• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Too many choices, simplicity and special interests

No, not like I have many choices so I reckon I’m not into it.

I like/wear the same things. Not sure if it’s more to it working or the decision part. I have to wear soft things and layers because I cannot control my body temperature. Yes it does drive me insane constantly taking off and putting on a sweater/over shirt. I have portable fans in certain locations to cool off quickly as not to fall down. The clothes cannot be tight or have tags, no latex I’m allergic. Yeah, sounds like I’m a pain in the behind lol. I hate this, living like this.

Foods, well if I eat too much I’ll vomit so there is that. Not on purpose mind you, not at all only a finicky stomach. Can’t eat after about 7pm or would pay before I went to bed. Most of the time the food has to be room temp or cold to make the stomach happy. If it were possible, I’d divorce my stomach :-(

When it comes to hobbies I like choices. I like art, so the more paint colors the better.

You know. You got me thinking.

Your post reminds me about how there's this lag time when you pull your child out of public school and start homeschooling them.

You don't just start assigning work right away. You give them a good one or two months, just for them to stare out the window, and go outside, and mess with stuff, so they can learn what they like to do. They have to kind of deprogram from the life they had before.

I think sitting and doing nothing would be very good for you. You need to get your head together after being so overwhelmed.

Doing nothing can often work. I had my tablet stolen recently and thought I'd never see it again, notified the cops anyway. researched a replacement, waited a while, got a letter from the cops asking me to pick up what they thought was my tablet.

So the waiting on taking action for a replacement was the winner.

Unless it's urgent, just procrastinating can throw up some alternatives.

What almost always moves me to immediate meltdown is when I'm driving and my wife is navigating and she says, "you can turn here or go two blocks and turn there or you can...". I have to exclaim, "just tell me where to go. Don't give me options."
If I'm by myself, I will map my course and know how to go. No problem. It's having external navigation being fed to me in real time - with options that I can't handle. Also, if I already have it mapped out and driving along and my wife injects, "It's better to turn here." That is also a meltdown because it derails my thinking making me feel lost.

I have never done well having to choose options on the spot while being monitored or watched. I'm usually OK with options when left alone to decide in peace - such as shopping, etc. I just can't handle it if someone is with me. In that case I expect them to make the choice.

New Threads

Top Bottom