• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The simple life...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Texting with my lady friend tonight, I was ruminating over a rainy day that cancelled a car show, still! Not too badly, there was still nice weather to enjoy earlier the same weekend.

Then two quick texts about spring... "I picked my first dandelion today!" and followed by "And got a letter from my penpal"

Meantime I'm miles ahead, thinking about a classic car swap meet I'd like to attend on Saturday, while in the back of my head I know there's a 50/50 chance our shop is working that day (we don't usually work weekends unless we "have" to)

I just have trouble thinking so simple like that, it might be a guy thing, I see that kind of simple thinking far more often with women, maybe an Aspie thing

I saw the same thing many years ago with another female friend, she almost didn't seem to even worry about anything, for the most part living moment to moment and letting life happen.

haha women are so simple-minded amirite

o_O

I'm struggling to see any point to this post except blatant sexism. Care to enlighten me?

No, this is not a 'women thing', it is small talk, and practised just as much by men as by women. My partner (male, NT), often comes out with these little observations about the weather or nature. I'm not one for small talk either, and while I wouldn't say somethig just for the sake of talking, taking simple pleasure out of nature is actually a good thing, because so many people take nature for granted.

Texting with my lady friend tonight, I was ruminating over a rainy day that cancelled a car show, still! Not too badly, there was still nice weather to enjoy earlier the same weekend.

Then two quick texts about spring... "I picked my first dandelion today!" and followed by "And got a letter from my penpal"

Meantime I'm miles ahead, thinking about a classic car swap meet I'd like to attend on Saturday, while in the back of my head I know there's a 50/50 chance our shop is working that day (we don't usually work weekends unless we "have" to)

I just have trouble thinking so simple like that, it might be a guy thing, I see that kind of simple thinking far more often with women, maybe an Aspie thing

I saw the same thing many years ago with another female friend, she almost didn't seem to even worry about anything, for the most part living moment to moment and letting life happen.

Just a thought... Only because I am guilty of it because I dwell on stuff like lots of ASD people do...
Maybe she was KINDLY trying to get you distracted from what you were tripping over???

I may be very wrong here... I'm not fully sure I understand what your posts is saying, but I think I might be on the path of what your talking about...

Your lady friend needs to also talk about stuff she likes... If its a dandelion let that be cool. If she's kind to you then go pick dandelions with her... and take pictures...

I have had to try so hard to get more flexible with LIFE... My rigidity was MY PROBLEM, not the problems of the people around me... I struggle with massive amounts of understanding others, but I also KNOW they have trouble understanding how bad I struggle...

ASD is a giant catch 22... sometimes it looks so messed up, until we find some way to walk/think through the fog of all this stuff that never adds up.

I think autistic people definately tend to stay focused on their concerns and interests. So yeah, they could walk thru a field and miss all the small details. Unless nature is a special interest. It often takes an act of will to stop the trains of thought. Being very relaxed also helps. I do think it worthwhile to try to learn how to slow the overactive/over focused mind. It can be done. Like anything else it just takes practice.

I think autistic people definately tend to stay focused on their concerns and interests. So yeah, they could walk thru a field and miss all the small details. Unless nature is a special interest. It often takes an act of will to stop the trains of thought. Being very relaxed also helps. I do think it worthwhile to try to learn how to slow the overactive/over focused mind. It can be done. Like anything else it just takes practice.

I think I need to learn that more, my mind is so overactive that I often think about things/events several months in advance...

It probably isn't just a female thing, I'll back track on that part...

I don't really see how the content of your thoughts
is "miles ahead." You're thinking your thoughts; the lady
friend is thinking hers. It appears you value anxiety
regarding possibilities over enjoyment of realities.

You were trying to live in the future while she was in the
present.

I don't really see how the content of your thoughts
is "miles ahead." You're thinking your thoughts; the lady
friend is thinking hers. It appears you value anxiety
regarding possibilities over enjoyment of realities.

You were trying to live in the future while she was in the
present.

Something like that... Something I wish I could do more easily...

New Threads

Top Bottom