• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things you are not good at?

Although I've attended more than one course in basic first aid I can't remember how to do the recovery position. Yet I have no trouble remembering how to wire a three-pin plug, despite probably having had fewer hours of instruction in that.

I did 18 months volunteering with a first aid organisation and some care work.
I'm not very tall, or strong.

I found the knee was the key to roll an 18 stone unconscious drunk into three quarters prone position.
(use theirs, not yours :) )

Once their arm closest to you is tucked in along side their body.
you can use downward pressure on their shoulder/upper arm and their bent knee to gently roll the body toward you.
- their body did all of the work, not your back :)
...that's how we were trained back in the day, haven't checked if things have been updated since then.

I foolishly at 18 decided to enrol on nursing, it was not a vocation, my family thought it was a good job and I had been on the dole.
I got bossed around by student nurses.
Staff didn't like me.
Rude comments.
Patient complaints.
Lack of common sense.
Eventually asked to leave.

full
(There are weird girls [with no sense of aesthetics :p] out there...)

I agree.

because of how I unattractive I appear to them as well as severely awkward,I feel like I have.
Then, you missed the point of my previous post.
There are womenfolk who are less-concerned about looks, or even more inclined toward yours.
(Remember: your ancestor, who looked like you, got a date...! ;))

Last edited:
Many things. Of those, job interviews are probably the absolute worst and always have been.

"Soooo, tell me about yourself".

(5 minutes later....)
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
I hate this question so much. I can answer questions, but that is not a question. There's nothing to answer. What do I say? What don't I say?

The trick here, I think, is to give a little background about yourself that is relevant to the job. Where you went to school, any relevant education, degrees, or job experience, that sort of thing. Then maybe add a few hobbies and unrelated talents to humanize yourself and maybe endear yourself (the interviewer may have similar interests).

I found the knee was the key to roll an 18 stone unconscious drunk into three quarters prone position.
(use theirs, not yours :) )

Once their arm closest to you is tucked in along side their body.
you can use downward pressure on their shoulder/upper arm and their bent knee to gently roll the body toward you.
What I need is a decent mnemonic to remember which order to move the patients' limbs. I have one for wiring a 3-pin plug: blue on the left, brown on the right and any other colour in the middle.

I can't race nitro radio control cars very well. I can race regional kart races okay. But radio control cars, no. I asked the grocery if today was Halloween. He said no it is tomorrow. So I put the candy bowl back inside and will try again tomorrow. I should get credit for realizing it is Friday for crimminy's sake.

My Skeleton is ready. Where I live the kids are Mexican-American. So here is my sign:

Attachments

• Holoween.png
    Holoween.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
Others for me (besides social instinct & face-blindness):
  • whistling,
  • chess,
  • typing,
  • swimming &
  • wheelies (on my bikes/trike)
I also have a blind spot regarding chess. Although I've learnt all the moves (including castling and en passant) I just can't seem to think strategically. I particularly wish I played the game well enough to appreciate all the chess-related metaphors that feature heavily in news articles about Garry Kasparov's political activism.

On a lighter note, it has occurred to me that the vocabulary of chess is replete with double entendres. The Carry On team missed a trick there!

Imagined sample dialogue...

Barbara Windsor: That's the Russian grandmaster Boris Getemoff - taught me everything I know about mating patterns!
Frankie Howerd: Oo-er!

Joan Sims: I am the Bulgarian ruling ladies champion Ivona Legova. I have conquered Europe with my two powerful gambits.
Sid James: Is that what you call them?!

Charles Hawtry: Ooh I say! I've got my pawn to the end of the board so it becomes a queen!
Kenneth Williams: Yes, you like surrounding yourself with queens, don't you?

Hattie Jacques: And just what are you doing down there in the corner of the board, young man?
Bernard Bresslaw: I was only en passant!

People have told me that the best way to improve my chess is to play it online but as I spend my day job staring at a screen that doesn't appeal. I wonder if there are (or were pre-pandemic) residential courses in chess? A country house retreat with 1-to-1 tuition sounds ideal.

Last edited:
I hate this question so much. I can answer questions, but that is not a question. There's nothing to answer. What do I say? What don't I say?

The trick here, I think, is to give a little background about yourself that is relevant to the job. Where you went to school, any relevant education, degrees, or job experience, that sort of thing. Then maybe add a few hobbies and unrelated talents to humanize yourself and maybe endear yourself (the interviewer may have similar interests).

That's true and it's really the best way to deal with that particular forced social situation. I've considered that as well in the past, but have still on several occasions failed at interviews. I also think about the possibility during the interview process, about how little they actually care about you as a person, and more about how well you will assimilate into the company culture. While that may be only natural, considering you are there to be productive for them and a large part of that is for the interviewer to quickly assess whether you will be capable of playing nice with others (however that may be uniquely defined by the prospective employer), it just feels so fake. So that also may be a contributing factor to freezing up as well when asked such a personal question in it's most general sense.

In a brutal sense, it depends on the emotional health of the company and hiring person. I have seen really weird stuff at dysfunctional companies. Hiring only on credentials, despite the person's obvious incompetence. My current company found me on linkedin and hired me in the first 20 minutes. When I was at, ahem, Marvell, they paid me half of the guy with a degree for the same work. They said it was because they believed in education. Only just before I started my college course, they cancelled the college reimbursement benefit. (they were doing great at the time, no drop in revenue). A friend at Apple told me he could not get tools for his job because they said the company couldn't not afford it. Apple had 20+ billion in cash in the bank at time. (Since then, shareholders got it. Clever. Google still has their cash).

Most sports
Handling stress
Controlling my upset feelings
Whistling
Snapping my fingers
Maintaining an IRL relationship
Singing
Competitive video games (yes, I am a casual player)
Social studies/history class
Letting things go
Keeping promises to myself
Staying on a diet

Sport
Silencing my inner critic
Believing in myself
Controlling my anger and anxiety
Concentrating when reading or work
Starting conversations
Remembering what I have just read or been told
Saying no

Dancing (in public)
Catching a ball
Throwing a ball - the silly part of this is that I can throw a rock with deadly accuracy but if I try to throw something to someone in a friendly manner it could go anywhere.

Ice skating. I tried several times but I'm used to skiing and when you fall on skis it's not awful every time. When you fall on ice skates it's awful every time because ice is so hard. :fearscream: I hit my head a few times and got the fear. You have to be a badass to ice skate.

Last edited:
Sport.
There is other things, but I think it is a negative to put things that you are not good at, its best to concentrate on other things that you are good at. There's a great big long list of things I am not good at and plenty people to criticise, so I won't.

New Threads

Top Bottom