• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Too much in our heads?

There's a physical world?

I swear, I sometimes forget. Even when I see it and admire it, I feel like it's a dream vision created by my senses.

"ugly, talentless and unintelligent"

But you aren't. That is your insecurity talking. It is something you taught yourself as a way to explain problems that nothing to do with any of that.

Or... it could be a bully talking. Someone who gets their jollies from putting other people down instead of themselves up. Maybe you internalized it.

Either way, it is wrong.

"ugly, talentless and unintelligent"

But you aren't. That is your insecurity talking. It is something you taught yourself as a way to explain problems that nothing to do with any of that.

Or... it could be a bully talking. Someone who gets their jollies from putting other people down instead of themselves up. Maybe you internalized it.

Either way, it is wrong.
You don't know me. I'm text on a screen.

My true form is so indescribable and inconceivable that laying your eyes upon me will cause you to go mad.

I find this kind of comfort in being in my own head and analysing everything. I love watching and listening and judging, especially since people tend to forget I'm there and talk about things they don't want others to know. I sometimes feel like I could just know everything about everyone, just from sitting up the back of a classroom and staying quiet.

Tonite l am working on not over analyzing my current employment, and the conversation l had with this lady. She did thank me for something but seemed to show nothing re: my current success. l am not going to think about any of this.

I tend to over analyze.

I also get too much into my world I no not notice what is going on around me.

Definitely.
But, I learn much and find more accuracy of information from it.
If I didn't have that constant inner dialogue I wouldn't feel natural.

At the same time, I see things in the world that others would never notice.

I've heard before that humans are social animals who have a need to socialize. I often talk to myself when I'm alone but not as much when I have people to talk to. Is it possible that overthinking and analyzing is our way of coping with reduced socializing by "talking" to ourselves inside our head?

But hanging out in our head is free, and free-ing in all respects. We can use it as meditative thought process to face something we aren't facing or a troublesome task we aren't doing. I have at least 2 troublesome tasks and they are tied to troublesome things in my life that l have to subtly acknowledge by accomplishing these.

Dissociating from noisy classrooms and mannerless children (and handsy people in general) has been a deeply ingrained habit since childhood, so I doubt it's as easy as you make it out to be.

If the physical world has something interesting to see, I'll stay in it. There has been periods of time when I'm focusing on my thoughts a lot, but I'm generally willing to change places. There's a lot in this world that's just too fun/interesting/good to be ignored.

I am in a constant state of thinking, overthinking and exploring means to be 'a better' person who will fit in and be accepted by others, and more importantly by myself. it could be 'how to' have a growth mindset, meditate, be in the moment, advoid my 'empath' tendantcies, stop being a 'emotional vampire' (yes this exists!!!!) it's people that suck the joy out of life by being negative and therefore create their own discord and misery, i mask to 'fit in' and because i really don't do that great i'm 'found out' on a regular basis and it is soooo exhausting, so my presence remains primarily in 'the real world' regardless of my exhausting 'pycho babble' and regular renumerations i am different, not a savant or financially solvent just a lonely person trying hard not to be swallowed by anxiety and self loathing.

The World Is Too Much With Us
By William Wordsworth
The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.

The physical world blows goat chunks.

I'll take a VR helmet instead, thanks.

I've heard before that humans are social animals who have a need to socialize.

Today, I learn that I'm actually a cat or something. Might explain a few things.

Here is list of masking techniques from research on masking. They call it compensation and list masking as a subset of techniques. See Appendix 1 on page 5:
https://static-content.springer.com/esm/art:10.1186/s13229-019-0308-y/MediaObjects/13229_2019_308_MOESM1_ESM.docx
That link came up empty for me.

I think what most are referring to as "masking" may vary a bit from one person to the next. Everyone has a slightly different definition.

I think the most important feature is pretending to be someone that you are not. Going to parties you hate, chatting with people you have no interest in talking to, forcing yourself not to stim, enduring noise and confusion because it is expected, damping your enthusiasm for your unusual interests, dumbing yourself down, trying to be social because people think you are weird if you don't. And other stuff could be included.

These things are exhausting and depressing. Pretending to be something you are not because that is what everyone around you thinks you ought to be. The people you have to deal with won't "accept" you if you don't.

Are aspies too much in their head and need to be more in the physical world?

I am both waaay in my head and waaay in my physical reality.

I think we should all figure out where we are and learn to be ok with that. There really is no use fighting against your own nature. I find it best to celebrate it regardless of the extreme pain I have had in this world.

The only think we truly can change is our attitude....

Better than doing nothing else but trying to rent space in someone else's head. Don't know how others feel about that, but I find it irritating.

Personally speaking, I'm not blind to the physical world in any way. I know how to get about and can recognize danger as it comes.

New Threads

Top Bottom