• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unbiased Trans Information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it not always a good idea to hear both sides of the story?
It is important to know personal experiences as well in addition to the resources which are typically written by biased humans\professionals.

You would listen to the positive cases right? then you will want to listen to the negative cases too in making a decision without assuming it won't happen to you. That's what the detrans expected and they criticize the assumption that 'its very rare it isn't successful, detrans cases are rare.' It's not as rare as they say and it happens.

Whole information which op is looking for must contain both sides. The negatives can't be overlooked when making informed decisions.

Please note where I said the information provided is relevant and important, but also biased.

I am a little confused about how a person with a bad experience is biased in this particular case.
If it was bad for them, it was bad for them, I would have thought. :cool:

I may be missing something, here. :koala:
You have a point, positive and negative personal experiences, while science doesn't rely on personal "stories" i would like to say that detrans people have been diagnosed by doctors with life long conditions. This is not the same as the scientific claim 'personal stories' or whatever word is used, i forgot, which in science don't qualify as fact.

These people have been tested, it's not stories based on opinion, it is based on fact. So easily people can be confused by terms.

Please note where I said the information provided is relevant and important, but also biased.
But it could be said that those in favour also have their own bias.
"Bias" is essentially moot in my mind.
Let me think about it a little longer. ;)

But it could be said that those in favour also have their own bias.
"Bias" is essentially moot in my mind.
Let me think about it a little longer. ;)
Exactly. Either “side” would be biased. The thread is about unbiased information sources. Please think about it a little longer.

You have a point, positive and negative personal experiences, while science doesn't rely on personal "stories" i would like to say that detrans people have been diagnosed by doctors with life long conditions. This is not the same as the scientific claim 'personal stories' or whatever word is used, i forgot, which in science don't qualify as fact.

These people have been tested, it's not stories based on opinion, it is based on fact. So easily people can be confused by terms.
I think the word is personal testimonies, although that's more so the legal term which has nothing to do with scientific testing, where in law personal testimonies in front of the court are above all the other evidence as crime can be falsified.

I am not going to have an argument, but hearing both sides of the story would be helpful to me.
This is actually my MO.

This is what the OP said:
I'm not interested in starting a discussion on how people feel about trans people in general. I'm wondering what people know about the health implications of a person medically transitioning through hormones, surgery, or otherwise.
Hearing actual examples where ppl have regretted the decision would be something I would be interested in.
It would be essential in forming a personal opinion.

It is akin to reading reviews online.
I guess it is up to Fino to determine where he wants the discussion to go.

Exactly. Either “side” would be biased. The thread is about unbiased information sources. Please think about it a little longer.
But being unbiased is about accepting both sides of the evidence, not rejecting them all.

But being unbiased is about accepting both sides of the evidence, not rejecting them all.
Perhaps Fino is talking about ppl who only have an opinion rather than personal experiences.
I.E., Perhaps he doesn't want opinions.
This is my best guess.

@All-Rounder
@Jonn

I think perhaps you are taking my assertion personally.

I did not deny the value or the relevance of the information that @All-Rounder provided in her post.

I simply noted that it is indeed, biased.

It was stated that the information was from a detrans community. This would be a biased source of information.

There are biases on both sides of this issue, and somewhere in between there is unbiased information.

For my part, I don’t remember stating that it was more important to hear one side over the other. I think finding unbiased information is very very difficult.

@All-Rounder
@Jonn

I did not deny the value or the relevance of the information that @AllRounder provided in her post.

It was stated that the information was from a detrans community. This would be a biased source of information.

There are biases on both sides of this issue, and somewhere in between there is unbiased information.

For my part, I don’t remember stating that it was more important to hear one side over the other. I think finding unbiased information is very very difficult.
Agreed.
I think I have said all I need to say.
As I indicated initially, this is a learning curve for me.

Cheers...

@All-Rounder
@Jonn

I did not deny the value or the relevance of the information that @AllRounder provided in her post.

I didn't say it was something you said. just something I think would be putting the sides face to face.

Unbiased to me is, practically if you come from a biased mindset and have come to the point of making a decision on that mindset, perhaps sit down and listen to the opposite, or the 'enemy' and try to understand what they have to say. of course that will be hard to do because of various factors and if other people are involved it gets more difficult.

Unbiased sources are sources citing both views, of course difficult unless you make them on the spot and cite both.

The medical evidence tends to be less biased, but often indicative through explanation of the procedures, permanence and side effects drawn from subjects who went through it.

If depression is present I would say it's better fixed to see how it might affect this decision.

Unbiased sources are sources citing both views, of course difficult unless you make them on the spot and cite both.
I suppose this is where opinions come in and yours and mine differ. Considering two biased sources equally does not cancel out the bias and make it unbiased.

An unbiased source is a different thing. It is something that lacks bias.

But where we agree, is that it is indeed extremely important to listen to both sides. Even when it is uncomfortable.

I suppose this is where opinions come in and yours and mine differ. Considering two biased sources equally does not cancel out the bias and make it unbiased.

An unbiased source is a different thing. It is something that lacks bias.

But where we agree, is that it is indeed extremely important to listen to both sides. Even when it is uncomfortable.
Terminology included I would have to agree, the citations will be biased, but the entirety of the compound cannot be because it cites both sides, if it doesn't abide by any and has the interest of the individual in mind.

But one side can be cited still, without abiding singularity to it.

I am not going to have an argument, but hearing both sides of the story would be helpful to me.
This is actually my MO.

This is what the OP said:

Hearing actual examples where ppl have regretted the decision would be something I would be interested in.
It would be essential in forming a personal opinion.

It is akin to reading reviews online.
I guess it is up to Fino to determine where he wants the discussion to go.
That's practically why I replied the way I did, but my rememberance is not good.

Perhaps Fino is talking about ppl who only have an opinion rather than personal experiences.
I.E., Perhaps he doesn't want opinions.
This is my best guess.
You are confusing me cause what you said seems contradictory?

He is looking for personal opinions, but perhaps he doesn't want opinions?

You mean personal anectodes but doesn't care about opinions of people who haven't been through it?

If so I think so too. The bias tends to be greater without experience. I haven't been through it but I was interested and listened to people who have, and the downsides can be major with some procedures in my opinion. To each their own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom