• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale-Revised

Dirtdigger

V.I.P Member

Attachments

• Autism-Asperger's Score.jpg
    Autism-Asperger's Score.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 565
I took this test yesterday and was I surprise just how high my score was. This test is downright scary and can be used by clinicians. Has anyone taken this newest test for ASD? :spin:

The Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale-Revised (RAADS-R)

When catching on that I might have AS I took the RAADS test shortly after the Baron-Cohen AQ test. Many more questions...and yes, I also scored much higher and less proportionally compared to the Baron-Cohen AQ test.

You are right, this is a very scary test! I also scored much higher on this one, which really surprised me.

Heh.. my score doesn't surprise me.

But A. I'm diagnosed and B. the RDOS test I did a while ago pointed out something similar in that it gave me extremely high scores even compared to people on the spectrum.

RITVOtest.jpg

The thing that bothers me most is why I don't have English in my graph, but something-something eastern european (presumably Hungarian)

It's interesting to note that even the tested Neurotypicals are above the threshold to be "suspected" in most fields.

The Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale-Revised (RAADS-R)

I found the questions confusing, by which I mean I didn't know the answers to some of them.
For instance it asked if I know when someone is bored with what I'm saying.
Well, it seems to me that people are never bored with what I say. Is that because A. they really aren't (and I am able to judge that correctly)? Or is it because B. they actually are, but I don't know that? Or is it because C.I never actually talk to people? (Answer C is the most likely)

it also asks if things were true now and when you were young, or are onely true now, or were true when you were younger than 16.
What if something was true only till I was 27? (two years ago) It lasted much longer than my 16th birthday. But it wouldn't be true now. so which option should I choose?

What if I think I am putting myself in someone else's shoes, but, unknown to myself, I'm actually dead wrong about what their shoes even are? (okay, that was a messed-up sentence. Deadly to try to keep using the wording of a simile.)

One of the questions is "Sometimes I talk too loudly or too softly and I am not aware of it."
If I'm not aware of it, how can I become aware enough to answer the question?
(The answer is Yes. I know because people have pointed it out to me. But what if no one tells you?)

How am I supposed to know if I speak with a normal rythm?
A lot of these questions would be more accurately filled out if someone else was filling them out in my place ("Does she talk too loudly or softly?" "Does she speak in a normal tone?")

P.S.
I took it twice with totally different results. And I have no idea which time was more accurate, because in regards to some of the questions, I'm not sure what were the correct answers.

Last edited:
Ste11ares; you stumbled upon the issue I have with a lot of tests. They're so "black and white". It's either this or that... and sometimes you can actually have something that's in between. The age thing is such a thing. It's probably where some of us have read enough to understand there's a difference to be made about aspie traits in puberty and those when you are adult. We likely differentiate this 16 year old threshold as more than it actually is. From a logical point of view, you could say "It applied when I was 16, but it doesn't apply now" since the test asks for 16 years old, and now... not in between. But I guess you could think what caused the change and see how that factors in between puberty and adulthood. It's funny how they assume 16, and assume that everyone is at the same mental age at 16. Some people mature faster, some slower and thus having a "hard" age set causes exactly this problem you address. On the other hand, stating "16" is way more clear than "when you were maturing" because that requires an amount retrospection a lot of people don't really have.

A lot of these things do depend on what others think of you. That's a bit weird actually. People have told me I talked loud, so I'll assume I talk loud. But who says I talk loud at all? To whose standards? Loudness can be measured with instruments (like a decibel meter) because if I'm talking to someone with good hearing, it might come across as loud to this person, yet if I talk to my grandmother with terrible hearing, I might not talk loud at all.

As for putting yourself in someone elses shoes. I guess it's the thought that counts here. If you can and will try, that's something. It's where you are unable to relate to someones situation because your mind just goes blank imagining being someone else. Perhaps a good comparison would be "can you imagine yourself as the character in a book you're reading?". In general I've heard aspies have a lot of problems imagining this.

But I do agree... a lot of these questions rely on what others think, because you can't view and judge yourself in 3rd person that well.

I found the questions confusing, by which I mean I didn't know the answers to some of them.
Well, it seems to me that people are never bored with what I say. Is that because A. they really aren't (and I am able to judge that correctly)? Or is it because B. they actually are, but I don't know that? Or is it because C.I never actually talk to people? (Answer C is the most likely)

I don't have any trouble knowing when people is bored with me because I can read their faces and sometimes I'm able to change the subject or shut up completely, but then again I rattle on endlessly not caring how bored they are. So I didn't have any problem answering this question. However, some of them didn't have enough answers and should have been rephrased to include words like "almost always" and "most of the time" to fill in the gray areas that are missing. And because of the wording and lack of choices I had trouble with a few of the questions.

it also asks if things were true now and when you were young, or are onely true now, or were true when you were younger than 16.
What if something was true only till I was 27? (two years ago) It lasted much longer than my 16th birthday. But it wouldn't be true now. so which option should I choose?

I didn't even mark this as one of the answers because it was corny, since what applies now has always applied since I have ASD.

What if I think I am putting myself in someone else's shoes, but, unknown to myself, I'm actually dead wrong about what their shoes even are? (okay, that was a messed-up sentence. Deadly to try to keep using the wording of a simile.)

This is one of those corny questions that I had trouble with. Most Aspies have vey logical minds and take things literally like I do.

One of the questions is "Sometimes I talk too loudly or too softly and I am not aware of it."
(The answer is Yes. I know because people have pointed it out to me. But what if no one tells you?)

This question I had no trouble answering. Maybe when I was much younger I wasn't aware of talking too loud or too soft but I am aware of it now. I know when I get really loud because my own voice hurts my ears sometimes since I have sensory overload issues.

A lot of these questions would be more accurately filled out if someone else was filling them out in my place ("Does she talk too loudly or softly?" "Does she speak in a normal tone?")

Did you read this at the beginning of the test?

This test is designed to be administered by a clinician in a clinical setting and as such is of limited use for self diagnosis. At the very least, take this test with the assistance of someone who knows you well. If you suspect you may have an autism related disorder such as Asperger's Syndrome, by all means take this test but do not rely on the results as absolute proof either way.

Sounds like you may need another person whether professional or not, to help you out on this test

P.S.
I took it twice with totally different results. And I have no idea which time was more accurate, because in regards to some of the questions, I'm not sure what were the correct answers.

Now you know why I said this test is scary. I really don't like it because I feel like it gives a false representation or maybe some deceit is going on. I've been very happy with results of my other tests, but when I seen my score results of this test, my head started spinning. But, I was just wanting to see what others think of this test.

I found it somewhat confusing too, like Ste11aeres. Some of the questions did not seem to apply to me at all & others did not provide an answer that I thought was really accurate.

Tests can be rigidly conditional. Human behavior and all their traits? Not so much...

Test results can be interesting, but for me there's nothing like positively identifying specific traits and behaviors.

I believe Judge here is perfectly right. Tests like these do nothing but test ones cultural, social and somewhat semantic/practical understanding of the terms proposed in its questions.

You, me and someone else might have a completely different interpretation of each question, and be inclined to give three completely different answers - yet we may all be symptomatically on the same end of the spectrum.

It's just a very, very poor application of scientific methods. Not unlike social science and psychology in general. And I should know, as a social scientist myself.

Tests can be rigidly conditional. Human behavior and all their traits? Not so much...

Test results can be interesting, but for me there's nothing like positively identifying specific traits and behaviors.

Last edited:

The graph strikingly shows how different NT answers to the same questions are. I even erred on the NT side on all the ones that weren't decisive for me!

Last edited:

P.S.

I too had many similar problems. It seemed like I always wanted a "correct" answer to each of the questions, but often no such answer was given, and I got frustrated with the test. I wonder if it has something to do with aspie style black and white thinking, and what that means for the validity of tests like these.

New Threads

Top Bottom