• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The worst school subject

Which it is?

• Maths

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Your language/literature

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Foreign languages

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Physics

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • History

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • P.E.

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • Geography

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Art/Music

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Chemistry

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Biology

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
PE and I wanted to be good at it as I have poor co-ordination.
I remember I didnt learn to walk until I was 14 months and then my Dad used to taunt me for falling down as I did it a lot.
I can't blame him but I wanted to be in the teams and good at sport.
I couldn't understand why kids could leap over fences, yet I couldn't. I couldn't understand why it took me till 9 years old to pedal a bike, I still can't ride one properly.
Netball was terrible, I remember the PE teacher saying a game I was in was the silliest she had seen.
Rounders, a girl in my PE group told me off in front of the kids, and teacher.

I remember I didnt learn to walk until I was 14 months and then my Dad used to taunt me for falling down as I did it a lot.
I couldn't understand why kids could leap over fences, yet I couldn't. I couldn't understand why it took me till 9 years old to pedal a bike, I still can't ride one properly.
Netball was terrible, I remember the PE teacher saying a game I was in was the silliest she had seen.
Bizarrely one time I was good at rounders ,the moon was very cobalt blue the night before(sarcasm).

My uncle didn't walk until he was 2 that's our family .

The worst school subject...?
Mine wasn't on there. It was Career Guidance. Because it was a required class, I had to take it (a second time) until I passed it.

It wasn't a read-then-test format like the classes that I was successful at. It was training in social skills, as geared toward seeking employment. It was very counter-intuitive to me.

I also felt like a wipe-out in Intro to Chemistry, but I ate up Physics.
full

When I was out sick for a week, I came back during the section on electricity & electronics, but got totally lost then.

Later (in the Navy), I was trained in electricity/electronics in a self-paced course that they use. I got it that time, but they started from scratch.

It wasn't a read-then-test format like the classes that I was successful at.
This was the issue I had with English Literature. In one part of the A level paper, they gave you a poem that you hadn't studied before and then asked you to analyse it. I completely flunked this. Algebra was a problem for the same reason, but not geometry or trigonmometry. What I lacked in algrbra, I made up for in those.

My high school freshman English teacher earned the nickname “Stoneface,” since she NEVER smiled. She didn’t change much from when my parents had her for English in the early 1950’s.
My high school freshman english teacher said he is "unsensitive to tears" when we get bad marks. At the end of the year one guy had 4,47 average grade (grades from 1 to 5) and he didn't give him 5 at the end of the year because it's lower than 4,5. Many other teachers give 5 for 4,4 and even 4,3.
14 months is ok, I think, I read that 18 months or more is too long. I learned at some 17-18 months, according to my parents. I simply learn things more slowly than my peers, learning to ride a bike at 7 and to swim at 10 while many know both at 5-6. Now I ride my bike a lot, but still have problem with riding off saddle and with one arm off.

I don't believe it's on the list but we had a subject that was called 'Knowledge about Society'. It was the most boring thing I've ever had to attend, with material that included, above anything else, literally learning specific laws, Latin rules, how Parliament worked etc. As a teenager, I couldn't care less and it was the only subject I would feel like falling asleep on. And I was an A student at the time which made it even worse because it was expected I would be perfect at it. So. Boring. Ugh.

And I hated PE as well because we would always be settled in groups of girls and boys and most girls were simply pathetic at the time. They didn't want to get sweaty, so they wouldn't put their all in the lesson. Also, we would be forced to play volleyball most often, which I hated due to my previous teacher. So, I would have to stand with these little whining girls watching the boys having the time of their lives outside pushing each other, sprinting around during football matches and just dreaming of joining them. Which couldn't happen because 'I was a girl and girls aren't like boys'. Ugh. I still hate stereotypes.

Had I not been able to drop out of chemistry, the experience would have demolished my GPA. The one and only subject in high school that I had to bail out of, rather than take a D or F in.

Had fun with a chemistry set as a kid, but that wasn't about chemistry intellectually or scientifically. I got seriously blindsided at the time. My bad. :oops:

Honestly, I don't remember enjoying school lessons much - the only exception been science as back them I was pretty curious about how stuff worked and you occasionally saw/did some interesting stuff - like learning and watching how materials reacted when you set them on fire/put them in water/acid/alkaline/oxygen, etc.
(I still remember our teacher accidentally causing a mini explosion when he put a piece of burning magnesium into a test tube of oxygen - much to our amusement)

I hated P.E a lot (like many of us) - often been one of the last people to be picked and one of the last places in running, etc.
It became more bearable during my last year as we did more stuff in the school gym, so I was able to go at my own pace on the running machine, etc. instead of listening to a teacher barking orders at me.

I was absolutely hopeless at foreign languages; for French, I can literally remember the words for "hello", "goodbye" and "shut up" - that's it.

The rest of the subjects were pretty much 'meh' - nothing special to note.

Of course I hated P.E. I was odd and there was a game called dodgeball that they always wanted us to play. The kids called it "smear the queer" (that was offensive to me even in the early 80's!)

Of course I ended up being the target:eek:. At the time I thought I would grow up to be a doctor so I was studying everything medical. The medical term for bruise is "subdermal hematoma". I did not lie but I always had bruises from tree climbing, falling over and being a general klutz.

I told the P.E. teacher I shouldn't play because I had a subdermal hematoma. That worked for weeks until one day we had a substitute teacher for dodge ball day :oops:

I used my excuse on him... problem was that the guy was in his last year of pre-med. He grinned at me and said "You mean subdural hematoma!" (a blood clot under the dura mater membrane under the skull). I ended up with weeks worth of pent up "not hitting "the tard" with a rubber ball as hard as it could be thrown". I ended up with quite a few subdural hematomas that day :(

Of course I hated P.E. I was odd and there was a game called dodgeball that they always wanted us to play. The kids called it "smear the queer" (that was offensive to me even in the early 80's!)

Of course I ended up being the target:eek:. At the time I thought I would grow up to be a doctor so I was studying everything medical. The medical term for bruise is "subdermal hematoma". I did not lie but I always had bruises from tree climbing, falling over and being a general klutz.

I told the P.E. teacher I shouldn't play because I had a subdermal hematoma. That worked for weeks until one day we had a substitute teacher for dodge ball day :oops:

I used my excuse on him... problem was that the guy was in his last year of pre-med. He grinned at me and said "You mean subdural hematoma!" (a blood clot under the dura mater membrane under the skull). I ended up with weeks worth of pent up "not hitting "the tard" with a rubber ball as hard as it could be thrown". I ended up with quite a few subdural hematomas that day :(
Dodgeball was a game that we played as little kids, 1st to 4th grade. I also hated it. Now we play football or basketball, but I'm simply bad at any ball sport.

P.E. leads in a survey, making it a breaking point between NT and ASD because in my class many find P.E. a favourite subject.

Honestly, I don't remember enjoying school lessons much - the only exception been science as back them I was pretty curious about how stuff worked and you occasionally saw/did some interesting stuff - like learning and watching how materials reacted when you set them on fire/put them in water/acid/alkaline/oxygen, etc.
(I still remember our teacher accidentally causing a mini explosion when he put a piece of burning magnesium into a test tube of oxygen - much to our amusement)

I hated P.E a lot (like many of us) - often been one of the last people to be picked and one of the last places in running, etc.
It became more bearable during my last year as we did more stuff in the school gym, so I was able to go at my own pace on the running machine, etc. instead of listening to a teacher barking orders at me.

I was absolutely hopeless at foreign languages; for French, I can literally remember the words for "hello", "goodbye" and "shut up" - that's it.

The rest of the subjects were pretty much 'meh' - nothing special to note.
Yeah it's common for Aspies to hate PE, I've heard we hated team games I was no exception, I felt inadequate as we didnt know AS then.

Dodgeball was a game that we played as little kids, 1st to 4th grade. I also hated it. Now we play football or basketball, but I'm simply bad at any ball sport.

P.E. leads in a survey, making it a breaking point between NT and ASD because in my class many find P.E. a favourite subject.
We played a type of dodgeball and I liked it as it was soft and less threatening. Like softball, not as harsh as rounders, easier rules. I guess PE gave me the opportunity to burn off energy but the interactions with people, in team sports was terrible.
I remember doing shot put and discuss and although throwing things was not my thing, the teacher said I did well and suggested I put in for sports day until a group of girls put me off.

I don't believe it's on the list but we had a subject that was called 'Knowledge about Society'. It was the most boring thing I've ever had to attend, with material that included, above anything else, literally learning specific laws, Latin rules, how Parliament worked etc. As a teenager, I couldn't care less and it was the only subject I would feel like falling asleep on. And I was an A student at the time which made it even worse because it was expected I would be perfect at it. So. Boring. Ugh.

And I hated PE as well because we would always be settled in groups of girls and boys and most girls were simply pathetic at the time. They didn't want to get sweaty, so they wouldn't put their all in the lesson. Also, we would be forced to play volleyball most often, which I hated due to my previous teacher. So, I would have to stand with these little whining girls watching the boys having the time of their lives outside pushing each other, sprinting around during football matches and just dreaming of joining them. Which couldn't happen because 'I was a girl and girls aren't like boys'. Ugh. I still hate stereotypes.
Luckily we never did volleyball I just know I would have been terrible.

Luckily we never did volleyball I just know I would have been terrible.

Volleyball itself isn't bad, I'd say, I know it can be fun at times. It's our teacher that was awful. I think she intended to create a new team for the future championships or whatever, she would always, always shout at us and scream that we should play with 'dedication and sacrifice'. Which in her mind meant throwing ourselves after the ball onto our knees etc. I did it, in the beginning, but I had a sudden growth spurt, as well as the intensive extracurrical trainings with her which caused me to develop Osgood-Schlatter disease. The pain was so bad it was difficult to move my legs at times and any stairs were a torture. But sure, I was exaggerating in her and my parents eyes. 2 years before they took me to doctor when I almost couldn't walk and even touching my knees lightly just hurt and, sure enough, no PE till the end of middle school at the least for me. And hatred towards volleyball for life. Yay. And then, when I got better and wanted to train and have fun at PE again, no, 'you're a girl and you can't, here, get bored and annoyed at volleyball games you hate so much instead'.

Screw narcissistic teachers and arrogant adults in general.

Apologies for the rant. I hated school.

Volleyball itself isn't bad, I'd say, I know it can be fun at times. It's our teacher that was awful. I think she intended to create a new team for the future championships or whatever, she would always, always shout at us and scream that we should play with 'dedication and sacrifice'. Which in her mind meant throwing ourselves after the ball onto our knees etc. I did it, in the beginning, but I had a sudden growth spurt, as well as the intensive extracurrical trainings with her which caused me to develop Osgood-Schlatter disease. The pain was so bad it was difficult to move my legs at times and any stairs were a torture. But sure, I was exaggerating in her and my parents eyes. 2 years before they took me to doctor when I almost couldn't walk and even touching my knees lightly just hurt and, sure enough, no PE till the end of middle school at the least for me. And hatred towards volleyball for life. Yay. And then, when I got better and wanted to train and have fun at PE again, no, 'you're a girl and you can't, here, get bored and annoyed at volleyball games you hate so much instead'.

Screw narcissistic teachers and arrogant adults in general.

Apologies for the rant. I hated school.
I'm sure many enjoy volleyball as well as other team sports, including espies, some are good at sport but poor at say tying laces, fiddly tasks.
We are not suited to mainstream school. I know I was maladjusted because of choosing to be naughty but aspies should be in schools that are more friendly to their needs.
Teachers want all kids to conform.
Sorry you developed the painful disease.

All this disdain for history, sociology, poli sci, etc. I don't understand. I loved those subjects! This is how your world works. This machinery is what makes the difference between a Trump or a Bernie Sanders. It's the difference between the Affordable Health Care Act and no health care at all.

Every year there's a big effort to get the college crowd to get out and vote and it always falls short. You can get them out to protest on a moment's notice for just about any cause but less often to a voting booth. I guess voting isn't fun enough.

I don't have the latest numbers but the 18-29 age group typically has about half the % turnout of the 64+ age group. Ranges from 20-40%. (I'm sure the lower age range of this is among the less likely to vote.) Voting increases steadily with age. Voting steadily increases with educational attainment. Interestingly, blacks and whites vote at the same rate while Hispanics and everyone else vote at lower rates.

Yeah it's common for Aspies to hate PE, I've heard we hated team games I was no exception, I felt inadequate as we didnt know AS then.
I didn't so much hate PE as I hated the way it was taught.

When I was young, PE served two purposes. One was extra training for the kids who were good at stuff and maybe would play on the school's teams. The other was to prepare us for boot camp. Most of us could count on being drafted and many of us could count on being sent to war. That's just how it was in the 60s, with Vietnam looming. PE was a little boot camp with formations and drills followed by practice in whatever sport was in season.

I was no good at all at any sport requiring proprioception, muscle memory, or eye-hand coordination. I wasn't wired for it. If someone had taken the time, I could have grown from a horrible athlete to an adequate athlete. Just a few minutes off to the side every few days would have done it but PE was really focused on the top 1/3 and the rest of us were along for the ride. Always being picked last, the disgust of the other students for having you on their team, ridicule by the coaches, all these things wear on you.

I could have been good at strength-based sports or track and field but I lacked any enthusiasm after being knoocked down for so long. Just a little encouragement would have done it but it wasn't the purpose of PE to lift the poor performer but to enhance the already good performer. Ah well.

Then we got into the locker room for mandatory nude showers. Yet another prep for the military. (This was long before the internet, tiny digital cameras, and pedophelia fears. Same sex social nudity didn't strike fear into anyone.) I wasn't circumcised - the only uncut person any of them had ever seen. None of them had even heard of the term and thought penises were naturally circumcised. More teasing and ridicule, just what I needed.

Solved that by retracting my foreskin and suddenly I looked "normal." But that meant other issues "came up" if I wasn't quick about that shower. :oops:

By the time my daughter got to high school, PE didn't really exist. The instructor had no real training for it. Classes were coed, showers were forbidden (nude or clothed) and no sports. All they did was kick or throw a ball around if they felt like it and walk around the track if they didn't. Gone from one extreme to the other.

New Threads

Top Bottom