• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Small Talk Thread V1

Anything good on Netflix? I was watching Ghost Whisperer and the woman on there is just like me! I dress the same, have the same car she drives, love antiques - it's weird. I haven't really watched any good movies lately (I listen to the radio talk stuff more).

I haven't seen Ghost Whisperer … I'm currently kind of obsessed with playing '6 degrees of BBC Sherlock', which is what drew me to Fargo. Turns out Benedict Cumberbatch has done quite a lot of work before Sherlock, then there's so much Holmesian material. And when I follow threads from the people behind Holmesian movies I bump into Star Trek movies … I'm a little intimidated by Doctor Who, so that will have to come later. Oh, yeah, House! The character is based on Holmes, and Hugh Laurie once did a series where Cumberbatch played his teenage son. So many connections!!

Anything good on Netflix? I was watching Ghost Whisperer and the woman on there is just like me! I dress the same, have the same car she drives, love antiques - it's weird. I haven't really watched any good movies lately (I listen to the radio talk stuff more).
I don't know if you'd be into this sort of thing, but I've been watching Orphan Black and I am loving it!

I don't know if you'd be into this sort of thing, but I've been watching Orphan Black and I am loving it!
My neighbor Mary told me she was watching that too and it was really good. I have it in my queue (along with about 100 other movies) so I'll have to check that out - after Big Brother that is!

"Conversational patterns
A study of small talk in situations which involve the chance meeting of strangers has been carried out by Klaus Schneider. He theorises that such a conversation consists of a number of fairly predictable segments, or "moves".

The first move is usually phrased so that it is easy for the other person to agree. It may be either a question, or a statement of opinion with a tag question. For example, an opening line such as "Lovely weather, isn't it?" is a clear invitation for agreement.

The second move is the other person's response. In functional conversations that address a particular topic, Grice's Maxim of Quantity suggests that responses should contain no more information than was explicitly asked for. Schneider claims that one of the principles of small talk contradicts the Maxim of Quantity. He suggests that politeness in small talk is maximised by responding with a more substantial answer. Going back to the example of "Lovely weather, isn't it?", to respond factually by just saying "Yes" (or even "No") is less polite than saying, "Yes, very mild for the time of year".

Schneider describes that subsequent moves may involve an acknowledgement such as "I see", a positive evaluation such as "That's nice", or what's called "idling behaviour", such as "Mmm", or "Really?"."

Material above is not small talk, but if I were to write, for instance:

"I found the idea of small talk consisting of 2 moves useful.
Sometimes it helps to have an outline, don't you think?"-----

And then someone responded, minimally....with something like:
"Yes, that does simplify the idea."

Then that exchange would resemble small talk.

New Threads

Top Bottom