• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

To please or not to please

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
I wanted to share something my therapist told me in my last session to see if this is a behaviour other's can relate to. We had been discussing my reaction to difficult people and to stressors as well as difficulties with how to implement and interpret empathy.

For most of my adult life I've always instinctively tried to help people. But I do it to the point where I need help myself. I give until I'm empty and exhausted and feel broken.

My therapist interpreted my behaviour as "the fawn response" here's a excerpt from an article. Much like reading about the spectrum and realising the tics and traits I'd hidden for years weren't as abnormal as I'd assumed - seeing the fawn response written out in plain English and noticing how it mirrored my behaviours was a little daunting when I first read it:

The 'please' or 'fawn' response is an often overlooked survival mechanism to a traumatic situation, experience or circumstance. Nonetheless, the 'please' response is a prevalent one especially with complex trauma or CPTSD and is acted out as a result of the high-stress situations that have often been drawn out.

As any survival response; like flight, fight or freeze, a please or fawn response is to manage a state of danger or potential danger. The please response is the most thoughtful and complex response to deal with as it encompasses monitoring and feeling into other people's state of mind (often the aggressor) to anticipate a situation and respond by adapting and pleasing to evade confrontation or before a situation becomes aggravated.

It is also one of the most cumbersome and exhausting responses as it takes great resource to play through potential future scenarios.

A please response is not the same as empathy, and I think there is some confusion there. Healthy empathy is to be able to "feel" into other people's situations without losing your sense of self and the importance of your own needs. With a please or fawn response you have given up a sense of self, a sense of healthy identity and have taken on responsibilities that aren't yours to carry. It is a survival response made in a time of need, but in the long run you pay a hefty price for it.

I was a little dumbstruck when she began to describe this response. I had always assumed my helpful nature was a selfless act - at the same time I knew that it often felt bad, and provoked anxiety. This was because, in helping others, I was doing so at my own expense.

Similarly - every job I've taken is a far cry from what I want to do with my life. I have worked in customer service in every job. Every day spent helping others. High stress, poorly paid jobs to help others whilst taking from myself.

What I've noticed since being sober (day 102 now) is that living with a clear head is making the negative experiences less tolerable. A realisation that it's impractical to tolerate what I shouldn't have to anymore. Tics and traits are bubbling to the surface more readily and negative emotions feel a lot more intense. I believed that quitting substances was going to help alleviate anxiety and depression somewhat. I suppose I'd never considered that these substances had dulled the sharpness of negative feelings for a long time and now I have no means of hiding from them anymore.

Anyway - do you find you ever adopt the fawn response?

Ed

That is very interesting and very insightful. I will have to mull that over some and see how it applies to me.

Thanks for sharing it.

Not likely in my own case.

I'm just not one to quickly cave into another person's demands just to resolve a conflict. Though quite frankly I was paid to respond in such a way professionally for nearly twenty years as an underwriter and "enforcer" of corporate policy. Not a pattern of behavior for me to easily refrain from.

Though as an adult I recognize that I'm often forced to deal with "boundaries" that may dictate how much resistance I can manifest depending on the situation. I can say though that at the young age of 17, I vowed to myself not to be put on the spot in as much as is possible.

In terms of substance abuse, I've never done so as a means to escape my problems or ease my pain. I just tend to take it on the chin for better or worse.

First - congrats on the 102 days. That's a big deal, a great accomplishment. Yes, it does dull the emotional pains. But hiding those pains never made them go away and now you're having to deal with those. Don't give up. Never give up. I'm glad you're seeing someone for help.

The fawn response - not surprising to read. It's probably the most common response and is learned at early ages. I know I've done it over and over. An early age example: 4 year old whispering to her mom asking for a paper towel. Mom asks why. 4 year old quietly and secretively leads her mom by the hand to show her where the puppy just pee'd and she was going to clean it up before her dad sees it and goes into his rage (and it's HIS dog).
You quickly learn what sets someone off and do what you can to avoid it.

Insightful and yes that response has been my life, a life time in employment of care, the one putting others first in the hope of acceptance and inclusion, is there a technique to stop responding like this? I’m accountable for my actions and response to people and just continue to exhaust myself and destroy my mental health on a daily basis!

In the past, I've been pretty extreme with the fawn response - say anything and do anything to avoid confrontation. My wife and I call it being a "pleaser".

In learning to be more honest and learning to advocate for myself, I've learned that most of my actions are justifiable and acceptable - that I can say, "I did [this] for [that reason]" and people accept it. It helped me to start with small things and see that I've been avoiding conflict where there was none. From there, I've been able to move onto larger things.

There are still areas where I go into extreme conflict avoidance - political discussions is one.

Also, I missed the 102 days comment in your original post. Congratulations! It's a big accomplishment. Take it one day at a time and just do the next right thing. Looks like you have a lot of people here pulling for you.

I try to please people as well. I like for people to like me even if I'm not sure at times if pleasing them is what's best for me.

I've noticed people who appeared to be trying excessively to please the boss, and I was always kind of baffled by them. They were typically admins though so I thought it was just their job description or something. Never occurred to me that they were having some trauma response, probably because my trauma response is to check out.

I personally can not relate to this "fawn" response, but my wife (neurotypical as far as I know) responds as a "pleaser" all of the time.

New Threads

Top Bottom