• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Too many advertisements

Ink

Hello everyone,

After signing up to Autism Forums, I have noticed the large quantity of advertisements, and of course I understand that advertisements are needed to cover the running costs of a forum but there's way too many and its slowing the forum down.

I've had an account 15 minutes and my browser has froze twice, I use a i3 processor and 16GB of ram. Of course this is only a suggestion but it should be considered carefully.

Regards,

Corey.

V.I.P Upgrades

We do offer a VIP upgrade that eliminates the ads,but anyone that is computer savvy should already have an ad blocker in place that should clean it up ;)

V.I.P Upgrades

We do offer a VIP upgrade that eliminates the ads,but anyone that is computer savvy should already have an ad blocker in place that should clean it up ;)

I have an ad blocker extension for chrome but most forums I use don't allow ad blockers, so its not a real option for me. I will be getting the upgraded membership as soon as I get paid.

I have an ad blocker extension for chrome but most forums I use don't allow ad blockers, so its not a real option for me. I will be getting the upgraded membership as soon as I get paid.
We don't have an issue with blocking software here,but a contribution to VIP does help defray the costs of keeping us afloat,so every little bit helps and is very much appreciated :)

We don't have an issue with blocking software here,but a contribution to VIP does help defray the costs of keeping us afloat,so every little bit helps and is very much appreciated :)

No problem but my suggestion was more for the people that cannot just afford to throw away money on upgrades, I mean yes have advertisements but maybe tone them down a little.

No problem but my suggestion was more for the people that cannot just afford to throw away money on upgrades, I mean yes have advertisements but maybe tone them down a little.
Nice suggestion,but most of the ad blocking applications are free,so I really don't think that is the total solution.

For one,as an administrator here,that is a decision that is above my pay grade and so far,out of 11,209 members,you are the first one to ever bring it up.

This is a Chrome version of the ad blocker I use on Firefox:
AdBlock

I would hope that you with your skills won't find it challenging to use :)

I have VIP, but before I got it I didn't understand what everyone was talking about with the ads, as I couldn't see any. Turns out AdBlock on Chrome (I'm on a Chromebook) had been blocking them already.

I'm using AdBlock Plus in a setting that still allows low-key, passive ads. (It just blocks the intrusive ones.) I don't see many places taking advantage of that window of opportunity, though.

I've never seen ads on this forum, even before I became a VIP member. Using Ad Block and UBlock on firefox at the moment. Welcome to the forum Ink.

VIP is much smoother much faster, no glitches, its not expensive... I just see it as logical to support the forum that helps us be us... but thats just me. Thats why we have options : )

I have tons of ads too but hoping to do VIP since once is for a lifetime now. Can we mail a cheque? I dont have a cred card

I have tons of ads too but hoping to do VIP since once is for a lifetime now. Can we mail a cheque? I dont have a cred card
Contact @Brent thru PM and see what kind of arrangements he can make to accommodate you thru snail mail :)

V.I.P Upgrades

It is nice to have VIP and do away with the ads, but it was only because of the short term special on it that I got it. Before I got the VIP to drive away the ads, the ads were quite horrible. I am neither tech savvy, nor rich, I was suffering from the ads. I was considering leaving the site because problems from them were so hard to deal with.

I kept getting bumped off the site when in the middle of a chat, I also had a bad time signing in, so it took me a while getting back to the chat. I barely got chatting before it happened again. Repeat.

While trying to write for a blog or thread, I got bumped off the site also. When I tried to continue my post, the part I had been writing was wiped out and I had to start over. This happened so much I started saving after almost each paragraph.

When I was trying to keyboard my posts or chat, the ads caused what I was working on to bounce up and down so much that it made me feel seasick.

There were a lot more problems. I just wanted to give a liktle idea about how bad it is to be forced to endure the ads here due to being technologically inept and poor. I would like to remind you of what you probably already know that unemployed on this site are almost sure to be more than those employed due to being on the Autism Spectrum. A lot of us are probably less tech savvy than average also.

From the way you phrased your posts on this thread, I am sure there is something that could be done about the grating and too numerous ads. I hope you will do that something. I expect that it is Google deciding the majority of what happens with ads, and they do this ad torture even worse on some sites. I am grateful that it is not that bad here, but if it was, I would not be on this site. It is likely to be the same for others.

Ad torture does not seem like a good way to treat the nice people on this site. I don't want to seem like an ingrate wretch for talking about this stuff, because I do love this site. I am talking about it for the sake of the rest of the sufferers who will not say anything and who will never get a VIP upgrade to escape the ad torture.

It is nice to have VIP and do away with the ads, but it was only because of the short term special on it that I got it. Before I got the VIP to drive away the ads, the ads were quite horrible. I am neither tech savvy, nor rich, I was suffering from the ads. I was considering leaving the site because problems from them were so hard to deal with.

I kept getting bumped off the site when in the middle of a chat, I also had a bad time signing in, so it took me a while getting back to the chat. I barely got chatting before it happened again. Repeat.

While trying to write for a blog or thread, I got bumped off the site also. When I tried to continue my post, the part I had been writing was wiped out and I had to start over. This happened so much I started saving after almost each paragraph.

When I was trying to keyboard my posts or chat, the ads caused what I was working on to bounce up and down so much that it made me feel seasick.

There were a lot more problems. I just wanted to give a liktle idea about how bad it is to be forced to endure the ads here due to being technologically inept and poor. I would like to remind you of what you probably already know that unemployed on this site are almost sure to be more than those employed due to being on the Autism Spectrum. A lot of us are probably less tech savvy than average also.

From the way you phrased your posts on this thread, I am sure there is something that could be done about the grating and too numerous ads. I hope you will do that something. I expect that it is Google deciding the majority of what happens with ads, and they do this ad torture even worse on some sites. I am grateful that it is not that bad here, but if it was, I would not be on this site. It is likely to be the same for others.

Ad torture does not seem like a good way to treat the nice people on this site. I don't want to seem like an ingrate wretch for talking about this stuff, because I do love this site. I am talking about it for the sake of the rest of the sufferers who will not say anything and who will never get a VIP upgrade to escape the ad torture.

My first question is to ask you why you didn't place your issue in the site suggestion area.
Site Questions, Suggestions & Feedback
If we don't know about a problem,we can't help you ;)

Ok,thanks for the details,but you still haven't offered me much in the line of what device or what operating system you are using so it can be further investigated.

This is all news to me because I am tech savvy and knew about ad blocking software for years now.
I really don't know how anyone could survive the internet without some technical prowess.

Now,back to the real details...

Are you on a phone,and is it an Android or an Apple product.
Is it a tablet,with the same questions?

Are you using a laptop on wifi? If on wifi,is it possible that you have a poor signal that gives you the disconnects?

Is it running a windows operating system,Google's or is it an Apple product?

Are you running a desktop unit with all of the same details applying as the laptop?

Is the device up to date,as in has it been updated in recent times?

And for the last question,do you have someone tech savvy that can help you?

My first question is to ask you why you didn't place your issue in the site suggestion area.
Site Questions, Suggestions & Feedback
If we don't know about a problem,we can't help you ;)

Ok,thanks for the details,but you still haven't offered me much in the line of what device or what operating system you are using so it can be further investigated.

This is all news to me because I am tech savvy and knew about ad blocking software for years now.
I really don't know how anyone could survive the internet without some technical prowess.

Now,back to the real details...

Are you on a phone,and is it an Android or an Apple product.
Is it a tablet,with the same questions?

Are you using a laptop on wifi? If on wifi,is it possible that you have a poor signal that gives you the disconnects?

Is it running a windows operating system,Google's or is it an Apple product?

Are you running a desktop unit with all of the same details applying as the laptop?

Is the device up to date,as in has it been updated in recent times?

And for the last question,do you have someone tech savvy that can help you?

Wow! I did not expect such a detailed answer here. Thanks for answering. I do not like talking about my equipment in this thread. I will reply in a PM. I hope you will consider helping others still stuck with ad torture. I do not think my replies will help anyone else since I have old equipment that it is not likely others also have.

I scrolled down, so I wouldn't see all the answers ( I try to go for authenticity).

If you pay 10 dollars I think it is ( and even lower if you are paying with a different currency), suddenly absolute relief. I am so glad I paid for VIP status.

An aspie friend explained to me why she chose to pay ( I was not happy at first and refused to pay) and what she said made perfect sense. Aspiecentral is a heartwarming forum and so, deserves our help to keep it running and thus, I spoke to my hubby and although he was reluctant, he agreed, because I do our accounts and thus, knew I could afford it.

Now, it is bliss, to come here and see absolutely NO adverts and it happend so fast and you get the lovely title of being called a Very Important Person and you name highlighted in a beautiful sea blue.

Last edited:
I'm glad I made the change to VIP. I had an Adblock on so it doesn't make any difference to me in that regard. It just occurred to me one day, what a wonderful resource this place is as well as a place of great support, information and friendship for many people myself included, who would have very little or none without it, and it's open 24 hours a day!

I understand that not everyone can afford to upgrade but if those that can do, it will help keep the site up and maintained for everyone.

I would like to use this opportunity to say a big thank you to all the people involved in the creation, running and moderating etc of autismforums.com you're doing a great job for little or no thanks, so thank you from me!

I have an Ad Blocker and Javascript ad blocker on my browser together. It's been a much needed thing while I browse websites. Ads have gotten worse on alot of websites in the years.

I used to just let the ad's run. But until just recently. I had to start using an ad blocker because the ad's were getting too intrusive, obnoxious and were starting to cause security violations. I use the Firefox browser because it detects these threats and let me know about them. I don't mean to deprive you of ad revenue. But my sensory health and computer security come first.

New Threads

Top Bottom