• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This time of year is lonely

Librarian77

My Husband is on his second work night out for Christmas. I haven't had one as I only do temp jobs if I work at all. I don't send any cards as I don't have any friends. It's hard not to feel left out at this time of year. Does anyone else recognise how I'm feeling? It seems harder to be autistic at this time of year. The roads and shops are busier too which makes me anxious. I feel under a lot of pressure.

I haven't received a single Christmas card this year. I'm not really alone, but it does sometimes feel lonely. The stores scare me, I can't go in Barnes and Noble during December. I only have a little bit of family I talk to and a few friends, two of whom do not celebrate Christmas, so that takes off some pressure for me. It's still not a really autistic friendly time of year, though. I prefer simple made up holidays, like Cookie Day, Tomato Planting Day, Clean the Basement Day. Those are the good holidays. I try to keep that in mind while feeling sad about my lack of cards. There is the day after Christmas. Sometimes called Boxing Day(I think) I refer to it as Yea! It's Finally Over Day!!!!
Oh, welcome to the forum!! It's a pretty good place with lots of nicer and much smarter people than me.

I haven't received a single Christmas card this year. I'm not really alone, but it does sometimes feel lonely. The stores scare me, I can't go in Barnes and Noble during December. I only have a little bit of family I talk to and a few friends, two of whom do not celebrate Christmas, so that takes off some pressure for me. It's still not a really autistic friendly time of year, though. I prefer simple made up holidays, like Cookie Day, Tomato Planting Day, Clean the Basement Day. Those are the good holidays. I try to keep that in mind while feeling sad about my lack of cards. There is the day after Christmas. Sometimes called Boxing Day(I think) I refer to it as Yea! It's Finally Over Day!!!!
Oh, welcome to the forum!! It's a pretty good place with lots of nicer and much smarter people than me.
I'm not completely alone either but I do get lonely. I love boxing day too! What a relief to hear that someone else does too. New year means nothing to me.
I like sit in silence and play 100 games of solitaire in my pyjamas days or bleach and disinfect the house days ha ha.
Perhaps some of the people on here are smarter and nicer than you but you seem smart and nice too ♥️

I prefer simple made up holidays, like Cookie Day, Tomato Planting Day, Clean the Basement Day. Those are the good holidays. I try to keep that in mind while feeling sad about my lack of cards. There is the day after Christmas. Sometimes called Boxing Day(I think) I refer to it as Yea! It's Finally Over Day!!!!

I cannot express how much I relate to this.:D

I got four cards But we got a few more when my mother was alive,didn't think I'd get any ,I never see any of my mothers family -don't have any friends
A lot of people don't send them now -i only do it because I don't want to be called unsociable .
I just want Christmas day to end and Boxing Day and New Year, then my soap opera's will be back on tv.
I've been watching Quincy ME instead and I watched a TV movie Christmas without snow .
And I had a fix of small and furry prairie dogs, squirrel rescuing it's baby and a BBC documentary walk on the wild side -A black heron with an imagined voice saying nighttime daytime ,playing the nighttime daytime game,A spoonbill so no I've got an Xbox .
Tried to sleep which is always a fight fed the cats discovered the cat which is my Avatar sleeping in the recycling bin which is waiting to be emptied,I realised she was sitting on paper how could I not realise

I'm starting to feel like I'm over Christmas. I LOVE giving presents and used to use Christmas as an excuse to do so but now it just seems forced and a burden to give stuff to people I don't really want to give things to, like going through the motions, fake. I've decided to do away with Christmas next year and just give presents whenever I feel like it. I'm going to warn my friends and family so they won't feel like they have to reciprocate because I like giving way more than getting.

I'm starting to feel like I'm over Christmas. I LOVE giving presents and used to use Christmas as an excuse to do so but now it just seems forced and a burden to give stuff to people I don't really want to give things to, like going through the motions, fake. I've decided to do away with Christmas next year and just give presents whenever I feel like it. I'm going to warn my friends and family so they won't feel like they have to reciprocate because I like giving way more than getting.

Welcome to our world :)

It may be lonely being alone, but the thought of people roaming around the house, clinking and clattering and stimulating and all--------no thanks.

That may be bad. In a way, it's like the autism or non-NT has won. But , as the guy in SnowWalker said: "We were dead when we hit the ground!"

Great movie, by the way.

It may be lonely being alone, but the thought of people roaming around the house, clinking and clattering and stimulating and all--------no thanks.

That may be bad. In a way, it's like the autism or non-NT has won. But , as the guy in SnowWalker said: "We were dead when we hit the ground!"

Great movie, by the way.
I'm missing out on all that people roaming, clinking and clattering two houses down. Tried last year and for the 10 to 15 minutes I was miserable. Right now I'm wondering if all those people over there are trying to do penance for some horrible crimes. Why would people want to be crammed into a house that snug with kids darting back and forth? Not being there is the only sensible thing anyone could do. And the germs! Even my boyfriend stayed home.

I'm missing out on all that people roaming, clinking and clattering two houses down. Tried last year and for the 10 to 15 minutes I was miserable. Right now I'm wondering if all those people over there are trying to do penance for some horrible crimes. Why would people want to be crammed into a house that snug with kids darting back and forth? Not being there is the only sensible thing anyone could do. And the germs! Even my boyfriend stayed home.
When I was young, I liked the family part of it. I still do. I love my family! But the sad reality is that I cannot handle all the commotion anymore. I love it when they are all at my brother's or some place I can go for a little bit and leave when I need to. But when they used to come to Big House? SHUDDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was young, I liked the family part of it. I still do. I love my family! But the sad reality is that I cannot handle all the commotion anymore. I love it when they are all at my brother's or some place I can go for a little bit and leave when I need to. But when they used to come to Big House? SHUDDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I was a kid my sister, a cousin, and me used to find a corner to hide in. When we'd want more food, it was always sorta a finger food selection, we'd sneak into the hall and figure out where the two uncles we most wanted to avoid were. If things seemed clear we'd dart in, load our plates, then dart back to our corner.

The only thing I used to love about Christmas was being off school which I hated with a passion and receiving presents related to my special interest (I barely get anything as an adult). As an adult however I prefer spending the time alone, it gives me a break, but Christmas Day doesn't mean anything to me anyway, well apart from remembering people who have died that I used to see at Christmas when I was younger like my Nan and Grandad for instance. Anyway it's mainly about marketing these days which unlike most people I ignore and it's all over before it really starts, and all that build up was for what exactly? The only reason being alone is an issue for many people is because it's constantly drummed into everyone that you should be enjoying yourself with all your family in a traditional way, you've only got to turn on the TV and the brainwashing is there in your face. Yet there's more break ups and issues over Christmas than any other time of the year, then after often getting paid early and with the added expenses people are often completely spent out and sometimes even in debt once it's all over, then they have to go through a long, cold, bleak and very depressing January with barely any money. In fact January and even sometimes February are probably the worst time of year for depression and also suicide.

Oh and I almost forgot, Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas lol!

Last edited:
Christmas had a lot of good emotions with it when it was just me and my parents and cat.
Cooking all day with Mom.
Opening presents.
Decorating.

We never had company for Christmas.
I couldn't have tolerated that.
It was a quiet connection affair for just the three of us.
Mom used to get so many Christmas cards I would hang them around decorations in the living room.

Now I might get one or two.
The happy emotions are gone.
I still decorate, but, it has no meaning to me.
Living with the original Grinch takes the fun away.
I have to endure an hour drive to get to a theme park that is so full of people and noise it gives me sensory overload, and eat Christmas dinner at this place with a hundred people around me I don't know.
Real fun.
But, that's what the Grinch wants.

Christmas had a lot of good emotions with it when it was just me and my parents and cat.
Cooking all day with Mom.
Opening presents.
Decorating.

We never had company for Christmas.
I couldn't have tolerated that.
It was a quiet connection affair for just the three of us.
Mom used to get so many Christmas cards I would hang them around decorations in the living room.

Now I might get one or two.
The happy emotions are gone.
I still decorate, but, it has no meaning to me.
Living with the original Grinch takes the fun away.
I have to endure an hour drive to get to a theme park that is so full of people and noise it gives me sensory overload, and eat Christmas dinner at this place with a hundred people around me I don't know.
Real fun.
But, that's what the Grinch wants.
There is a talk show in the UK called loose women today it was about faking Christmas I think you would've enjoyed it it's a pity you can't see it in the US

I like that I get a break from work, but otherwise I don't really 'do' Christmas, just like any other day really. All the commercial hype drives me mad - especially when it starts in October - by the time Christmas arrives I've had enough of it and look forward to things getting back to normal.

The only thing I used to love about Christmas was being off school which I hated with a passion and receiving presents related to my special interest (I barely get anything as an adult). As an adult however I prefer spending the time alone, it gives me a break, but Christmas Day doesn't mean anything to me anyway, well apart from remembering people who have died that I used to see at Christmas when I was younger like my Nan and Grandad for instance. Anyway it's mainly about marketing these days which unlike most people I ignore and it's all over before it really starts, and all that build up was for what exactly? The only reason being alone is an issue for many people is because it's constantly drummed into everyone that you should be enjoying yourself with all your family in a traditional way, you've only got to turn on the TV and the brainwashing is there in your face. Yet there's more break ups and issues over Christmas than any other time of the year, then after often getting paid early and with the added expenses people are often completely spent out and sometimes even in debt once it's all over, then they have to go through a long, cold, bleak and very depressing January with barely any money. In fact January and even sometimes February are probably the worst time of year for depression and also suicide.

Oh and I almost forgot, Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas lol!

Based on your two previous posts, I think you're my Christmas soulmate. I feel absolutely the same about Christmas, and it annoys me that everyone around me ascribes so much importance to it. For the past 3 years I've tried to go out of my way to avoid Christmas, I like to travel around Christmas because most people will be at home end it's not so busy. My favourite Christmas so far I spent on a greyhound from Ohio to SF. For two days I barely needed to talk to anyone, no one would call, and I had an excuse to not call anyone cause of the poor reception. Would highly recommend it to anyone who likes road trips. Plus you don't need much money to get away.

IMG_0147.PNG
IMG_0232.JPG
And a merry Christmas

My Husband is on his second work night out for Christmas. I haven't had one as I only do temp jobs if I work at all. I don't send any cards as I don't have any friends. It's hard not to feel left out at this time of year. Does anyone else recognise how I'm feeling? It seems harder to be autistic at this time of year. The roads and shops are busier too which makes me anxious. I feel under a lot of pressure.

You're not alone. I hate this time of year and I feel better once it is all over with. At least you have someone special in your life and you're not alone. Think of the good that you have going for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom