• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Typing / editing process sometimes cumbersome in 'Autism Forums.'

MROSS

Anybody experiencing the following?

The process of typing posts can sometimes be a slow process - that is the letters/characters a user types sometimes hesitates to post to the text box in 'Autism Forums.' This also makes editing cumbersome.

Have the 'Autism Forums' TECH. staff looked into this?

I don't have this problem when I write posts on my phone. However it tends to happen on my Amazon tablet. It seems to be a problem with the tablet and the way it processes text predictions. It also seems to go quite mad when editing a post I'm writing. If I go back and correct a spelling error it will produce all kinds of crazy words and insert them into the word I'm editing.

Have you tried using a different browser? I know that spell checking etc can be built into web browsers and I'm wondering if perhaps what you are experiencing is the browser or some part of the windows API that is being laggy when parsing what you are typing? Maybe trying an alternative browser might change the editing behaviour?

As mentioned in original post, the difficulty with text/characters hesitating to post only happens sometimes. Could this be hesitation which might occur only during busier times on 'Autism Forums?

The brower I use is Google Chrome.

Just to try and rule it out, do you use any Chrome extensions such as Grammarly or something similar?

When you are editing a post in your browser, the text is being edited locally on your machine and at regular intervals the contents of the text window are uploaded to the website.

This is my hypothesis...I'm wondering if perhaps for some reason this process is happening too quickly or if something process is taking control of the text window and isn't allowing the synchronization to take place when it should so the sync requests are kinda piling up and you are seeing this as a kind of stuttering/lagginess.

I would check to be sure that you haven't acquired a rogue chrome extension. There are web browser extensions that basically parse when you are typing to serve up targeted adverts. They sometimes get subtly installed along side something else. They are fairly benign but usually they can cause slow downs like you describe.

I had this happen to me a couple of years ago where it would check what I was writing in real-time and change certain words to green links that would link to online stores. It would cause lagging and would also cause deleting text to become a chore as it attempted to check the partial words for, I guess, key words in it's database.

I'm not saying that this has definitely happened, but it would be worth checking your chrome extensions just to rule it out.

Anybody experiencing the following?

The process of typing posts can sometimes be a slow process - that is the letters/characters a user types sometimes hesitates to post to the text box in 'Autism Forums.' This also makes editing cumbersome.

Have the 'Autism Forums' TECH. staff looked into this?
Every now and then, something like this happens. Maybe it is Autism forums, maybe WordPress, maybe FaceBook. The type starts buffering, and I'll type a 50-character sentence and then see the text pop up one letter at a time ever so slowly. I figure some process has grabbed the CPU and slowed everything down. If I close and reopen the browser, it goes away. Sometimes, all I have to do is refresh the page. Occasionally, it will pop up a message saying a process is causing the browser to slow and do I want to stop the process.

It could be bad website code, an aggressive advert, another application running in the background, or I clicked on something that caused a fatal conflict. Edge is notorious for locking things up. It doesn't play well with other software, particularly non-MS browsers.

I consider it just part of the overhead of life.

I have no difficulty using this service, and the only related extension I have is a spelling checker.

(WIN 11 and Firefox on a Lenovo laptop)

I haven't had any issues with this site on mobile or PC throughout the years, but I think @MildredHubble is onto something, because I've had Chrome do some really weird stuff. In fact, it got so bad at one point that I reverted back to Firefox years ago and haven't really looked back since.

It's no secret that Chrome is one of the most needlessly-bloaty apps out there, and at this point it's actually kind of an inside joke among people who are trying to free up system resources to run things like Photoshop. I'd look into that first and foremost, TBH

Can't say I've had such an issue using Firefox- or Brave (which uses the Chrome engine).

I’ve definitely noticed it on my iPhone 12, and it seems this is really the only site that does it. I use google Chrome, iOS version 17.1 if that’s helpful.

New Threads

Top Bottom