in the future. Of course, you would be helping yourself at the same time.

I have a feeling things are looking up for you. It must have been a terrible feeling of betrayal to trust your boss who ultimately didn't stand up for you.

Wanted to let you know that I'm sorry to hear this!

By the way, my boyfriend also got terminated shortly after my last post. Luckily, he's been working on his own business online and just found a temporary position to supplement that income.

Update us as to how things are going. Take care.

Oh, one other thing, like someone else mentioned sometimes it's better to simply threaten a lawsuit I know the company where I work has let a few people go without good cause. I am in FL that is a right to work state. I think that's what they're called when they can fire you without cause Anyway, I'm pretty sure they settled with these people I know of. They may have the right to do it, but it's also bad publicity for them if somebody publicly complains about it.

Sisselcakes: "right to work" refers to the practice of forcing new hires to join labor unions. The premise is that union membership should not be mandatory for one to have a job. This is primarily a 'southern' mentality. The rub is that people who do not join unions in such states still want to partake of the gains that union employees make through their union negotiations, and union members do not like these 'moocher' co-workers. I think that the practice you are thinking of is 'at will' employment. This is near universal practice and is based on the premise that the agreement between employer and employee is subject to termination at anytime for any reason by either party without notice.

Sisselcakes: "right to work" refers to the practice of forcing new hires to join labor unions. The premise is that union membership should not be mandatory for one to have a job. This is primarily a 'southern' mentality. The rub is that people who do not join unions in such states still want to partake of the gains that union employees make through their union negotiations, and union members do not like these 'moocher' co-workers. I think that the practice you are thinking of is 'at will' employment. This is near universal practice and is based on the premise that the agreement between employer and employee is subject to termination at anytime for any reason by either party without notice.

Absolutely. I finally got my unemployment filing back, and they are going ahead and providing payments to me because it was found that I did not lose my job due to misconduct, just that my employer was not satisfied with me. So that was an At-Will termination. Good thing I am in a new job now.

Absolutely. I finally got my unemployment filing back, and they are going ahead and providing payments to me because it was found that I did not lose my job due to misconduct, just that my employer was not satisfied with me. So that was an At-Will termination. Good thing I am in a new job now.

At-Will termination just because the Boss didn't like you? If any given employer did that to me I would routinely sue the pants off him for unlawful dismissal.

Having to explain that I'm not being an ass, that I am just stating things. My wife still struggles with understanding that as well.

But you are in their eyes. This autism thing is oh so complex,! you really believe that your co-workers will understand or forgive? Or take the time to learn? I have the same issues.
This disabling autism is not like someone with a physical disability, which they can see. If they don’t like you because of things you say, it won’t matter if you have autism or whatever. People are people.

New Threads

Top Bottom