• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thunderstorms

I do not see a thunderstorm as chaos, I see it as a beautiful show of nature. A rare moment to truly be in awe, and be humbled. You can hide very easily in a thunderstorm, as everyone else is creating chaos and is distracted.
As far as the power going out, it would be a great comfort to be prepared. If you have (not one, but several) good flashlights around, and or a decent lantern ( battery powered), and any other provisions you need, it becomes quite comforting and empowering. I recommend some snacks as well, and maybe come up with some flashlight games.
Personally, I love to go out and go running around in them. When do you ever hear about some idiot getting killed who was just out running around in bad weather for no reason?
Both the force, and statistics are with you, so don't worry too much.

Most of the time I love storms especially if I have time to sit by my log fire by candlelight. The only type of storm I don't like would be tornadoes but thankfully we very rarely have them in Scotland and they are usually very weak. It must be pretty stressful living in some parts of the world where there is regularly extreme weather.

It's bee pretty stormy lately where I live, too. A couple of weeks ago one of the storms was going north of us, but suddenly shifted and headed straight for us, and we got an immediate tornado warning. It was so bad outside that we went to the basement. I don't mind thunderstorms... it's tornadoes I hate. I was hoping to be safer from tornado threats after moving but I guess I'm not.

I don't like storms. We've also been having a lot of them lately. I am terrifed of them. Our old house flooded three different times during the time we lived there because of that....I am afraid of rain and storms.

Rain: good.
Wind: good.
All that other stuff: supremely bad.
Well, okay, rain bad right now because we've had plenty.

Going to sleep during a thunderstorm is so lovely. Even that is a comforting nature sound for me.

I love storms, especially at night. I just find them really soothing. We've had a lot of bad ones recently though. I got caught driving in one a couple days ago and it was scary! I live in a valley so storms don't usually wreak havoc, but the city north of me still has people without power after almost a week.

There's currently a severe thunderstorm raging on outside my house: near-black clouds, lightning, thunder, the whole package.

After a good ten minutes of hiding in our (windowless) bathroom when I thought a tornado was about to spawn outside, I decided to start hiding behind my computer and cautiously watch the storm from through the window instead. I know I already posted a thread today, but I thought this would be fitting.

How do you and thunderstorms mix? Not like a heavy rainstorm, but an all-out constant lightning and thunder, dark clouds, wind, hail, etc. storm, or whenever the radio/TV issues a "severe thunderstorm warning".

I, for one, get really, really anxious when it comes to storms like this and often grab one of our cats and hide in our bathroom and monitor the local weather non-stop on my tablet until it blows over. Saying that I'm terrified of lightning would be an understatement; it's mostly the possibility of getting struck. And the thunder, especially when it's extremely loud and sudden, makes me jump probably twenty feet. However, I like a good rain every once in a while (I actually prefer days when it's raining because sunny days are more likely to be hot days), as long as it's not flooding the local communities and accompanied by the aforementioned thunder and lightning. Unfortunately, for me, this is probably the fifth thunderstorm we've had in a row lately... and each new only seems to get worse.

On a related note, how about power-outages? This specific storm knocked the power out for a full five seconds (the horror!) earlier and I'm still feeling on edge; the storm hasn't ended, after all. It could always happen again. When there's a complete, several-hours-long power outage though, it usually leaves me extremely anxious, irritable, and just plain jumpy. Don't know why, it's just that thick, dizzying blackness. I cannot stand that disoriented, blind feeling you get when it's pitch black like that. I mean, if the power cuts out during the day and the Sun is out, then I normally don't mind, but when the Sun goes down and the power still isn't on... that's when I begin to panic. I feel like that may be an ASD thing though because, even in the dead of night, my NT parents are totally chill with it.

Enough said, I think. Thoughts?

1200px-Thunderstorm_over_Corfu.jpg

An accurate representation of what we're dealing with... except darker because it's 9pm.

Last edited:
Yeah.
The power went off here, too.
Rain
Thunder

I was in a house that got struck by lightning once.
Blew a hole in the wall, fried the sound system.

Still raining, at the moment.

Darkness? I keep a flashlight in my pocket
all the time anyway.

I actually like it Spotty, it's like the greatest light and sound show ever. Don't hide, and I'll often go out on the verandah to listen or watch for awhile, but not for too long. Once the wind was so strong that it pushed the car into the gate, so I ran down and pulled the parking brake to keep it from rolling any further.
There are sometimes power failures of a few seconds where I am, but I don't mind them. Know where the candles and flashlights are and have a wood stove if it happens when it's cold. Once lived for two weeks without heat or power during an ice storm, so I've been prepared ever since. Actually like the quiet and lack of light and usually end up reading, sewing or drawing by oil lantern or candlelight.

Last edited:
We had the biggest thunderstorm I've ever experienced last night. Crashes of thunder right overhead that I swear were shaking the whole building. Lightning so constant it might as well have been daytime. It was epic, apart from my satellite internet not working.

Not sure why, but I love thunderstorms. I guess because the whole thing is an experience - thunder is not a surprise during a thunderstorm - whereas sirens, fireworks, gunshots, stuff like that are just sudden, startling, and uninvited noises disturbing the peace and relative silence.

Love thunderstorms! Loud cracks scare the crap out of me and I get surprisingly tense with long power outages, though I like the dark, I feel helpless in some ways. But, the storms themselves seem to have a strange majesty to them.

I hate bad weather, period. We do NOT mix, never have. Can't go anywhere and can't sleep. Power might go out at any moment so even being home is not optimal - and we live in the INTERNET AGE. Rain might cause flooding, not to mention leaks; I have an issue with my window where it starts leaking whenever it's rained too much. Not good. Not to mention the fact that sudden thunderclaps freak the crap out of me. What about being caught off guard outside during a storm? I'm scared of being struck to death by lightning; I believe in Murphy's Law and I really don't want to...so there we go. Storms suck.

Good news, everybody! Or, in the case of you storm-lovers out there, bad news I guess. Anyway, the storm is over!
The amount of rain clocked in at about two inches in the matter of about thirty minutes, a whole lot less than I was expecting.

I love a good thunderstorm. Of course as long as lightning doesn't start any fires nearby. I can anticipate them coming, so they aren't necessarily intrusive to me like the unwanted sounds of my neighbors.

Though I do recall how a former g/f's daughter was terrified of thunderstorms. That was kind of sad. She'd crawl under the beds or hide in closets...and would often wet herself. The crack of thunder would just unglue the poor thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom