• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The last thing you bought?

Dog toys, dog treats, dog harnesses. Everything I buy is dog related. I haven't bought anything for myself in months. Okay, maybe food. But the dogs get part of that.

20220304_195717.jpg

20220304_200132.jpg

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk in AVG livery collector plate.
Prior to WWII, the US government allowed military pilots to fly as soldiers of fortune against the Japanese in Burma in the American Volunteer Group.
The group was known as the Flying Tigers Squadron which eventually got melded into the US Army Air Corps because of the outstanding performance they showed prior to us entering our hat in the ring.
This particular aircraft is sporting a Chinese star on the right hand wing because after all, it was in defense of China.

Funny how time changes things, isn't it?

An interesting tidbit to add is that the 1710 cubic inch displacement V-12 engines that powered these crates were produced by the Allison Division of none other than the auto maker General Motors ;)

Last edited:
Two more $5 vintage dog books :p About two of my breeds that I currently have.
I have a Newfoundland, and a Pointer, but not a Setter. Yet. :D

Still searching for a Dogo Argentino book, so if anyone can find one, used and in good condition, please let me know!! (I can’t afford new books with my dog expenses :( Everything has to go to the dogs!)

6BB2D9CF-60A5-4210-BF88-D17589962AA3.jpeg
C88F6844-AA97-4D24-AD43-0584980A363E.jpeg

Lower pulley (billet aluminum upgrade), on/off brake switch, 5 feet leather belting material, reproducer gaskets -- for Edison Home Phonograph which I bought in scrap condition & have been fixing since October 2019. This is getting embarrassing, but these are some of the last pieces needed to be able to play a record on it--so I'm sure there will be some flaw that takes six months to fix.

Also, winding key for 1903-1904 Edison Gem Model A Phonograph. Why I bother fixing it, I have no idea.

Xlink bluetooth device, for pairing my off-brand cellphone with my Northern Electric Model 1 desk phone--a long needed piece.

Parts for my homemade computer.

Small mahogany eight-day clock by Sessions. I'm not sure how old it is--1910s or 1920s maybe.

The finish is roached--I'll have to clean it first which should lighten it a lot, and then French-polish it with shellac & mild abrasives. Also the right-hand side of the case is falling off. Fun little wood-working project; I think I can make it look like it's actually been cared for.

It doesn't need batteries, which is nice--but I have to get a key to crank it up with and then I think I can get it going from there.

The small, well-made wooden case & the intricate Maltese-cross and trident designs on the hands really appealed to me. You can't get a Walmart clock that looks good like this. Might take a bit to get it going again but I think I can sweet-talk it back into life, just like with most antiques. It's almost like they want to run.

Sessions clock.jpg
Sessions gears.jpg

A music box that looks like a Sorrento. It has a Sanyo movement in it but it has all signs of a Sorrento including the signature inlay flowers and high gloss finish.

Finally found a Dogo Argentino breed encyclopedia!! It’s in Spanish, but I understand it better than I expected.

The book about Podengos is extremely rare and I had to ship it from England.

“The Pointer and His Predecessors” is the oldest and most famous book about Pointers, I believe. It’s from the 1800s but this is obviously a reprint.

3B182A01-A6F2-4A5E-865B-42EE6FA9019C.jpeg

This difficult-to-find porcelain sculpture of a Pointer and a Gordon Setter. It was not really expensive actually… I suspect it’s another one of my vintage items that the previous owner did not realize the value of.

These handsome fellas need a good cleaning, and some names.

1E75C14C-F2F2-42D0-95D9-0652EA35C1F4.jpeg

I decided to get an electric fan that I've been looking to score for quite some time. These are really neat but I never thought I could afford one.

Today I was in an antique store--a huge tumbledown factory with three or four floors of dead peoples' things on display. I went there to go window-shop antique wind-up clocks. Then I got distracted for an hour. I found a music book from 1900 and an old pump organ, so I went & started playing music and lost track of time--rain coming down outside, sitting on a corner of a bench playing an old foot-pumped parlor organ from the 1880s back in the appliance room. One of those moments where you become the YouTube 10 hour ambient mix.

Anyway when one of the clerks came through I went & brought the music book with me, was walking out, and saw this old fan in a jumble of old metal and heaters and that sort of garbage on the floor. Picked it up and I asked what the price was; he said it was ten dollars. That sounds reasonable. Last time I saw one of these it was $125 and that was three or four years ago.

The original motor runs great on all three speeds; I think it's a nice one to keep. It pushes a lot of air and I thought the bright chrome and explicitly Art Deco styling were a nice look for it.
276151412_7510661268958933_2598998520433860754_n.jpg

I decided to get an electric fan that I've been looking to score for quite some time. These are really neat but I never thought I could afford one.

Today I was in an antique store--a huge tumbledown factory with three or four floors of dead peoples' things on display. I went there to go window-shop antique wind-up clocks. Then I got distracted for an hour. I found a music book from 1900 and an old pump organ, so I went & started playing music and lost track of time--rain coming down outside, sitting on a corner of a bench playing an old foot-pumped parlor organ from the 1880s back in the appliance room. One of those moments where you become the YouTube 10 hour ambient mix.

Anyway when one of the clerks came through I went & brought the music book with me, was walking out, and saw this old fan in a jumble of old metal and heaters and that sort of garbage on the floor. Picked it up and I asked what the price was; he said it was ten dollars. That sounds reasonable. Last time I saw one of these it was $125 and that was three or four years ago.

The original motor runs great on all three speeds; I think it's a nice one to keep. It pushes a lot of air and I thought the bright chrome and explicitly Art Deco styling were a nice look for it.
276151412_7510661268958933_2598998520433860754_n.jpg
If you play pieces on your organ at home that are low pitched all the way through could you post a picture here ^-^

If you play pieces on your organ at home that are low pitched all the way through could you post a picture here ^-^

If I can try recording it, maybe. The organ at the antique-shop was a big one, an 1870s Sterling Organ with 13 stops, and sub-bass reeds on the low end. You can work the stop knobs on it & make it sound almost like violas or cellos, and the Sub-Bass stop has a deep booming sound to it. Unfortunately it's four miles from the house & I don't think I can afford it at this time.

I have a 1892 Loring & Blake at home, with only 11 stops (the standard for entry-level parlor organs) and no sub-bass at all, but some nice-sounding bass reeds anyway that will sound if I engage the couplers (they will automatically play an octave lower, and it can sound really neat.) Still sounds pretty great, though.

The organ I have at home is a little organ with 11 stops and no sub-bass. I read your post & then tried playing an offertory from that book on my L&B organ with the bass coupler engaged. It can be a bit muddy-sounding and of course vintage organs are rarely tuned to modern concert pitch esp since it didn't exist back then.

The best organs for music with deep frequencies are pipe organs, of course--especially when they come with a pedalboard to play low notes. A full-sized electronic organ would also do it.

Now you have done got me curious, @Streetwise, about seeing if I can play experimental low-frequency music on an organ that hasn't been tuned since 1892 and still get it to sound good. If I can work up something that sounds good & has plenty of low frequencies & such, I'll try recording it for you, how about that.

Do you have any favorite notes/frequencies I can work with (low C, low A--a number in hertz would also work?) Something I can work into a chord progression or build something around? Major or minor key? Minor scales tend to melancholy; major scales can sound happy. I like working in E major so I can hang out on the black keys but everyone's preference is a bit different.

Its not a favourite note, its high pitched gets really painfu,l think its lack of sleep ,you don't have to drag your self back to the warehouse! ,just if its easy to do any time in the future ^-^

New Threads

Top Bottom