• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trying to figure this out

Spinning Compass

V.I.P Member
Yesterday I was talking to someone I hadn't seen for awhile, and right in the middle of saying something, he waved his hand in front of my face and changed the subject. It left me bewildered. I think that what he was trying to say was "Stop, you've told me this before," but if that were the case, wouldn't it have been better to simply say it and not leave me guessing? I thought it rather rude, but after all what do I know?

Yeah, I know, perhaps I should have asked him, but that would have opened the door to all kinds of unpleasantness, because I "should" have known what he meant, and if I didn't know, well, you all know what that brands you as. Better to let it go.

That seem very rude and confusing why they would do that. Were you rambling on for ages or did you just start talking? it seems they were in the wrong and they should of handled it better .

That is bewildering. Did the subject he change to have some sort of big importance, like "news" from his life he wanted to tell you? I'm trying to figure out a scenario where his response might be appropriate. Were you running on about something? I sometimes start out alright then get too detailed. Sometimes my conversations go beyond what is appropriate, TMI too much information. This does seem sort of rude, and is not something I've ever seen anyone do before. I am puzzled.

My only guess would be that either you were rambling and he was trying to tell you to stop or else he had something really important to say.

My guess:

Aspies are known not to respond to subtle social cues, such as are given when someone is not interested in what you are talking about.

The guy who waved his hand in front of your face is perhaps aware of that in your case - so he decided to give you a not-so-subtle social cue.

Please remember that this is just a guess.

Does he have trouble remembering things he wants to say? Perhaps he simply couldn't wait to tell you or he would forget? Regardless of his reason, I would consider it rude.

My guess is that it was just plain rudeness as he has displayed rude behavior on other occasions with other people. I don't think he knows that I have Asperger's and even if he did, most people will say something like, you've told that story before or not to change the subject, but. Still it is a bit disconcerting.

It sounds rude to me! I think he was being selfish (or at the very least, extremely ignorant) and just coming up with the best way to get you to be quiet so that he could take about whatever he wanted to.

New Threads

Top Bottom