• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Time slowing down.

Tony Ramirez

Single. True friend's.
V.I.P Member
When I was doing nothing, not going out or socializing time would fly by fast. Now that I am going out taking walks and fellowship at Church which started around April, events it seems time has slowed down.

Normally a month like May would have flew by already but it is still here on there is another week left. So people say the older you get and it seems people with Autism time goes faster could it be when you are bored doing nothing but the same thing time fly's but when you get out of your comfort zone time starts to slow down more.

I find that winter just dragged on where I am, and I'm still waiting for summer. Days have been cool and rainy and waiting for the sun to return full force is slow. Maybe it's my perception of it all, but it has been a long winter.

Winter flew by for me it was not until I got severely depressed in March started to take daily walks, then started to go to a new Church on Good Friday after 15 years of backsliding that the days started to drag and go slower.

I have no clue if this is based on anything real, but I've always thought that the speed of time is determined primarily by memory.

For example, sleep seems to be an instant because we can't remember it.

If in the past week, you only remember one day, it will seem to have gone fast.

When we look back at a year, the majority of it is lost and we think, "that went by fast!" because if you were to add up the amount of time remembered, you'd get much less than a year.

Contrarily, if you remembered every moment of a week, it would have seemed very long.

Therefore, time has slowed for you because you are now doing things which stick in your mind. Doing nothing is not something to be remembered and so the time vanishes. Constant events, such as socializing, form memories, forming time past, slowing your perception of time, and increasing your perception of your age, possibly.

I've always felt as I've been alive a very, very long time.

Your right again Fido. I went out and socialized more in April and May than I have done in the past 5 years of my life.

I do remember that when I worked - busy nights flew by while those nights nothing happened and start watching the clock seemed to drag on and on and on. I know I used to say it was a time warp night. (And 12 hours shifts - 13 in real time - made for some really long nights sometimes.)

I find that winter just dragged on where I am, and I'm still waiting for summer. Days have been cool and rainy and waiting for the sun to return full force is slow. Maybe it's my perception of it all, but it has been a long winter.

It's not just you. It's been that way here too. Temps well below average. Last weekend they forecasted 70-80 but in reality it was in the 40s and most nights have been frost. Too cold for caulk or paint to dry. It's been limiting and depressing. I'm still burning pellets at night, I'm usually done by the end of April. Today it did get in the 70s, really nice so I worked outside and mowed for the first time this year, but people are saying the cold air is coming back very soon. :(

But this winter has really gone by fast for me. Mostly because I haven't done much of anything besides the routine of work and back. Every weekend I feel like it was just yesterday that I watched Macgyver and listened to Science Fantastic. Nothing really memorable. As it started to get above freezing I started working on my summer wagon, so I've had more memorable experiences. Stiill have lots of things I want to accompish during the way too short summer season.

Time seems the same for me when I am doing much of nothing except staying at home doing what I want
and when I want. It just flies by. Gone. An hour nap seems like a minute.

Days that are busy and I am going somewhere or have deadlines to meet and occupied with people,
it seems time goes slower and by the end of the day I feel I've lived two of my doing much of nothing days.

When I'm at home, doing what I like or out doing what I like, time speeds up. When I'm stuck out somewhere I don't wanna be and doing something I don't want to do or doing stupid work, time slows down.

So watching TV makes time fly. Last year doing nothing but binge watching "Monk" made time go faster. Now I binge watch "Hawaii Five-O (Original)", "Star Trek TNG" and "Spongebob Squarepants" but go out Sunday morning, take afternoon walks and go out some evenings so time is going slower because I think about those events more then re-watching those shows I mentioned. Makes sense.

Okay according to all the pics I took I started to socialize on April 19th now currently June 2nd 44 days which seemed more like over 100 days. Okay then.

New Threads

Top Bottom