• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The puzzle piece problem. An apology.

sarepta

V.I.P Member
I recently came across an old thread discussing the puzzle piece being used as a symbol for autism, and I want to apologize for having used it.

What I didn't realize was the fact that the puzzle-symbol, as far as I understood from the thread, is made up by NT's . And for a lot of people on the spectrum it doesn't mean anything to them, other than reminding them that in all aspects of life, so-called normal people are allowed to define what is normal and what is not normal. And also, they have defined what would be a suitable symbol for those who are "not normal".
As it didn't occur to me that it wasn't autistic people themselves which had chosen the puzzle-piece as a symbol, I thought using it would signalize being an ally. I guess I can compare it to how I feel when people are using rainbow-symbols to show they are supporting gay rights. It makes me feel safe. (Partly because gay people probably were the ones coming up with the idea for a rainbow) In this case, however, I realize I might just as well have offended people.

I am an NT and I am not trying to pretend I know anything about what a lot of you have experienced. I understand that one of the reasons that many people like to spend time on this site is because here you meet others who treat you with the respect and understanding that you deserve in every parts of life, but unfortunately a lot of you have countless awful experiences with NT's.
I really want to be an ally, but I'm still learning. And I am really thankful for having the opportunity to learn from all the things people share in here.
Thank you!

I don't know what you're talking about but
it's ok! :)

If you used a puzzle piece as your profile picture or something and someone got upset about it I'm sure that came from a very small portion of the community and doesn't reflect the whole.

That was a very kind and thoughtful post. I don't like the puzzle piece because it seems odd, like we are puzzling, but Aspies make perfect sense to me.

I don't know what would be a better symbol since we are all very unique from one another. What would others like it to be?

I don't know what you're talking about but
it's ok! :)

If you used a puzzle piece as your profile picture or something and someone got upset about it I'm sure that came from a very small portion of the community and doesn't reflect the whole.

This was more like a -just in case. In the forumpost I read, I understood that quite a lot of people on the forum thinks the puzzle piece is provocative, something I really understand after reading their arguments.

I've always loved working jigsaw puzzles, so puzzle pieces are not offensive to me, but I never thought much about it. @OkRad - I like that you put the thought out there asking what others would like to see the symbol being. My first thought was a 'do not touch' cactus. lol

The origins of the puzzle piece, the primary symbol for autism, go back to 1963. It was created by Gerald Gasson, a parent and board member for the National Autistic Society (formerly The Society for Autistic Children) in London. The board believed autistic people suffered from a ‘puzzling’ condition.

The Autism Puzzle Piece A Symbol That's Going to stay or ...
the-art-of-autism.com/the-autism-puzzle-piece-a-symbol-of-what/

There, see - I didn't know this. When I see a puzzle piece I always thought complicated pieces of puzzles.

The puzzle piece never bothered me.
Maybe I take the meaning in a different sense than meaning we are a puzzle.
I see it a symbol that everyone is different (NTs or NDs) yet all are one.
Take away one piece from a puzzle and the picture is now not complete.
Each person is a part of the whole picture.
The whole universe. Something like this:
one.jpg

What a thoughtful, kind hearted post. I've not had a problem with the puzzle piece, even having known I was on the spectrum for over 30 years. I guess it's always been there. It's been associated with autism for such a long time it would be difficult to replace. I see the point when people criticise it, but the fact remains that we ARE a puzzle to most NTs and they are to us. It can just as easily be considered a benign symbol of the shared difficulty ASD & NT people have understanding one another, as the symbol of division and marginalisation some perceive it to be.

Artistically I rather like the multi-color puzzle piece motif. I have cut out scarves from the fabric that my wife sells to raise funds at her school her program (Special Education). Its nearly all NTs who buy it. Pretty identical to this:

il_570xN.859408558_9vw8.jpg

As an autistic I wouldn't wear one, because I do not like labels or self identify myself.

When I see someone wearing the puzzle piece pin I think, Good, that person donated money!
But I don’t identify with it, it doesn’t talk to me in any way. But if NTs want to buy items with the symbol and the money helps fund practical support for autistic people, then I’m ok with that.

I don't think that a puzzle piece is meant to typify everything about autism any more than I would expect McDonald's to serve nothing but big, yellow M's.

It's very kind-hearted and thoughtful of you to apologize. I'd hate to waste the effort you put into it, so I'm going to save your apology for later. The next time a coworker or driver ticks me off, I'll just say, "Apology accepted," and move on.

I just see it as a symbol and metaphor translated by and for Neurotypicals, regarding autistic people. Not sure if it truly deserves an apology though.

Though from my own perspective, I'd rather just be a person than a metaphor reflecting a mystery. That said, I have an NT cousin who is utterly offended by the term "Neurotypical". So it's all relative. Literally at times! :confused:

It's true what you say @Judge
I've known gay people who proudly describe themselves as "queer" but consider the term "straight" as offensive by implication, and others who like to be called "gay", hate "queer" but don't mind "straight" at all. It's all a question of perspective and opinion in the end.

It means little to me, honestly. Just another label. It's very thoughtful of you though, thank you for being so supportive. I think that just being accepting and understanding of our differences as you are is enough.

Thanks for all the replies! And really cool to read what you think about this and also to see your suggestions for symbols.

A knit rainbow sweater!

Or a rainbow quilt.

But it has to have square patches, not puzzle piece patches.

A$ ruined puzzles for me.
Now that you say it, oddly, I feel that, too. I don't like puzzles now and I don't like to look at them.

New Threads

Top Bottom