• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Today I was fired via telephone

I accepted a security position at a hospital in the psychiatric ward. I was terminated after three days. HR representative told me I didn't understand their clientele. I have my own ideas as to why I was fired, but in the end I was devastated, and haven't been able to find employment since then, 18 months. I understand where you're at, I've been at my lowest point the last couple months.

I did accept a part-time position today as a custodian at a nature preserve. I wish it was full-time, but at this point I'm happy to accept anything I can get. I'm still at a very low point, but this job will definitely help my mental state.

I wish you the best. I know how hard this is for you. Please stay on the forum and let us know how you're doing. It's something I should have done, but didn't.
I am really sorry that this happened to you. I would have felt demoralized if I had been fired after only three days. That's really ridiculous as three days is not enough to determine one's fitness to perform the job. That would've left me very angry. Had this happened to me, the hospital would be hearing from my state's department of labor attorneys.

The state where I live mandates sharing the background check information found with the job candidate. I saw a copy of the report ordered from a third party service (from the third party service website) and no medical history was on this report so I can be reasonably certain that Autism was not a factor. HIPAA laws are really strict!

I stand corrected. When I mentioned the facts that medical and other information is available and routinely accessed by employers, I should have stated: even if they are not part of a "third party background check" instead of saying "not part of an official government background check." You are correct, HIPAA laws are strict, but only about disseminating extra paperwork saying policies are written and filed. The actual policies regarding privacy are not adhered to and NEVER enforced against employers in favor of an older minority worker against whom they have violated this or any other employment law.

I stand corrected. When I mentioned the facts that medical and other information is available and routinely accessed by employers, I should have stated: even if they are not part of a "third party background check" instead of saying "not part of an official government background check." You are correct, HIPAA laws are strict, but only about disseminating extra paperwork saying policies are written and filed. The actual policies regarding privacy are not adhered to and NEVER enforced against employers in favor of an older minority worker against whom they have violated this or any other employment law.
Now this is true! You're not wrong at all. I imagine if my employer had the background check done in house, they would've redacted any health information to cover their own rear.

I can relate to this. I wish someone had sat me down in my 20s and said: "ok I know this is difficult to hear but you're doing a few things that are socially awkward". My guess is that that is all it would have taken for me to figure out from there what I was doing. It still makes me angry that there is a part of me that is completely blind to certain social customs.

I've been thinking of solutions to this problem. I wonder if it were possible to do something like AA does. I think they use a buddy system. How that works is that you're paired up with someone impartial who keeps an eye on you. For us that would mean that your buddy would go: "ok, hang on, think about what you just did".

Employers or co-workers cannot say anything about "awkwardness" as it opens them up to legal complications.

Get used to it. 6-12 month jobs with benefits in between is pretty much what you should expect. Maybe you get lucky and end up somewhere long term, but don't expect it. So plan wisely to get out of the cycle of jobs ASAP.

Mattymatt - you are so impressive and such a positive attitude. You amaze me.
I'm sorry about the termination, but it's good you are eligible for rehire - some places, the only info a past employer is allowed to give out to a future employer is whether or not you're eligible for rehire.
After working 15 years, when I left the hospital I was going to have to start my new job sooner so was going to be short a couple days of leaving with the 4 week notice I gave them. I was told at the end of my shift (but I did have 1 more night I planned to work) that I would not be eligible for rehire because I wasn't finishing out my full notice (they required 2 weeks and I gave them 4). They always waited until the end of a shift to tell anyone they were fired, so they'd get another day out of ya. Anyhow - needless to say - I didn't show up the next night either - why would I? And my friend who still worked there said my boss was surprised that I didn't come to work. Really???

Why can't employers just forwardly explain what went wrong? It would be so helpful to so many people who could really use the help.

If they fired the OP for being Aspie or otherwise disabled, officially they can file a Lawsuit for unfair dismissal under the various anti-discrimination laws which exist even in North America or Canada.

New Threads

Top Bottom