• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The worst school subject

Which it is?

• Maths

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Your language/literature

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Foreign languages

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Physics

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • History

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • P.E.

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • Geography

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Art/Music

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Chemistry

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Biology

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Dadamen

Which is or was when you went to school? For me it's history, hours of studying to get a B or C and annoying teacher.

Actually feel I need multiple votes here, hard to chose just one. PE, followed by maths and then English literature. I liked foreign languages and sciences, though!

Shame that have to choose just one, because there were a few.

Maths. I got my first migrain in my first math's lesson as a child and from there, it panicked me to be in that class. Ironically, though, If you were to ask me what comes before or after a number, I could tell you without a second thought and yet, with the alphebet, I cannot do that.

Hated P.E time and tried to get out of it and some times succeeded as I was a hinderance. When the team leader had to choose who was to be on their team, at all times, the teacher had to say, who will take her ie me? So embarrassing.

I went to a special school, so just touched the tip of history, but did rather enjoy the tiny bit I learned. There was no such things as biology classes, so never learned that. But did have cookery class and that was tolerable and though, I do not like cooking.

Everybody is gonna have there own loved and hated subjects in school by personal preference. What I would like to know is, is how much of this is influenced by relationships between teachers and other peers. Plus, what subjects did you miss the opportunity to try because of peer pressure or bureaucratic red tape in the school system.

I found P.E. a nightmare before, now I have a good teacher and it is easy. Also, liked history before, but now have awful teacher. It's all about the teacher. Our history teacher is a person with two faces. She acts "the best teacher in the world", but before or later you found out her real personality. I even have ideas that she might be aspie because of her lack of empathy and she also has obsessions, in her case these are films. Every lesson she connects history that we learn with some film that she "recommends us to watch". Recently we did French revolution, Napoleon Bonaparte and American War of independence and she mentioned at least 10 films in one lesson. During the Christmas holiday we usually don't get homework, but she gave us to watch a 5-hour documentary. Croatian (my language) was awful one year when I had an awful teacher. She forced us to read a reader every week.

Now will change the survey into multiple vote. Looks like P.E. is bad to many autistics.

The way things were taught wasn't usually interesting to me, and the teachers were often difficult to learn from. I liked English, History and Art but not much else, so things got easier in the 6th form. Yet I am interested in many areas and ideas, and often find out about a topic through personal research. The Internet is a great resource.

Trying to learn two foreign languages was unbearable I barely grasped French didnt pass french,then German was thrown at me couldn't grasp that ,but apparently O levels in education were harder than A levels(British matriculation for children up to the late 1980s then GCSE'S were substituted ,relied on coursework instead of examinations )didn't pass O level anything ,(CSEs were supposedly easier then O levels not for me)

I chose art/music and foreign languages, mainly because they're not usually funded that well (where I am) and kids don't take those classes seriously, so they goof off and are distracting.

I picked foreign languages, but I only had trouble with Swedish, which is why I dropped out of high school. No difficulties with English, though.
I also picked P.E., because I really don't like sports, especially team sports.

Sorry but I didn't find the most annoying and unnecessary school subject on the poll - religion - please add!

I checked everything but science related subjects (maths, physics, biology, chemistry), own language and other languages (applies only to english).
Everything else should be optional because different people have different interests and strong spots, and it might or might not be useful to know/be good at, AT ALL.
If P.E. wasn't just a circle jerk but an actual training with motivational support it would actually be a good subject.

Last edited:
Algebra was the worst subject for me in school. I just barely passed Pre-Algebra and a couple of years later they made me take an Algebra 1 class. I failed this class 3 times before I passed it my Senior year with a B. I do not know why they come up with such classes. Algebra never made any sense to me. Even basic math was hard for me.

History was called Social Studies when I went to school. And I don't know that I ever learnt Physics. It was just called Science.

I failed PE in years 8 and 9. The teacher would yell at me and as soon as he did that, I'd take myself off to the library.

Maths was the worst by the time we got to 7th grade.
I could learn it, but, it was so boring and I kept thinking what good will this stuff ever do for me in life?

PE was second and I got a doctor to get me out of taking it in grades 6 -8 due to asthma.

History was Social Studies when I went to school also. Didn't care much for it.
Also had something called Home Ec. Ick. Not the domestic type. Sewing aprons and making
cookies just didn't cut it for me.

I liked Music, Art, Acting, Science, Physics, and English.

Sorry but I didn't find the most annoying and unnecessary school subject on the poll - religion - please add!
In my country religion is not mandatory and you can choose ethics instead of it. I dropped out of religion in 4th grade because it was boring. BUT i have a super boring subject this and only this school year that is called sociology.
Maths leads in the survey, P.E. is just below maths, but the difference is that maths causes problem to both NTs and autistics, but P.E. is a favourite subject for many NTs.

The one I disliked the most was "Civic Education". I don't know how common is in other countries, but essentially you need to learn how the government works, how can you get involved with it if you wish to do so, and a variety of laws that applies to all and in particular when you're working.

I appreciate the usefulness of it now, but it bore me to death when I was 16.

For algebra I had a high school teacher that earned her nickname “Sominex.” (Even though her BS Ed from my collegiate alma mater.)

For high school geometry, the teacher used to be the secretary of the v.p. Of sales where my dad was employed.

My high school freshman English teacher earned the nickname “Stoneface,” since she NEVER smiled. She didn’t change much from when my parents had her for English in the early 1950’s.

Phys Ed teachers were the worst of the worst, as they were all sadistic bastards. The worst of them was the department head and athletic director, <sarcasm>affectionately known as Chrome Dome.</sarcasm>

New Threads

Top Bottom