• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Terror of Finishing Things.

gregmcph

Just curious to see if this is just my own personal weirdness.
I'm a Computer Programmer by trade (yes, cliche). I can spend weeks, even months working on a piece of software, and then one day, it gets to a stage when I can try it out. Click on an Icon, and make the program run. And that frightens me.

That moment when all the abstract ideas and algorithms become Reality. What if it doesn't work? (well, if it doesn't, and the first time it probably wont, you fix it. simple). But it gives me genuine stress.

And I find that in real life too. The terror of an approaching appointment date. Or the terror of a ball arriving at my feet in a game of soccer. She is kissing me NOW, and I have to react to this NOW. Fear of the Future arriving and needing to be dealt with.

Anyway, just a random thing in my head wanting to be let out.

Well, the Jungians call that Perceiving (as opposed to Judging). Trust me, that's why I can't, for example, ask women out. (Not that I've wanted to in the last several years, but you get the idea.)

The uncertainty of looking over a completed project (I write, any programming is a relief to finish) can make me nervous. I view it as more suspense than terror, though.

Pretty much any chore "hanging over my head" stresses me to some extent.

Around this time of year it's always the same. Filing my income tax return. :eek:

Probably why I have so many unfinished projects. Always come up with a better way to do it even years later. But if it is finished, then I can at least take notes for a future revision or new model.

The reality of the click. Might be common. Like after going though all the motions, you still don't realize you locked your keys in your car till you hear that click.

Just curious to see if this is just my own personal weirdness.
I'm a Computer Programmer by trade (yes, cliche). I can spend weeks, even months working on a piece of software, and then one day, it gets to a stage when I can try it out. Click on an Icon, and make the program run. And that frightens me.

That moment when all the abstract ideas and algorithms become Reality. What if it doesn't work? (well, if it doesn't, and the first time it probably wont, you fix it. simple). But it gives me genuine stress.

And I find that in real life too. The terror of an approaching appointment date. Or the terror of a ball arriving at my feet in a game of soccer. She is kissing me NOW, and I have to react to this NOW. Fear of the Future arriving and needing to be dealt with.

Anyway, just a random thing in my head wanting to be let out.

I can relate, to an extent. I work really well with deadlines, so I like to have that structure reminding me to stay focused (not that I need much help with that!). My biggest problem is once I reach the point that I can see the final product, I KNOW I'm almost done, I lose interest. I knit and crochet, and I will get excited about starting a new project, know what I want to do, get it all planned out and started, and then once it's time to put together the final pieces, I just don't want to anymore. Happens all the time, with just about anything I do.

I have anxiety every time I start a major project. Then I'm ok until it's almost finished then I get anxious again. I have a lot of personal projects sitting around my computer that are 90-95% complete.
If I don't finish it then I can shield myself from the possible rejection from people not liking it when I show them. I guess it's ultimately fear of failure. If I don't fully try, I can't fail.
By the way, I do have some completed projects, but the anxiety is difficult to push through.

New Threads

Top Bottom