• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The physical fitness thread

Warmheart

Something nerdy this way comes
V.I.P Member
Here's a positive thread to share our current fitness routines, or future goals!
Or, feel free to ask how-to excercise questions.
What are you working on?
Strength? Flexibility? Better cardio-fitness?
Or maybe Post-injury physical therapy?

Do you stretch, swim, lift, run, walk with ankle weights, or maybe do core-strengthening to safeguard your back?

What equipment is part of your routine? Resistance bands, free weights, a heating pad for ouch-y muscles?

Got goals, excercise questions, or ideas? Share away! :grinning:
This is a positive place for inspiration, encouragement and support!

:walking::swimmer::runner::snowboarder::bicyclist::surfer::rowboat::mountainbiker:

Cycle long distance every other day (weather permitting & not on weekends). Walk on the days that I don't cycle. I do some basic yoga, with my nice green mat, and I have a funny contraption for doing sit ups that consists of a set of stirrups connected to an elastic line.

Use small free weights and a stability ball sometimes, (if I don't fall off it right away) also practice kicks and punches. I have a framed photograph of these guys (given to me by a friend) watching me as incentive to keep going:|

Genthe7-778x609.png

Last edited:
Oh, there's also a new outdoor gym for adults on the bike path nearby. With lots of interesting things to do in it. I've been stopping to try out the different pieces of exercise equipment. The one I go to is similar to this one but without the people.

home.jpg

Last edited:
I like your routine, Mia! Outdoor gyms are a fantastic idea, too. Fresh air plus training! Love it!

Used to try and exercise in the children's playground area, when it was empty. But everything was too small. Think the idea of a free gym for adults is brilliant, at first I didn't know what it really was. Don't know who built it, perhaps the local city. It's going to be interesting as people are beginning to use it a little. Don't know how usable it will be in the cold weather.

Currently, I do
20 minutes t'ai chi in the morning (Yang 24 form)
55 reps with medium strength resistance band, 2x/day
Core stretching, hamstrings, too.
10 crunches
10 lower abdominal leg-lifts
20 oblique crunches, 10 per side
15 push-ups <---- saved 'till last, as my reward! :)
Most of this is PT due to a life-changing injury i had, a 25+ foot fall in a warehouse from a second story, onto metal plating flooring while in a wandering state (elopement).
But now, I'm having fun with these excercises. :D

My goal next is to be able to do a pull-up! I'm getting professional guidance at the YMCA this week. I can do a dead hang for more than 10 seconds, but not easily. I lack upper body and grip. Working on it! ;) I'm waiting for some grip trainers I ordered to come from Amazon.

I run, 6-12km depending, and if I'm not doing that it's either karate, boxing, parkour or long distance cycling 50km upwards. I've been trying to work on my strength as of late, as my cardio is fine, but my upper body is not quite where I'd like it to be.

Last edited:
Currently, I do
20 minutes t'ai chi in the morning (Yang 24 form)
55 reps with medium strength resistance band, 2x/day
Core stretching, hamstrings, too.
10 crunches
10 lower abdominal leg-lifts
20 oblique crunches, 10 per side
15 push-ups <---- saved 'till last, as my reward! :)
Most of this is PT due to a life-changing injury i had, a 25+ foot fall in a warehouse from a second story, onto metal plating flooring while in a wandering state (elopement).
But now, I'm having fun with these excercises. :D

My goal next is to be able to do a pull-up! I'm getting professional guidance at the YMCA this week. I can do a dead hang for more than 10 seconds, but not easily. I lack upper body and grip. Working on it! ;) I'm waiting for some grip trainers I ordered to come from Amazon.

Starting with your chin above the bar and lowering as slowly as you are able is a great way to build the muscles necessary to perform a pull up. There are also devices called pull up assists, which are basically a sling for your leg to reduce the weight you are pulling up.

I've started going to a gym a few weeks back. I used to go to a gym maybe about 6 or 7 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised when I started that I had much more endurance than I expected and more strength than I used to have when I used to go before. I can thank that thanks to working a fairly physical job.

I re joined because I have gained 15 pounds this summer working at a long term project that fed me well each day. I got up to 172 pounds and said to myself I have to reverse this. 15 pounds can turn into 50 pounds before you know what happened if you are not careful.

I'm mostly focusing on leg development as they more so need it compared to my upper body. Also working those largest muscles in your body burn fat faster. I've gotten into dead lifting and squats with an olympic bar which is something I've never done before. I do the different grip positions of pull ups. 7 wide grip pull ups is about the best I can manage for now. Leg lunges (or some call them dips I think) with a 65 pound weight in each hand for 20 lunges. Repeat a couple more sets with lesser weight. I'm putting in 15 min of cardio each session. Get the heart up around 165-175 bpm and run about 2.5km on the treadmill or elliptical in that time. If I can't make it to the gym I try to get in 50 push ups then continuing in lesser sets. Some core work, crunches and what not. It is encouraging to see notable results in just a couple weeks. One day I can be well shaped and maybe even have something like visible abs. :kissingclosed:

Last edited:
I do long distance running. Typically 25-35 miles per week this time of the year. I sometimes do push-ups as well.

I do 3 sets of 12 reps with the free weights, 3 sets of 50 reps on the sit-up bench (increasing by ten each week until failure), and 20 minutes at 30 MPH or faster on the stationary bike. I wish I could run, as I enjoyed it. But I am missing parts out of my right leg, have nerve damage in my right leg, and am carrying part of a highway in both legs. The bike isn't abusive and it is an excellent cardio workout.

On one wall I have a poster of Darth Vadar to motivate me.

Here's my home gym:

37551_2911f853ca006b7c172e9dfc8b4f8531.JPG
Nice setup Sportster.

I have a very simple setup in the garage downstairs, but it's enough to do all the muscle groups which I do once every week. I also try to walk about 8km twice a week (weather permitting).
IMG_0542S.jpg
For pullups I have a very expensive setup - 2 'S' hooks hanging from a beam above :)
IMG_0543S.jpg

I just walk a lot but have never measured my distance, just watch me in action with my camera at a local festival or just simply doing some street photography, I feel it's quite active, different than going to a gym.

Also this summer I've been getting a little into bicycling as I have time using a vintage 1950 bike! A new acquisition for me.

I do long distance running. Typically 25-35 miles per week this time of the year. I sometimes do push-ups as well.
Jealous! I used to do a bit of distance running long ago, but nowadays my achilles tendons & calf muscles just say NO so I walk instead.

I have a treadmill, which due to the small size of my house is in my living room. I walk (briskly) 1.5 miles every morning, then squats (which I've been trying to build up week by week). I also use a resistance band that has like handles either end for my arms. I do various arm exercises with it every morning too. I've been trying to get my husband to get his set of weights from his parents house, but so far they're still there :rolleyes::p

Last edited:
I recently graduated to using 8 lbs free hand weights so I'm pretty stoked about that. I mostly walk around my neighborhood and do workout programs on Darebee.com. I finally got a workout bench that's pretty awesome, I have yet to try any of the hard stuff since I'm just testing it out.

New Threads

Top Bottom