• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Those of you with young children, some advice please

How do you cope with the noise your children make?

Mine are 8, 7 and 2 and make ALOT of noise...

Lots of screeching, stamping, arguing... even their talking gets on my nerves, as sometimes it just seems extra loud.

It makes me so agitated and I end up isolating myself in my bedroom with earphones in (if my
partner is home to take care of them), breaking down in tears or just shouting at them to be quiet... which never works...

Any advice on how to manage this?

Just a suggestion but I find ear plugs very useful, the wax ones I don't like the foam type.

If I don't have plugs handy and it's kicking off, I will stand in front of them with my fingers in my ears so they can clearly see I'm there, however unwilling to engage with them until the noise is reduced. Once the tantrums have died down I will talk to them calmly and quietly, if they start ranting again the fingers go back in the ears until they calm again. If I shout at them, they shout back and things descend further.

It's not a fool proof plan however, and there are often times when my wife has to take over so I can disappear into another room like you, to put headphones etc in, and have time by myself to recuperate.

My daughter used to slam her bedroom door very hard which jarred me, so I took the handle off and catch out. I lined the frame with sponge draft excluder so now she can slam the door with all her might, and it is totally silent and there are no vibrations reverberating. LOL
I wanted to take the door off the hinges but my wife thought I was going too far, so this was a compromise.

Just a suggestion but I find ear plugs very useful, the wax ones I don't like the foam type.

If I don't have plugs handy and it's kicking off, I will stand in front of them with my fingers in my ears so they can clearly see I'm there, however unwilling to engage with them until the noise is reduced. Once the tantrums have died down I will talk to them calmly and quietly, if they start ranting again the fingers go back in the ears until they calm again. If I shout at them, they shout back and things descend further.

It's not a fool proof plan however, and there are often times when my wife has to take over so I can disappear into another room like you, to put headphones etc in, and have time by myself to recuperate.

My daughter used to slam her bedroom door very hard which jarred me, so I took the handle off and catch out. I lined the frame with sponge draft excluder so now she can slam the door with all her might, and it is totally silent and there are no vibrations reverberating. LOL
I wanted to take the door off the hinges but my wife thought I was going too far, so this was a compromise.

Thankyou, I'll try the earplugs... and I think I will take my daughters door off, she's a slammer too lol.

"Boots Pharmaceuticals Muffle Wax Earplugs effectively reduce harmful or irritating noise and they mould to fit the shape of the ear"

These are the ones I use they work very well. They are quite big so break or cut each one in half and that's as big as they need to be. Plus they will last twice as long!

Before you take any doors off try a roll foam draught excluder. It's great stuff in your arsenal again slammers. It keeps the heating bills down too, and in the event of a fire (which I hope you never experience) will confine smoke in a room for longer due to the tight seal on the door. Available in any DIY shop.

Good luck with it all, I can really empathise with what you describe.

Oh goodness, mine are very similar ages as yours. Let's see, I find myself telling (yelling? Yeah, I know that defeats the purpose) to be quiet every 10 minutes. When the baby is down for a nap, I still have them go to their rooms for mandatory quiet time while I recover. I'm not much help because by mid day, I'm a mess. School helps a lot with that. When my husband comes home, I can usually have a break. I think ear plugs would aggravate me.

Oh goodness, mine are very similar ages as yours. Let's see, I find myself telling (yelling? Yeah, I know that defeats the purpose) to be quiet every 10 minutes. When the baby is down for a nap, I still have them go to their rooms for mandatory quiet time while I recover. I'm not much help because by mid day, I'm a mess. School helps a lot with that. When my husband comes home, I can usually have a break. I think ear plugs would aggravate me.

Yep, it doesn't take long for me to become a wreck! Same here, when the older ones are at school and I just have the little one here its not so bad, unless he's having a bad day and then just him alone can be too much.

I'm hoping the ear plugs will be helpful, I wear earphones alot so used to having something in my ears

My kids are loud and My autistic son is very sensitive to my daughter's screaming. He starts screaming himself when she does and runs to the bedroom and slams the door. The funny thing is that he is not sensitive to his own screaming. When looking for hearing protection, look for the NRR number. NRR stands for noise reduction rating. The higher the NRR, the more decibels of noise the plugs mitigate.

That's always been a curse to me. My sensitivity to sounds...especially both high and low pitched sudden noises. A lifetime of being annoyed and uncomfortable...and always suffering in silence realizing that it's no big deal to most everyone around me.

Every year I take a long look at those Bose Noise-Cancelling headphones and sigh. Maybe some day. But then if I buy the damn things I may never take them off. :p

The over-the-ear headphones made for shooters work better than the earplugs and are more comfortable. Also a lot cheaper than the Bose headphones.

The over-the-ear headphones made for shooters work better than the earplugs and are more comfortable. Also a lot cheaper than the Bose headphones.
i think your refering to ear defenders,yes they are very cheap i used to buy peltor optime III neckband ear defenders that fitted over my padded helmet but i go to a shop called the tool box in trafford park and get a similar generic pair of ear defenders for around £6! they work just as well.

the only thing i would advise is not to use earplugs or ear defenders constantly, they add to sensitive hearing and can make tinnitus worse.

New Threads

Top Bottom