• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Toothbrushing

Do any of these apply to you? Tick off any/all that apply to you:

• I do not have trouble with any aspect of brushing my teeth.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I do have trouble with one or more aspects of brushing my teeth.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • It is hard for me to remember to brush my teeth.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Brushing my teeth is tedious/boring.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Brushing my teeth is unpleasant/upsetting/awful/torturous.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I enjoy brushing my teeth.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have sensory issues with toothpaste (texture, burning/tingling/numbing, taste, smell)

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • I have sensory issues with the toothbrush (feeling in mouth/hands, look/sound/taste/smell of brush)

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I have motor coordination issues that make toothbrushing difficult.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other important thing you should've put here, tortoise (would you be willing to explain in a post?)

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
I also usually prefer the body odor smell to cologne or perfume, Tortoise. Deodorant is nice, though, I use dove every couple of days.

My teeth have been a hellacious problem for me during my life. I absolutely abhorred toothpastes, bubble, mint, etc. I drank juice or ate something sugary in the morning to cure my bad breath. Later I learned that tea or a cigarette would mask my morning breath...

Needless to say, my teeth are in terrible shape by now, after six root canals, six pulled teeth, and over 70 fillings. I only have four (I had to count) of my original teeth completely intact. The rest are covered in crowns and bridges (my grandparents paid for my dental work).

I generally dislike dentists. Some have been outright quacks. The last one I had, an Indian man, said that if I didn't take good care of my teeth, my health would deteriorate. I liked him. I now brush my teeth 2 or 3 times a day, every day. I occasionally use alcoholic rinses (scope, listerine) and they work well for my teeth, but seem to upset my gums. I try to do an extremely salty, sea-salt rinse at least every other day. I use calcium carbonate based toothpaste. I find that no toothpaste doesn't work for the condition of my teeth, but less often works best.

I want to add at the end, I look forward to the day I can pull all them suckers out of my mouth and just wear dentures! No peanut butter, but I feel like one of the monumental travesties of my life will be over then:)

Toothbrushing was a big issue as a child.
The foamy, texture and flavors made me sick.
Mom thought I would never get used to it and never
really did. Still do not like brushing, but, dislike the feel
of dirty teeth even worse.
That is my motivating thought mornings and bedtime.
Just do it because I want the feeling of clean teeth.

I found the electric spin brush to be much nicer than
a manual in the overall feeling of the brush.
Easier control also.

I like Colgate liquid gel better than a paste.
Pastes are too thick and foamy.
Pepsodent clean care if I must use a paste is smooth and
doesn't taste bad.
I don't like flossing. It is very tedious and even
difficult for me. I do it occasionally.
I found Doctor's Brushpicks the best for cleaning between the teeth. Easy to use and fast.

After lunch I will use mouthwash. Listerine regular.
Not the flavored ones. Just enough to make my mouth
feel fresh and get rid of any left over lunch particles since it does burn a bit.

I don't have problems with going to the dentist now,
but I remember my first time Mom took me as a child to the dentist.
I had such a fit, the dentist told her to get me out of there because he didn't want me!

My teeth have always been yellowish and poor. I had some fluoride treatment at the dentist when I was 14 after which there was improvement but I needed front crowns by then. Then I had 6 front crowns later and a row of linked crowns in my lower jaw. Just had penicillin for an abcess as a crowns come off and was waiting for an appointment this has happened a few times . Clearly my teeth are a bit rubbish but I also more recently realised I probably never knew how to brush them properly or used floss and still don't usually use floss. I didn't realise I didn't know what to do to look after my teeth plus had had no curiosity about this I only thought about it after understanding the way my high autistic traits work think I was just always oblivious to looking after my teeth being up to me or how to do it.

That was the Other issue I meant therefore when I ticked it. I also have a huge reluctance to change dentists despite being a long way from mine.He's not great either but he's ok.

The who washing thingy is so tedious, but because I love to be clean, I push myself.

I hate dentists, so I made it my goal to look after my teeth, even though they are not in the best condition, due to having sucked my thumb for years and eating a lot of sugar.

I use natural ingredients in my tooth paste. Last night, had rather a nasty toothache and so, when I brushed my teeth, I was actually able to brush the toothache away, with my natural paste!

I do not use floride.

Brushing teeth is boring. I watch/listen to something while brushing, and pace about. Then I get toothpaste on the floor and have to mop it up.

I don't like strong mint toothpaste. I use herbal toothpaste instead, which is milder.

I don't like the smell of my mouth.

When I try to get to the teeth at the back of my mouth, it induces a gag reflex. It's hard to brush the back teeth without this reflex.

Kids' toothbrushes are better for the back of my mouth as they are smaller and can reach easily, but they are very soft and i don't know how well they remove plaque.

See recently, I’ve been feeling down because of other people (NTs) being a**holes. It has resulted in me not brushing my teeth as often as I should. Yeah, I’m depressed, and realise this. I’ve remembered to brush my teeth this morning. It’s a beautiful day and the snow is gone so taking myself out for a walk and have coffee.

Brushing teeth is boring. I watch/listen to something while brushing, and pace about. Then I get toothpaste on the floor and have to mop it up.

I don't like strong mint toothpaste. I use herbal toothpaste instead, which is milder.

I don't like the smell of my mouth.

When I try to get to the teeth at the back of my mouth, it induces a gag reflex. It's hard to brush the back teeth without this reflex.

Kids' toothbrushes are better for the back of my mouth as they are smaller and can reach easily, but they are very soft and i don't know how well they remove plaque.

A smaller head on an electric or battery operated toothbrush works well for me so that I might clean the whole surface area of my back teeth without the gag reflex.

The 2nd last option I guess. I have less than stellar oral hygiene and need some dental work done this year. Guess it may have to do with my Autism, I don't know.

I used to be so bad at remembering or even thinking to brush my teeth that I ended up with quite a few fillings (I also had a terrible dentist phobia.)

I brush once a day now, while I'm in the shower in the morning (another thing I used to be not so good at doing/remembering.) I found that fitting it into the routine I have when I shower helps me remember, because I always do things the same and in the same order, so I can't forget because I can't do the next thing in the routine until I've done the previous step, the same every day.

I still find it mind numbingly boring though. I find that an electric toothbrush is better for me, because I didn't do a great job with a manual and I find manual toothbrushes feel too big in my mouth which I don't like and makes me want to gag. I also can't stand seeing other people brush their teeth :mask:

Until plaque hardens (usually takes about 24 hours) it can actually be removed very easily by a soft cloth or even Q-tips.....I have brushed my teeth with Q-tips -- doesn't get into the crevices like bristles, but works fine for the smooth surfaces.

I use kids toothbrushes, too, because they are easier to maneouver around, especially at the back.

Until plaque hardens (usually takes about 24 hours) it can actually be removed very easily by a soft cloth or even Q-tips.....I have brushed my teeth with Q-tips -- doesn't get into the crevices like bristles, but works fine for the smooth surfaces.

I use kids toothbrushes, too, because they are easier to maneouver around, especially at the back.
I have some sensory issues about certain materials touching my teeth, so I don't think that using Q-tips is an option for me, but it's good to know that plaque won't harden until after about 4 hours.

The best way to avoid this is to brush your teeth over the sink. The toothpaste can fall into the sink, but it’s less stressful to clean that way by using your fingers to remove it under running water.

The best way to avoid this is to brush your teeth over the sink. The toothpaste can fall into the sink, but it’s less stressful to clean that way by using your fingers to remove it under running water.

I agree, but I go nuts just standing at the sink brushing my teeth -- it's too boring, and I end up just not brushing my teeth often enough (or do a pathetic rushed job of it that leaves tons of plaque in place).

(This isn't normally issue for me because I don't usually use toothpaste while brushing, just after brushing, but since I used to always use toothpaste while brushing I would end up dripping toothpaste everywhere unless I had a cup on/in hand to spit excess toothpasty-saliva into, and or periodically walked over to the sink/garbage to spit.)

This is interesting. My AS bf seems to only want to brush his teeth once a day and that's it, no mouthwash and I think he barely flosses. His roommate who is also on the spectium also rarely wants to brush his teeth. This seemed very werid to me (Im NT) but now I can kinda understand now as to probably why they do that. I'm glad I read this, very interesting read.

New Threads

Top Bottom