• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The World Is Loud

What I truly enjoy is a golf course early in the morning, or later at night. So calm and Quiet! If I'm hitting balls in the dark, I like to hear the echoes of impact amongst the houses. The quality of the sound is often an indicator of how well I hit the shot.

This world - such a cacophony of ceaseless, mostly meaningless racket... I wonder... Is it just a clever "glamor" for the gulf of silence between individuals? Oh, how we prattle on, but do we really ever say anything, anymore??? And, what goes unsaid/unnoticed in the enormity of the fearsome quiet?
*parentheses removed for effect*

Wow! Such eloquence. Seldom does poetry even move me as what you have said here.

I dont have a problem with noise most of the time because i am hard of hearing. if i wear my hearing aids then i hear way too much in my opinion. that is when it gets loud.

Yes, it's horribly, intolerably, mind-numbing loudo_O *Get a good MP3 player; load it with your favorite tracks, and invest in a nice pair of "noise-reduction ear buds". A bonus, if you are female : Guys will try to chat you up less - or just in general, the NTs are less likely to pester you with small talk. ( See - every cloud does have a "silver lining" - LOL! )

Wearing headphones actually doesn't work for me: other people still pester me. I don't have the internet at home, so I have to use a computer where I work as a volunteer when I am not on duty, but when I do so I am often pestered by the people who are here (it gets quite busy), when all I want to do is be left in peace! Just yesterday some stranger approached me and said, "You look quite busy". Gee, really?! Why are you bothering me then?! This morning one of the other volunteers asked if I would count the cash, and I told him, "No, I'm not working today, do it yourself". Now some machine is making a loud, buzzing noise!

Aaaaarrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get me off this INSANE planet!

Yes, way too loud. Why must every store and restaurant have music on? And I hate when I can hear music coming out of other people's cars.

Even when you make a phone call, you are forced to listen to some computerized loop of music, or else recorded announcements every two seconds. Even worse, that awful music can become an ear worm!:mad:

It's weird as I live around the corner from one of the main roads into central London, and 2-3 miles from central London, as well as 0.1miles and 0.3 miles from the closest rail stations-but my street you can hear a pin drop at night and during the day it is usually pretty quiet as well.
I grew up in Islington in London and the noise of the tube trains went under my bedroom. Now I'm in Cornwall a million miles from things like that but you still get sqwalking seagulls, tractors, mowing, angle grinding and general farm noises out in the sticks. Can't win!

I grew up in Islington in London and the noise of the tube trains went under my bedroom. Now I'm in Cornwall a million miles from things like that but you still get sqwalking seagulls, tractors, mowing, angle grinding and general farm noises out in the sticks. Can't win!
I live on the border of Islington and Hackney, a few feet away overground trains go under the ground, as the nearest station is under the ground even though it is an 'overground' line. Confusing haha. Anyway the sound and vibration proofing they have done is superb, never feel or hear any of the trains passing through, only very rarely hear a trains horn.

I have sensitive hearing and always pick up some humming, vibrating, or beeping noise that others don't notice. I also have tinnitus so even in complete silence I hear a ringing in my head. I wish I could experience true silence for just a few moments to see what it is like. I imagine it is tranquilizing.

If you can afford it, you should try spending time in a sensory deprivation tank. I've done it and I had a jolly good time; it's not as scary as it sounds, and it is very quiet.

Very loud indeed! I can barely stand it sometimes. the television is one of the worst offenders, the advertisements are really annoying. Everything is obnoxious and over the top. Extreme this, and Extreme that. I Just want a little pocket of silence that I can be away from the horrible noise people make as they crawl around like insects, buzzing away, full of self importance.

I had been wishing I was deaf for years! The world is nothing but a loud, smelly, and bright torture chamber of sensory nightmares!

I agree, it is too loud. And getting louder as there are more people, and not only that, many of those people have less consideration for others.

Thankfully I live in a place now where I don't have to deal with noise and people. I also like to watch movies and shows from the 70s and 80s, which seem to show how many fewer people there were in the world and how much quieter it was.

When I want extreme quiet, I can go up north during the off-season and you can go for miles without seeing anybody. No cell phone signal either.

I first learned about misophonia from an episode of 20/20. And yet they were doing all the things on the show people with misophonia cannot STAND: showing people crunching their food, slurping their coffee and speaking loudly. How did they expect someone with misophonia to even sit though that?

I sometimes think my older brother might have misophonia because he would flip out at me if we were eating and I made any noise chewing my food. But he probably doesn't because he never did that when we were eating with our parents. It was only when we ate alone that he'd smack me, mockingly imitate me, and call me every farm animal in the book. Aren't brothers great?:smilingimp:

Ooooh, I know... ( Little dogs are the worst! ) Chihuahuas can hit a pitch that just makes my brain cells curdle:mad:o_O

So true!! I've objected every time my family wanted a dog and been ignored every time, for a total of four dogs! And three of them have been chihuahuas! Torture! Then my family immediately forgets I had objected so if I ever complain, they act confused, "what do you mean you don't like dogs??"

It's so scary how people will have a reality and forget or ignore anything different from it. They've always just pretended I'm them and anything that says otherwise is met with renewed confusion and denial. :mad:

I first learned about misophonia from an episode of 20/20. And yet they were doing all the things on the show people with misophonia cannot STAND: showing people crunching their food, slurping their coffee and speaking loudly. How did they expect someone with misophonia to even sit though that?

I sometimes think my older brother might have misophonia because he would flip out at me if we were eating and I made any noise chewing my food. But he probably doesn't because he never did that when we were eating with our parents. It was only when we ate alone that he'd smack me, mockingly imitate me, and call me every farm animal in the book. Aren't brothers great?:smilingimp:

I'd smack him back but harder if someone smacked me.

New Threads

Top Bottom