• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Today I was fired via telephone

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
As you guys might know I was working as a security guard. Yesterday, I was told that I was being reassigned to a different site because the client at the site was not happy with me. Today (my day off), I've been told that there is no other site available so that my employment is being terminated. I was told to turn in my uniforms this week. I honestly do not really know what I did wrong because nobody will tell me. They just use very generic, non-descript language. If I take a long and honest look at myself, I probably did something to contribute to this situation but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what I did wrong. I don't even think I've been there long enough to file for unemployment.

I guess it is a good thing that there are plenty of menial jobs available, I managed to save up enough money to put myself through some 40 hours of security training so I might be able to get into healthcare security. I don't really know what I am going to do but I will figure it out. At least I have an interview with a bus company to drive a paratransit shuttle on the 17th but no guarantees.

I am really struggling to stay positive and slowly losing the battle.

That's nothing short of disgraceful Matt! I suppose the only saving grace is that it wasn't by text message. And to avoid giving you a relatable reason stinks as bad.
I don't blame you for feeling disheartened, but I know you'll bounce back. You've got that Cisco training to look forward to next year, so keep yourself going until then. I'm thinking of you mate :)

Over the phone...that's cold. You will find another security gig. I lost my job that I would still be working at to this day if I wasn't fired over lies. I was fired because a 19 year old sjw said that I had sexually harassed him...It was a MALE and I am straight. I will be finding a menial job soon. I just don't want to work with a lot of other people. I can do anything, except get people off my back. I am going to look into security guard training. As long as it doesn't require people skills I will be good.

Thank you, @Autistamatic and @ftfipps. Ironically, I was happy that they fired me over the phone because I did not have to drive 10 miles to the office. This is pretty common in security because they're concerned I might come back and go postal. In the current political and psychological climate in the states, I can understand that fear. They gave me an account number to have my uniforms returned via UPS. So I can return the uniforms at no cost to me. They told me over the phone that since I wasn't rude or combative that I would be eligible for rehire. I would be terminated without prejudice, whatever that really means anyway.

That's potentially good news at the end. They're not firing you for incompetence or bad behaviour, just being surplus to requirements after some fool took a dislike to you at your placement. It sounds more like being made redundant than fired. It doesn't help you with the work situation, but less reason to feel down about it ;)

That's potentially good news at the end. They're not firing you for incompetence or bad behaviour, just being surplus to requirements after some fool took a dislike to you at your placement. It sounds more like being made redundant than fired. It doesn't help you with the work situation, but less reason to feel down about it ;)
I've gotten good at being terminated from jobs since it seems to happen to me so often. I am always magnanimous and understanding instead of getting angry because there's no point. Therefore, I don't get bad references. In my own mind I am furious but I realize the futility of fighting an organization with infinitely more resources than my own. In the end, it's better to leave as professionally as possible even though the situation probably deserves an outburst.

I am sorry that happened to you! I feel for you and I know how it feels. I CANNOT either, understand, why certain people just dislike me. And it can be like a wave. One person says one thing and bam....no it's more than one.

I don't understand.

You are brave. You try so hard. I used to try so hard , too. I don't anymore.

Well you've always got us to vent on. I know I'm always happy to provide a shoulder to a friend as are plenty of other members. You deserve to be proud of the way you conduct yourself and it will pay off in the end ;)

Is it possible that... you told someone at work about having autism then they told the bosses? Or maybe one of your friends is friends with one of them? If they fired you for this reason it's discriminatory and you can give them hell. Sue or demand a severance package, paid leave, something. As long as you were doing your job by the book and didn't give them any legitimate reasons they could use in court... well, you would probably win.

Is it possible that... you told someone at work about having autism then they told the bosses? Or maybe one of your friends is friends with one of them? If they fired you for this reason it's discriminatory and you can give them hell. Sue or demand a severance package, paid leave, something. As long as you were doing your job by the book and didn't give them any legitimate reasons they could use in court... well, you would probably win.
No, I keep my disability extremely private. Nobody outside of my immediate family knows. There is no way they would find out about it. Even the scope of the background check that they do is limited to criminal and credit only. They're not allowed to legally look into my health history. The background check form that I signed specifically says that the scope of the background check does not include health history.

I accepted a security position at a hospital in the psychiatric ward. I was terminated after three days. HR representative told me I didn't understand their clientele. I have my own ideas as to why I was fired, but in the end I was devastated, and haven't been able to find employment since then, 18 months. I understand where you're at, I've been at my lowest point the last couple months.

I did accept a part-time position today as a custodian at a nature preserve. I wish it was full-time, but at this point I'm happy to accept anything I can get. I'm still at a very low point, but this job will definitely help my mental state.

I wish you the best. I know how hard this is for you. Please stay on the forum and let us know how you're doing. It's something I should have done, but didn't.

I don't even think I've been there long enough to file for unemployment.
If you received a certain amount of wages, even while training not working, in the past year or 18 months, varies by state. Then you are eligible in either the state you worked or lived.

I've been told that there is no other site available so that my employment is being terminated.
If the reason they gave you "lack of work" is the same they reported to the state, they owe you compensation, but might not be much depending on your earnings.

They're not allowed to legally look into my health history.
True, but it's still routinely done, maybe not as part of an official government background check but medical records are available to employers online with the click of a few buttons, as are DMV records and insurance claims and gossip, wild guesses and other misinformation posted in error. One time I turned in an application, and a few minutes later I was called into the back for an interview and there was all my information the interviewer had pulled up across several computer screens.

I had a similar situation when I worked for a NGO that provides teachers to schools - I was told my contract wasn't being renewed, and when I asked why, they gave me a bogus reason (I proved that it was bogus), and the guy organising it said that they weren't giving me a placement at another school. Better in the long run, as I'm not suited to teaching in schools - some on the spectrum manage this, but I never could.

@Mattymatt I admire your resilience and positive attitude in the face of adversity.

If you received a certain amount of wages, even while training not working, in the past year or 18 months, varies by state. Then you are eligible in either the state you worked or lived.

If the reason they gave you "lack of work" is the same they reported to the state, they owe you compensation, but might not be much depending on your earnings.

True, but it's still routinely done, maybe not as part of an official government background check but medical records are available to employers online with the click of a few buttons, as are DMV records and insurance claims and gossip, wild guesses and other misinformation posted in error. One time I turned in an application, and a few minutes later I was called into the back for an interview and there was all my information the interviewer had pulled up across several computer screens.
The state where I live mandates sharing the background check information found with the job candidate. I saw a copy of the report ordered from a third party service (from the third party service website) and no medical history was on this report so I can be reasonably certain that Autism was not a factor. HIPAA laws are really strict!

Fired by telephone? I'm very sorry but WTH?!
Companies are starting to do this now because they're concerned that the terminated employee might go nuclear. In the opinion of the company, it's safer to terminate them where the terminated employee is as far from the premises as possible.

New Threads

Top Bottom