• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Today was a nightmare.

pompi

Today was terrible. Here are the events that happened that make me think it was a bad day:
1. My uncle's family came to visit us without warning in the middle of the day.
2. He has a dog; it was barking at me aggressively. (I'm scared of barking dogs)
3. His dog was not neutered.
4. His dog was trying to aggressively mate with my dog. (My dog fell twice)
5. My mom told me it was okay to ask if they want to go eat lunch. After I asked if they wanted to go eat lunch my mom and uncle's family reject the request.
6. I feel guilty for asking such a stupid question, so I go cry in my room until they left.
7. We did not go to the college campus as planned because of the surprise visit.
8. We did not go to the bookstore after visiting the campus as planned.
9. My mom tells me to let it go it was just a small thing. (It was not.)
10. Near the end of the day I wanted to spend time with my brother because today is his day off, but we get interrupted before starting.
11. I get an email from my college professor saying that if I need an accommodation, I should contact DPS. (I'm not sure what she meant it was very short)
12. My brother yelled from his room telling me to get my laptop off the bed. (I was busy.)
13. It's really warm.

I'm sorry you had such a crappy day. I understand why you're upset :(
That's a lot of lousy things to happen all at once. I hope you have had some time to yourself to do some self-care and relax. And I hope tomorrow will be better!

This is a good opportunity for a professional dog trainer PSA, if anyone wants/needs it, but I'll spoiler it because it's kind of off-topic and potentially "controversial":
I know I have said this before on here, but anyone who has a pet dog (meaning a dog that they are not going to breed, or compete in certain types of performance events) should be STRONGLY encouraged to spay/neuter their dog, unless they can be COMPLETELY responsible about it.
None of my dogs are neutered but I have a license to (responsibly) breed them. I could go into a lot more detail about how and why I am dedicated to raising (healthy, purpose-bred) puppies, but I would never recommend anyone who is not a professional (and licensed, registered, accredited, and *inspected*) to try to breed dogs.

Unneutered male dogs can be a lot more prone to aggression, barking and being destructive, being territorial and overprotective, being defiant, single-focused, and ignoring commands, displays of "dominance" (with other dogs, or people) and fighting, marking furniture/walls, escaping and roaming, and obviously mating with unspayed females, which causes issues with people having "unwanted" puppies which contributes to overpopulation of dogs that end up in animal shelters.
There are a lot of reasons to spay female dogs too, one of the bigger ones being that heat cycles are gross and, again, hard to deal with if you don't know what you're doing. I have a few females that go into heat a few times a year and you have to be really serious about separating the boys from the girls when they can't be watched 24/7. And if you have both intact males AND intact females, the males go totally bonkers when the girls are in heat and if you're in their way, good luck.

~But the correct age to neuter a male dog safely is >12 months, and spaying females is 8-12+ months and only after they've had at least one heat cycle. Dogs become sexually mature at 8-10 months depending on the breed.

Don't know if that was helpful for anyone to know or if it was just rambling, in which case I apologize.
But my reason for bringing it up is that if your uncle's dog is a family pet and he isn't licensed to breed him, the dog should probably be neutered (and trained better :nomouth:) Having an intact male dog with raging testosterone barking in your face and aggressively mounting your female dog is... really not a good thing.

I am sorry that you had such a bad day. I also think that you did a very good job with all what happened that day.

I would have focused much more on my daugther needs than in my sister ones, and my daugther is not autist as far as I know. So just to let you know:

1. If my sister came to our house without warning I would tell her that she is the one whi needs to adapt to our rutines.

2. If her dog starts barking at my daugther, the dog goes out of my house. If she doesnt like that, she can go out too.

3. You dont have reasons to feel guilty as far as I know. You did your best, and even checked with your mom. What more could you have done? We lack social skills. Its like a blind person feels guilty for not knowing the colour of their uncle clothes. We just can do our best and you did.

4. Even after that, you still did your best despite they changed your routine. So good job.

To me you did very well on such a bad day.

That definitely sounds like a lot of things adding up - I would’ve been thrown off by number one – a surprise visit. Everything from there is just trying to put the pieces of the day back together. It’s difficult when the list starts getting long, like yours - to me it feels like an avalanche, and if my patience with sensory intrusions is fried, it can be difficult to get the day back.

I hope today is a better day for you – it’s definitely worth it to try again for a better day.

Some visitors up here abandon their dogs, which I think is extremely cruel. Some, before being coyote food, become aggressive. I do not feel like killing them and having them dissected for rabies. However, since I hike in Grizzly country, I do have some good bear spray. Once there was an aggressive, unknown, dog that chased a usually well behaved neighbor's dog, who looked very frightened, onto my property. I managed to use the spray on the aggressive dog which left it in pain and on the ground before it ran off as I approached more closely. I leashed my neighbor's lab and walked him home. I suggest getting a can of bear spray for the next time that untrained dog visits. Just NEVER use it in an enclosed space unless you wish to experience level 10 pain.

Since then, I have gotten a box of rubber slugs for my shotgun to use in such situations. Less expensive than bear spray

Last edited:
Today was terrible. Here are the events that happened that make me think it was a bad day:
1. My uncle's family came to visit us without warning in the middle of the day.
2. He has a dog; it was barking at me aggressively. (I'm scared of barking dogs)
3. His dog was not neutered.
4. His dog was trying to aggressively mate with my dog. (My dog fell twice)
5. My mom told me it was okay to ask if they want to go eat lunch. After I asked if they wanted to go eat lunch my mom and uncle's family reject the request.
6. I feel guilty for asking such a stupid question, so I go cry in my room until they left.
7. We did not go to the college campus as planned because of the surprise visit.
8. We did not go to the bookstore after visiting the campus as planned.
9. My mom tells me to let it go it was just a small thing. (It was not.)
10. Near the end of the day I wanted to spend time with my brother because today is his day off, but we get interrupted before starting.
11. I get an email from my college professor saying that if I need an accommodation, I should contact DPS. (I'm not sure what she meant it was very short)
12. My brother yelled from his room telling me to get my laptop off the bed. (I was busy.)
13. It's really warm.
I'm sorry for your bad day. I know what it's like to have your heart and mind set on something and just have it all dismissed. May tomorrow be better for you!

New Threads

Top Bottom