• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The puzzle piece problem. An apology.

I absolutely hate the jigsaw-puzzle piece. It implies that people on the spectrum are incomplete, broken, and something that desperately needs to be fixed. NTs might as well be going around wearing swastikas. I'm surprised so many people here don't feel the same way about it as I do. But I accept the OP's apology. Everyone makes mistakes, but it takes a good and intelligent person to correct them.
Don't forget symbols of hatred can be seen since the dawn of time the swastika didn't originally mean antisemitism\fascism

One day a keen eyed artist was walking through an art museum when a certain work of art
caught his attention.

As he walked closer to admire it he was in awe at the creation.
It was a circular composition of all the beauty of the Earth, sky, and stars.

"Oh, my," he exclaimed.
"This is the an absolutely complete work of beauty. Brilliant in it's totallity."

As he turned to walk to the next exhibit, he noticed something laying on the floor beneath the
beautiful work of art.
"Hmmph...what is this?"

He picked it up and noticed it was a piece of the work of art and the art was a collage
made of complex pieces as a huge puzzle. Each one slightly different.
As he stood holding the piece, he looked again at the work of art...
"Oh, mercy me, there is the place this piece fits!", and replaced it.

Now standing back in admiration, his face lit up and was humbled by the completed work.
"Magnific!!! Now it is radiant!"
As he walked on, he realised how the work he thought was so grand was not complete until
he replaced that one small piece to the overall picture. It took the one piece to make it
truly whole.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is why I don't hate the puzzle piece.
I don't see it as something broken, needing to be fixed.
It is just one piece of the whole and it is needed to fit into it's place in the scheme of all there is.

One day a keen eyed artist was walking through an art museum when a certain work of art
caught his attention.

As he walked closer to admire it he was in awe at the creation.
It was a circular composition of all the beauty of the Earth, sky, and stars.

"Oh, my," he exclaimed.
"This is the an absolutely complete work of beauty. Brilliant in it's totallity."

As he turned to walk to the next exhibit, he noticed something laying on the floor beneath the
beautiful work of art.
"Hmmph...what is this?"

He picked it up and noticed it was a piece of the work of art and the art was a collage
made of complex pieces as a huge puzzle. Each one slightly different.
As he stood holding the piece, he looked again at the work of art...
"Oh, mercy me, there is the place this piece fits!", and replaced it.

Now standing back in admiration, his face lit up and was humbled by the completed work.
"Magnific!!! Now it is radiant!"
As he walked on, he realised how the work he thought was so grand was not complete until
he replaced that one small piece to the overall picture. It took the one piece to make it
truly whole.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is why I don't hate the puzzle piece.
I don't see it as something broken, needing to be fixed.
It is just one piece of the whole and it is needed to fit into it's place in the scheme of all there is.
But it's still a label, losing uniqueness ,puzzles can be replicated ,no living being is ever replicated 100%

But it's still a label, losing uniqueness ,puzzles can be replicated ,no living being is ever replicated 100%
Thus the point of the story.
The work of art represents the planet and all life here.
That ONE piece was unique. Without it the work was not whole.
The work is not a literal piece of art. It is life.

Thus the point of the story.
The work of art represents the planet and all life here.
That ONE piece was unique. Without it the work was not whole.
The work is not a literal piece of art. It is life.
Thus my point a work of art can be replicated it isn't unique same with a puzzle it isn't an accurate representation of what unique is!

Thus my point a work of art can be replicated it isn't unique same with a puzzle it isn't an accurate representation of what unique is!
The planet isn't unique? That's the work of art I'm talking about.
It is a metaphor.

Is there anything more annoying then spending hours and hours doing a 1000 piece puzzle... only to find one piece missing? It's the epitome of satisfaction, of happiness, denied. (Beside being hit in the gut with a whale harpoon that is. That's more annoying, hands down.)

Which reminds me. I was wondering recently about the phrase 'hands down'. I know what it means, but how did it come about? I couldn't come up with a reasoning. So I looked it up:

"Why do we say hands down?
The true source, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is horse racing. The earliest examples of the phrase come from 19th century sporting papers where horses win races “hands down,” meaning that victory is so secure that the jockey can relax and drop the reins before crossing the finish line."
(Mentalfloss)

I never did like puzzles, Even less so after my stroke, part of rehab, the only puzzles I enjoy are real life ones. How covid works is the one that keeps me going now. statistics great way to unravel.it every day I wait for the days before data to be released. Feels great seeing what every one else cannot see.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom