• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Olympics - Tokyo 2021

A bit disappointed about the Simone Biles withdrawal. Part of me wonders how much of it was injury-related and how much of it was mentally psyching herself out. I had a feeling when seeing her before the competition started, she looked worried. Sometimes when everyone puts you so high on a pedestal, there's too much pressure to be perfect. Still think she is the best though.
That she withdrew, on camera & then returned to the seats to support the team is remarkable. I felt sad she withdrew, then something else, maybe support and admiration for taking control and making a stand for mental health in general and her own.

'OK not to be OK': Mental health takes top role at Olympics

I saw this post and it was a well put summary:

"Simone Biles, who stepped out of competition, the German gymnastics team who chose to compete in tights rather than leotards, the Norwegian handball players who refused to play in ass-baring bikinis (Pink offered to pay their fines), tennis champ Naomi Osaka's refusal to do a press conference immediately after a match and testimony about what a toll those conferences take: these young women are modeling for girls and young women and everyone else how to set boundaries, stand up for yourself, not let others dictate what is right and reasonable, and claim their right to dignity and self-determination. Women who said no. Women who valued themselves and trusted their judgment.

For me, who largely ignores sports, these are their finest moves and plays. “‘I have to put my pride aside,’ Biles said afterward. ‘I have to do what's right for me and focus on my mental health and not jeopardize my health and my well-being. So that's why I decided to kind of take a step back. At the end of the day, we're human, too, so we have to protect our mind and our body rather than just go out there and do what the world wants us to do.’” I'm proud of her. She made her exit with grace and self-awareness."

When Tiger Woods lost his edge, he reduced his ability to propel a small ball into a small hole.

When Simone Biles lost her edge, she risks catastrophic injury over any number of gymnastic routines she would have to perform if she continues. Yeah, if your mental health isn't on par with your physical health, it's not worth continuing to compete just to satisfy the public and the media.

Take care of number one, Simone. The media and the public will just have to move on.

When Tiger Woods lost his edge, he reduced his ability to propel a small ball into a small hole.

When Simone Biles lost her edge, she risks catastrophic injury over any number of gymnastic routines she would have to perform if she continues. Yeah, if your mental health isn't on par with your physical health, it's not worth continuing to compete just to satisfy the public and the media.

Take care of number one, Simone. The media and the public will just have to move on.
Ya, I think people forget this when they criticize her for not pushing through and shaking it off like a "true" athlete. The risk for a major injury is so much greater, especially with the level of difficulty she does.

I remember the Kerri Strug vault and how much I admired her pushing through her injury to get her team to gold. But then after watching the documentary about the gymnastics sexual assault scandal they showed the true reasons behind that vault which were daunting, how the coaches pushed her to do it just to win the gold, risking permanent injury and early retirement at 18 yrs old. These children are treated as expendable assets just for Olympic glory, sad really.

Last edited:
Loved watching the BMX races. Wild course...with a rough asphalt surface.

Funny to note that during the race the bike seats seem little more than an accessory. Where only after the race is concluded that they can adjust the seat and actually sit on it to ride. :p

Too bad they don't have Motocross as well as an Olympic sport. Quite a physically exhausting athletic event in itself.

Thought I'd start an Olympic thread...

I've always looked forward to the Olympics even though I'm not much into sports. Love the worldwide cooperation and individual country pride.

Very much interested how the Tokyo games will play out during the pandemic. Hope everything goes well...
Certain countries have pulled out competitors if they have to compete against an Israeli competitor but some of those countries competitors rebel and then(leave that for another section of the forum)

Certain countries have pulled out competitors if they have to compete against an Israeli competitor but some of those countries competitors rebel and then(leave that for another section of the forum)
Yes I saw a couple of individual competitors withdrawing because they didn't want to compete with an Israeli competitor but that it was a decision made by the individual, not by their country. From what I read, their own country's Olympic committees were not backing their withdrawal and plan to punish them for their actions back home. But ya can leave the politics for another section...

Last edited:
How about that BMX Freestyle event?

Holy cow, they were defying gravity more than snowboarders in the half-pipe. Can hardly wait for the remaining races when the real pros strut their stuff. :cool:

Tough break for fellow Nevadan Connor Fields who was injured in a BMX qualifying run. Hope he heals quickly. Just another reminder how dangerous some of these sports really are. :eek:

Connor Fields in concussion protocol with rib, lung injuries

So close. Today at BMX Freestyle an athlete from my country was 0.30points away from 3rd place, he finished 4th. But anyway a great huge presentation.

He grew up near my town, I didnt now but he worked as a salesman in a butcher shop when he was around 14yo to get money for a bike.

I think my favorite moment so far is when the two high jumpers decided to share the Gold.

It's been a really emotional games.

Sport Climbing is my favorite new Olympic sport so far!

So happy that Evan Dunfee finally gets a Olympic medal (50 km walk, bronze).

While not necessarily the most talented guy, definitely one of the most dedicated, hardest working and smart guys, is not afraid to call out injustices / cheating, openly speaks his mind, is super approachable, humble, and does lots of work in the community, including fundraising for kids sports.

Come to think of it, some of those attributes are markers for the spectrum (!)

Congrats to Burkina Faso for winning their first Olympic medal ever!

Also to my "homeboy" from India winning our very first gold medal in Track and Field in Javelin Throw.

Watched a lot of Olympics and was happy because they were finally held. It was interesting to see some sports I've never seen before. Only my country Croatia made me a bit disappointed because of earning few medals (8, 3 gold) it was 10 and 5 gold in Rio de Janeiro. Our water polo, handball and basketball teams are not what they were before. Also no medals in athletics (3 and 2 gold in Rio athletics). We also had some missed chances in combative sports (wrestling, judo, karate) and in the shooting.

Watched a lot of Olympics and was happy because they were finally held. It was interesting to see some sports I've never seen before. Only my country Croatia made me a bit disappointed because of earning few medals (8, 3 gold) it was 10 and 5 gold in Rio de Janeiro. Our water polo, handball and basketball teams are not what they were before. Also no medals in athletics (3 and 2 gold in Rio athletics). We also had some missed chances in combative sports (wrestling, judo, karate) and in the shooting.
I feel like this has been the case for a lot of countries and athletes this Olympics. I've seen a lot more tumbles, injuries, and mistakes this time around (could be just me) and I'm guessing the pandemic is mostly to blame for it along with the uncertainty of the Olympics itself. Just threw off the momentum. But it's also good to see other countries who don't normally win medals take advantage.

Such athletes are like finely tuned "engines". To have to wait another full twelve months to compete must have thrown off any number of top-rated athletes in so many ways. Tough break for the host nation Japan, and all the athletes in general around the world.

New Threads

Top Bottom