• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thread about emotional intelligence

Oddcampr8292

lets say you believed the world was responsible for you not accomplishing any great feat. Wouldnt accomplishing a great feat make you feel free from what you perceive to be "shackles" the world has placed on you?

If so, wouldn't accomplishing that great feat make you smarter through making you happier?

What a neat idea.
I guess it would make you feel smarter without making you smarter. You'd feel better & usually feeling well translates to doing well, to some extent.

It might and it might not. Olympic athletes come to mind, they have that moment of glory and afterwards nothing they accomplish comes close to that perceived pinnacle. Some may do well in business afterward. Some teach, some compete again.
Yet they may not ever feel as accomplished as that moment when they won. Others might continue onward and do other things as accomplished, it depends really on what you consider success and what you strive for in life.

Last edited:
Success is a open- ended word. What you find successful may not equate to my idea of success. l may accomplish something remarkable to the average person, but l also may understand that l felt l could do it if l really tried, so l may not place much emphasis on accomplishment. The point is: some need status, some need social relationships, some need it all to feel successful. My day really feels like success if l find a perfect place for coffee despite Covid.

All things are relative. One can say the world is to blame for a failure or one can say that oneself is to blame. Both perspectives are equally toxic. Both lead to hate, directed outward, or inward.

If you take the blame out of the equation then it becomes nobody's fault. With hate not filling the available emotional space and obstructing one's thought processes, one can begin to progress and maybe accomplish something.

The journey to accomplish the feat would make you smarter. As you must learn what is needed to accomplish it. As for the feat itself making you happy. I'll put it this way. I was in the scrapping business as a part time helper taking apart and loading old AC units. During that time I tore apart 900 units. Of every size imaginable by myself. I've also traveled almost 3,000 miles combined over my life. Others have done more. Great feats in hindsight after they happened. In the moment it's more work and a long car ride.
Amazing feats are accomplished every day. Then ignored. It has to matter to the one doing the feat.

ezbt8o6ucae1nmp.jpg

Considering the idea of emotional intelligence this picture speaks to me. In a manner of speaking.

But I will say I have noticed a trend in people. As emotions rise, intelligence falls.

It's the anticipation/build-up of the moment that's important, rather than the moment itself. The moment is a fleeting sensation, gone in a second, followed by a anticlimax and the need for another such moment, and its anticipation, to take its place.

lets say you believed the world was responsible for you not accomplishing any great feat. Wouldnt accomplishing a great feat make you feel free from what you perceive to be "shackles" the world has placed on you?
- yes. IF you felt the world was responsible for not accomplishing something and you finally accomplish it WOULD make you feel free of those shackles.
But I can't blame the world - I put the shackles on myself, and some days the great feat I might accomplish would be as simple as stepping outside. I consider becoming a nurse and raising 4 children a great feat. But anything I consider a great feat would be up to me, not the world. Sometimes the world might interfere, making it more difficult, but it's still up to me. Like if someone knocks down the blocks you're stacking, it's up to you to start over or walk away. And that depends on your determination.

If so, wouldn't accomplishing that great feat make you smarter through making you happier?
- I think it'd make you feel happier. Depending on the feat, you may feel smarter, stronger, braver, or whatever goes along. I don't really think happier makes you feel these things, it's the accomplishment that would make you feel both emotions.

It's the anticipation/build-up of the moment that's important, rather than the moment itself. The moment is a fleeting sensation, gone in a second, followed by a anticlimax and the need for another such moment, and its anticipation, to take its place.
I agree, but it depends on the accomplishment/feat. What comes to mind is raising my kids - was ongoing and the joy in that accomplishment is also ongoing. :)
Another thing that comes to mind is accomplishing something that's difficult for an individual. Like me getting out of my car when traveling. I feel like I've accomplished a feat, but not make me want to move further, it's going to be just as much an accomplishment if I do it again.

Anticipation is a way to experience something without waiting for it to happen. Unfortunately, you can anticipate bad things as easily as good.

I think it depends on what works for you. What you believe.

If sticking it to the man, naysayers and haters is going to give you a boost, change your self perception and feel like an achievement, then yes, you'll feel happier.
(about your idea of self)

If success boosts confidence, maybe you'll be more willing to try and succeed again,
and again, and again.
Have you gotten smarter?
Or has your belief in your abilities changed?

Last edited:
If it's mentally wired, based by the construction and inability in some area, that may not fix how you can feel, and more so cannot fix how you are able to feel. Also, if the root cause is different, and you are using success to cope with it, it won't fix it very much/long term/effectively.

Any accomplishment makes someone better, not necessarily smarter, but more effective and possibly hardworking. They found some use that functions for the smarts that were already there, so, more effective, efficient, and motivated. They exceeded the limit they thought they had, once.

If it's a constant success trail, then you can say there is really not chance, it's for sure about working, learning and changing. A winner is more so defined by multiple wins. A smarter person, is that really a thing? If it can be, then it's about learning and doing things differently. Growing, decisions with better outcomes. Becoming wiser in their life, dealing with their issues better and with others better. But if they truly value success, as opposed to people telling them that it would make them smarter, then pursuing it can be smarter to do.

The motives matter. The way people deal with how the world treats them. How they work and how much they know themselves. Do they make bad choices, or good ones? Are they influenced and trying to prove themselves to others or to themselves?

This is also about how they manage to cope mentally with issues, it's not just about smarts. Like a drunkard has an issue that may be genetic, i cant be compared because the pull towards the alcohol i have isn't equal, and my addiction is inexistent.

If they need help, how and where they find it? Some people are lacking motivation to live, and that may make them decide things that hijacks their life. Can you say they aren't smart? They're just not where they can actually do what they can to help themselves. It is indeed a loss of emotional intelligence but only perceived. We know that depression can be cured, especially if not chronic or from birth, or where it comes in periods of time. So that intelligence is there but awaits the mental disposition to be able to happen and set back in.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom