• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

IdahoRose

As you can probably tell, my major obsession right now is Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I feel like I need to vent really bad about this right now, so prepare for a novel-length post.

It all began on a bright, sunny day in February. Having developed a budding interest in Tim Burton/Johnny Depp films, I decided to watch the trailer for the upcoming Alice in Wonderland movie. I. Was blown. Away. I showed it to all my family members and my parents said it looked great and they wanted to see it. I kept watching the trailers over and over, and at least once a day I said, "Alice In Wonderland looks so awesome! I can't wait to see it!". On March 5th, opening day, my mom finally took me to see it. When it was over, she asked "Did you like it? Is it everything you dreamed of?" and I replied, "No, I didn't like it. I loved it." It's officially been over a month since I've seen it, but my passion for it is as strong as the day I first learned about it on that sunny February morning.

What is it that I love about Alice in Wonderland? The answer is, well, pretty much everything. I love the scenery, the costumes, the terminology and especially the characters. My mom keeps telling me how much I resemble Alice in both appearance and personality. Alice and I are even the same age and have similar names (mine's Alex). In my daydreams, I love to pretend that Alice and I are twin sisters. But that's a subject for a whole 'nother topic, which I'm planning on making later. My favorite character besides Alice is, of course, the Mad Hatter. My aunt complained that he seemed "too cartoony", but that's exactly why I love him. His moods are so mercurial - he can be sweet, scary or funny, but he is always entertaining. The Knave of Hearts is my 3rd favorite character. I have a crush on him. He's tall (7'6"), dark (evil nature, black hair & clothes) and handsome (Crispin Glover). The Red and White Queens were both very amusing. The Red Queen always made me laugh, and I found her to be more likeable than detestable. The White Queen is very sweet and reminded me of my mom. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum were pretty funny. I didn't really care for the animals of Wonderland, because I'm honestly not that much of an animal lover.

But even though AiW has held a special place in my heart since the fateful day I first learned about it, I've actually kept my obsession a semi-secret until recently. A large part of that was self-denial. I didn't want to have a narrow, intense interest typical of aspies - I was trying to make myself have a variety of casual movie interests so that I could have an easier time striking up conversations and "passing" as NT. I even tried becoming obsessed with Johnny Depp himself so that I could have a celebrity crush like so many NT women have. I was able to fool myself into thinking that I had "normal" interests, until...

... One day on WrongPlanet, a topic was made and it was called "What is your #1 special interest?" My immediate reaction was to start gushing - not about Johnny Depp, not about movies in general - but about Alice in Wonderland. I finally had to come to terms with the fact that I was developing a stereotypical aspie obsession. The signs were pretty obvious: I kept reading the Wikipedia and TV Tropes pages for AiW over and over, I was memorizing all the weird terminology and characters' "real names" (for example the Hatter's real name is Tarrant Hightopp), and I made frequent trips to fanfiction.net and deviantart to look at other peoples' AiW themed artwork/stories. So from that day forward, I have learned to accept that I will always have a "thing" that I'm fixated on, and at this point in time, that thing is Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

The end, thanks for letting me get that off my chest! Okay, now I want to hear what everybody else has to say about Alice in Wonderland. Or if you want, you can just tell me about your own movie obsessions.

Johnny Depp has been a longterm obsession of mine. I was very, very disappointed in Alice in Wonderland. :( I usually like his collaborations with Burton, too.

I was so obsessed with the musical Newsies for a few years that I got called down to the guidance counselors office at school to talk about it. I am not so fixated on it anymore, but it is still the happiest thing in the world to me to watch it. I was also very obsessed with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, like your AiW obsession it started with the trailer. Every time it would come on I'd run to the tv to watch it. I didn't like the last two movies as much so that kind of killed it but that was an obsession for a while, too.

My obsessions do tend to be movies. I am CRAZY about Remember Me at the moment, but I don't think it is an obsession, I think it might just be a normal favorite movie. I'm not sure if I have an obsession at the moment. It makes me sad, I miss having that one great thing in my life.

My obsessions do tend to be movies. I am CRAZY about Remember Me at the moment, but I don't think it is an obsession, I think it might just be a normal favorite movie. I'm not sure if I have an obsession at the moment. It makes me sad, I miss having that one great thing in my life.
I've been thinking a lot about my obsessions over the past few days and I've came to some conclusions.
I used to think I was obsessed with certain TV shows but then I noticed I wasn't actually obsessed with the TV shows but the characters in them and I was almost emotionally attached to them(I know that sounds pretty sad but so much solitary can make you a bit weird).
I'm currently obsessed with a couple of TV characters and I think to an extent addicted to watching them. Not as bad as I used to be where I'd basically just be depressed on season breaks and not see any point to my life but yeah.
Is anyone else similar?
I heard LG say her obsession with a League of Their Own is 'cause of the characters.
I wish I was obsessed with a movie because then there's no season breaks.
On season breaks I just watch the old TV shows over and over again.
I've not watched Alice in Wonderland yet 'cause I'm still a bit paranoid about people from my school being at the cinema(I don't see popular films there 'cause I get paranoid that someone from my school will be there and can't focus). I might go to the cinema tomorrow though and watch it.
EMZ=]

I am probably less obsessed with TV show characters than regular people.

I usually like a show for one or two seasons, then I start to lose interest when what starts out as a good show turns into a soap opera (think "Heroes"). Or when the plot gets excessively convoluted and dragged out, when mysteries and riddles are created to get viewers tuning in week after week but they never get resolved (think "Lost"). Or when it descends into a series of conspiracy theories within conspiracy theories within conspiracy theories, each becoming more ridiculous than the last, as the X-Files did.

I actually held out real hope for "House", but even that show is starting to become a soap opera. But I still admire and appreciate how the writers for the show manage to maintain that fine balance, having the audience not know whether to love or hate the lead character.

I've been thinking a lot about my obsessions over the past few days and I've came to some conclusions.
I used to think I was obsessed with certain TV shows but then I noticed I wasn't actually obsessed with the TV shows but the characters in them and I was almost emotionally attached to them(I know that sounds pretty sad but so much solitary can make you a bit weird).
I'm currently obsessed with a couple of TV characters and I think to an extent addicted to watching them. Not as bad as I used to be where I'd basically just be depressed on season breaks and not see any point to my life but yeah.
Is anyone else similar?
I heard LG say her obsession with a League of Their Own is 'cause of the characters.
I wish I was obsessed with a movie because then there's no season breaks.
On season breaks I just watch the old TV shows over and over again.
I've not watched Alice in Wonderland yet 'cause I'm still a bit paranoid about people from my school being at the cinema(I don't see popular films there 'cause I get paranoid that someone from my school will be there and can't focus). I might go to the cinema tomorrow though and watch it.
EMZ=]

I'm the same way as you, Emor. Fictional characters have always been the primary focus of my obsessions. Even the heart of my AiW obsession revolves around the (human) characters, especially the Mad Hatter and Alice herself. Y'know what? I think this subject would make for a good topic. :)

First time I heard about the film I thought it was definitely a mustsee. And I spoke about it for months. but I have not yet had a chance to see it.Looks like some beautiful visuals.

Is anyone else similar?

I am. I have been obsessed with Mickey Mouse for two and a half years straight. Before that I was obsessed with Simba from The Lion King, then Thomas O' Malley from The Aristocats, then the Great Prince of the Forest from Bambi (& Bambi 2), and now Mickey. I got to know Mickey through his old cartoons and the show House of Mouse, and I actually do think I'm also obsessed with that show, as well as any other show Mickey is in. It was cancelled so I watch it on YouTube now instead, and I'm always screencapping the Mickey shots.
I want to go to Disneyland someday and I'm much more interested in character hunting than I am in the rides and attractions (although there are some things I really want to see).

New Threads

Top Bottom