• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The little things..

Major Tom

Searching for ground control...
V.I.P Member
This winter has been a lesson in how the little things in life, (like running water) should not be taken for granted. These past two weeks I've been having water troubles. The pipes on my well, or city water keep freezing up left and right. Today I fixed it by using my head, using the hot water from the hot water heater to slowly melt away the ice, from the inside.
3878252300_5fc9dbb1c6_o.jpg
Anyways after 2 nightmarish weeks of not being able to regularly bathe, do laundry, etc. I was sitting in a hot bath, so happy, I made the decision to never take running water for granted again. There's many other things I've learned not to take for granted either over the course of life. I was wondering if any of you had similar experiences, and would like to share?

Yes, after being diagnosed with cancer I understood that youth and good health should never be taken for granted. Life in general shouldn't be taken for granted, as it limited and all has to end one day. Nothing should be taken for granted.

fixed it by using my head

I had an image of you bashing your head against the frozen pipe. :D

I have actually never taken water for granted, due to how I was raised ( negative way). So, from when I am brushing my teeth, to not let the water run, whilst that action is under way, to not letting the tap run, when I am washing vegetables etc.

Due to several electricity shortages, I am left horrified with how much one relies on electrity, to the extent, that we must now get a generater, as there are things that need electricity ie fridge and freezers.

We also now have plenty of candles in and oil lamps and I endeavour to switch off lighting if not going to be i the room.

I find it most satisfying to be like this, rather than be uncaring about what we are blessed to have.

Also come from an era where the computer was just coming out and thus, know how to survive if necessary.

This winter has been a lesson in how the little things in life, (like running water) should not be taken for granted. These past two weeks I've been having water troubles. The pipes on my well, or city water keep freezing up left and right. Today I fixed it by using my head, using the hot water from the hot water heater to slowly melt away the ice, from the inside.
View attachment 41798
Anyways after 2 nightmarish weeks of not being able to regularly bathe, do laundry, etc. I was sitting in a hot bath, so happy, I made the decision to never take running water for granted again. There's many other things I've learned not to take for granted either over the course of life. I was wondering if any of you had similar experiences, and would like to share?

I have lived in rural coastal Texas, or out in the boonies of the "big country" most all my life. Its a whole different experience than city life. You have to constantly plan ahead, make your trips count. I am responsible if something goes wrong, and there isn't usually anyone to call to fix the messes we make.

Its in a way a hard life, but I also think it is a great way to be deeply connected to REAL LIFE.
Out here I cant just go home with a nearly empty fuel tank on my vehicle. Its 30 miles back to the closest gas or diesel. I cant just go for a cold drink... Thats a 60 mile round trip. I have to make sure of so many things that maybe a person in a nice apt complex in a city doesn't have to even consider. Yet in that it makes me always use my head, come up with reasonable plans to how to manage what I must do everyday. So for me I think its a very healthy way of life, not easy, but healthy.

View attachment 41798
A simple trick to keep your pipes from freezing is to let a faucet trickle when the temp gets cold enough to freeze a pipe.
Water that is moving can't freeze as readily as water that is at rest. ;)

There are also electrical freeze tapes available for mobile homes that properly insulated will prevent a pipe from freezing.

EASY HEAT AHB Electric Water Pipe Freeze Proof Heated Cable Tape *PICK SIZE* New | eBay

Last edited:
I have lived in rural coastal Texas, or out in the boonies of the "big country" most all my life. Its a whole different experience than city life. You have to constantly plan ahead, make your trips count. I am responsible if something goes wrong, and there isn't usually anyone to call to fix the messes we make.

Its in a way a hard life, but I also think it is a great way to be deeply connected to REAL LIFE.
Out here I cant just go home with a nearly empty fuel tank on my vehicle. Its 30 miles back to the closest gas or diesel. I cant just go for a cold drink... Thats a 60 mile round trip. I have to make sure of so many things that maybe a person in a nice apt complex in a city doesn't have to even consider. Yet in that it makes me always use my head, come up with reasonable plans to how to manage what I must do everyday. So for me I think its a very healthy way of life, not easy, but healthy.
i was in a bus in the northern territories of Australia ,I noticed a sign saying this is the last shop for 300 miles,I still can't quite take in a shop being 300 miles away , in my mind there is always a cloud of dust when I think of that moment ,as there were always Japanese tourists driving as fast as a car could possibly move and the ensuing cloud of dry soil being thrown up into the air .

View attachment 41798
being able to walk at any speed you like and not be breathless

View attachment 41798
Having experienced sporadic interruptions to normal civic functioning, I've identified the following 4 cornerstones of civilisation: water, electricity, sanitation (sewerage system) and internet.

There is a terrible water shortage in Cape Town, South Africa. The taps are apparently going to be switched off in April:
Looming water shortages spell catastrophe for Cape Town
Much of the crisis is due to the proliferation of alien trees sucking the rivers dry and sapping the watertable:
The alien plants sucking South Africa dry – can companies help?
Basically we need more education from environmentalists and biologists about planting only indigenous trees:
A pity there aren’t millions of this guy on every continent.

I hear this. Though you don't need to live 30 miles from "town" to have a respect and appreciation for being forward thinking and self-sufficient in most things. I find 10 miles to be enough to give me pause before I "just run to the store."

View attachment 41798
i remember a character from a Roman set comedy called 'plebs ' saying "I found some chicken in my teeth "in a very satisfied tone.
i'm the same .

The other day I was at work and I was about to complain about how I have to get up from my desk and walk to the printer room every 10 minutes. But then I realized someone in Ethiopia would beat my ass for that to be on their list of problems, and I laughed.

So the thing I don't take for granted is how easy I've got it in life compared to others.

Having experienced sporadic interruptions to normal civic functioning, I've identified the following 4 cornerstones of civilisation: water, electricity, sanitation (sewerage system) and internet.

There is a terrible water shortage in Cape Town, South Africa. The taps are apparently going to be switched off in April:
Looming water shortages spell catastrophe for Cape Town
Much of the crisis is due to the proliferation of alien trees sucking the rivers dry and sapping the watertable:
The alien plants sucking South Africa dry – can companies help?
Basically we need more education from environmentalists and biologists about planting only indigenous trees:
A pity there aren’t millions of this guy on every continent.

Wow, what an amazing guy, thanks for posting this.

New Threads

Top Bottom