1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Last Book You Read

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Questella, May 12, 2017.

1. Questella

Questella Peace, Love and all that good stuff

Lol
    You don't have taxes on books?!? :eek: LUCKY!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

It took a while to get used to but reading is fine. The tactile nature is different though as you rightly surmise. I generally only use it when travelling / on holidsy because it's just practical. Either that or for the convenience of being able to get a book immediately if I fancy it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Optimus

But fear not! I still prefer the real article as evidenced by my bookcases...
    20170512_233422.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. xudo

xudo something and nothing

My Kindle is pretty old now (4th gen I believe) and I have to say that the e-ink is amazing. I couldn't believe how much it actually does look like a real printed page.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Questella

Nice! When I was young I always dreamed having my own in house library. Oh the evil unfair world. :<

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Professori

Professori Professori

Avid reader all my life, and it unusual to find the younger generation actually read books, given technology.

Have just finished 'All is grace' by Brennan Manning. I don't like fiction because it is just misleading. I prefer authors who write about life as it is - all have a story to tell, and all have struggled in one way or another.

I think that with age one tends to forget the facade that is expected by society, and focus on reality.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kirsty

Kirsty ND

untitled.png :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Buzzerfly

Buzzerfly Well-Known Member

Either of you can read my book if you want :). No one else does! I have it priced as low as they will let me sell it for. You don't have to have a Kindle to read kindle ebooks, just as long as you download Amazons free reader app. Also, I can apparently "lend" my digital copy to someone for 2 weeks. NTs are like fish who follow a school, and my book has no clout. I just wish someone would read it and be brutally honest. I want to know if I'm wasting my time.

• Like Like x 3
  9. TapTap

TapTap New Member

I like reading, it's good to cut-off from the world and unlike movies, music or video games, it can't be heard or watched if you don't want to, it's like going in a magical bubble that only let your imagination be all of your senses.

Even young, I liked reading. In fact, because I hated sleeping, I would hide in the toilet, put on the light and read until very late and if someone came in, I would fake being at the toilet and go to sleep for real.... Sadly, the trick was once discovered and didn't wanted to be yelled at another time^^

The last book I read was Partials, well, not the the first time I read it, the fourth in fact ( as I finally got the third part of the story, have to start it all over again ) but it is a good read.

It's about a world where only aroound 0,01% of the humans survived after a war against super-soldiers and now, no baby can be born because of a virus. The writer have a easy style so it's easy to read and the story gets more addictive as time pass before being so awesome in the end... and it's a saga so can't wait to be done with all the books^^

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope Well-Known Member

Oh Sapiens! Is it good? I'm planning to read it in about ... 3 books time ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lady Penelope

You may like Sam Kean. His books are: disappearing spoon
    Violinists thumb
    duelling neuro surgeons...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. xudo

xudo something and nothing

It is! Well...what I've read so far :p I'm about half way through it, but I'm also part way through a few other books too..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lady Penelope

Thats a relief... hoped it wasn't too jargony.

I went on a theme binge of late:
    The northmens fury. Parker
    The silk roads. Frankopan
    The witches salem 1692. Schiff
    the case against fragrance. Grenville
    Originals. Grant
    suspicious minds. Gold
    psychopath inside. Fallon
    ego trick. Baggini
    Never split the difference. Voss
    quiet. Cain
    spinster. Bolick
    The confidence gap. Harris

• Like Like x 3
  14. Bolletje

Bolletje Overly complicated potato V.I.P Member

I most recently read American Gods by Neil Gaiman. LOVE IT

• Like Like x 3
  15. JackSkellington

JackSkellington Active Member

I read The Martian today. I don't get the appeal of it. It was so boring! I like science in books but this was just sooo long and extra "wordy" when it didn't need to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Aeolienne

Aeolienne Well-Known Member

Today I finished How the Hippies Saved Physics: Science, counterculture and the quantum revival by David Kaiser and I've just begun The Orkneyinga Saga by Anon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Questella

A couple days ago I finished another cute teen novel, "Going Vintage," by Lindsey Leavitt. The cover totally caught my eye and I love old timey stuff from before my time so I really got into it, it was a good read with some twists at the end I totally didn't expect. :*

Now I'm starting a book called Violent Ends by it looks like multiple authors. It's been very interesting, almost like a bunch a short stories based around a central theme. I started it earlier today and have been attached to it very much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Questella

I really like how all of your books are the same size! x3 Makes me so happy in such a weird way, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Optimus

Reminds me of Dodgeball...

"Are you... reading a dictionary?!?"
    "Oh... you caught me... I like to break a mental sweat too!"

lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Fridgemagnetman

Fridgemagnetman I only have one V.I.P Member

There's a quote somewhere found it :

Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth. Camus

Perhaps not applicable to an autistic outlook!

My view is that fiction is an enclosed system and complete 'reality' and it is possible to tell the truth from inside that system.
    Outside , reality is messy and,in a way, it is impossible to separate the single from the whole when trying to find meaning. Ie it's too complicated.
    So we invent stories to simplify it.

That may make sense or it may be complete tosh

• Like Like x 2